Does Microsoft compensate developers if it assimilates their idea into a first-party solution?

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
We've all seen it plenty of times...

DropBox: Sydrive
Hello Indigo: Cortana
Fitbit band: Microsoft band

Microsoft has also alluded to incorporating other features into Cortana such as more comprehensive weather reporting, package tracking, home automation control, etc.

Just wondering what happens to these developers after their app ideas are basically conglomerated and transformed to in-house solutions...

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft has also alluded to incorporating other features into Cortana such as more comprehensive weather reporting, package tracking, home automation control, etc.

Just wondering what happens to these developers after their app ideas are basically conglomerated and transformed to in-house solutions...

They don't like Google doesn't when they do that with Android or Apple when they do that with iOS.

Given how innovations float around from company to company, from service to service, from platform to platform, with everyone borrowing from everyone, I don't see why Microsoft would compensate when the others don't do it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's kind of funny, because Microsoft are much more supportive of competition. E.g. Promoting fitbit with the 830. Linking dropbox directly into office365 etc.

You don't see that from Google or Apple.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
lol

I'll second that in acknowledging both G and A similarly "borrow" ideas.
If one were to develop HW or SW - a Hidden Gem if you like - and add support for the Windows platform; it'd certainly be beneficial to know what M's official stance was.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Dropbox, Hello Indigo and Fitbit are competitors to OneDrive, Cortana and the Microsoft Band respectively so no, they wouldn't compensate them.

Unless you feel that Microsoft should compensate competitors when they create competing products?

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
So Surmisation wants Microsoft to go to other business (who may offer similar products and services) and pay them?

Hells teeth, what a stupid idea. It's called business and competition.

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
This is a risk all third party application makers on a platform run, being undone by their own success. In the Apple world it was known as sherlocking, named for a popular search tool that was incorporated into Mac OS. Now whenever that happens an app is said to have been sherlocked.

I don't think that Microsoft Band is the best example of sherlocking, though onedrive and Cortana certainly could be. More clear could be the failed Unification universal notification system which was completely made obsolete by 8.1

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Where are the Microsofties on this? Checking with PR or playing nonchalant?
Can we get some resolution? Please; for the love of pixels.

We aren't really affiliated with MS, so you can't expect an official response from them.
But no, I never really heard of companies paying anything to services they mimic or whatever. (competition and stuff)
I've seen patent licensing, outright acquisitions, but otherwise, eh.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to worry about someone taking your idea and making it better, then just don't make an app.
Competition exists. If it's not something you are willing to accept, then it's not the business for you.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to worry about someone taking your idea and making it better, then just don't make an app.
Competition exists. If it's not something you are willing to accept, then it's not the business for you.

You're absolutely correct, and I concur. But do you realize that this can carry a lot further than just creating apps that do the same thing? This forum used to have a lot of threads about how Microsoft's Modern UI is being copied by their competition. Does your statement apply there?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You're absolutely correct, and I concur. But do you realize that this can carry a lot further than just creating apps that do the same thing? This forum used to have a lot of threads about how Microsoft's Modern UI is being copied by their competition. Does your statement apply there?

It depends. Just like it depends on apps.

If you can create similar functionality, but you do it your own way, then that's competition.

If you violate someone else's copyright or patent, then that's a different story.

I haven't seen much of competition outright copying Microsoft's Modern UI. But I do see that many of the principles that the Modern UI uses has also inspired design decisions for other platforms.

When it comes to apps vs apps, if someone comes out with something totally unique and innovative, they should make sure they get legal protection. If it is not innovative enough to get those legal protections because it's based on existing ideas already, then there should be no surprise when someone else does it too. For most apps, there are many developers working on ideas almost identical.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
We aren't really affiliated with MS, so you can't expect an official response from them.
But no, I never really heard of companies paying anything to services they mimic or whatever. (competition and stuff)
I've seen patent licensing, outright acquisitions, but otherwise, eh.

Like our Hidden Gems? Then welcome these Microsoft employees to our forums! | Windows Central

Yeah, I think those last two options are the loose suggestion. Make hardware or software that M doesn't care to bet on with manpower and resources. If people like it, then three options arise.

1. Work for M.
2. Sell M your creation.
3. M will make a version of its own because it's popular with the people.

If HW and SW developers patent their ideas and creations, then M is prohibited from acting on #3. But doing so requires additional effort, form-filling, and sometimes legal assistance. Not to mention, the US patent system is flawed beyond repair. And when suits are brought, judges can be bought. *cough cough Asian judge who presides over all of Apple's cases cough cough* & that's the US. Then a developer would have to apply for patents in any additional countries in which it wished to protect it's product.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The answer is yes as I personally saw this happen with software and personnel.

Microsoft wants the best. If you or your software are quality, they'll make every effort.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
MSFT is free to copy/make their own version of anything out there ... if it isn't patented. Sometimes they'll buy up existing companies for their products (e.g. Skype) or make competing products (e.g. OneDrive). The business world can be brutal and small companies are especially vulnerable.

BTW, this isn't specific to MSFT, it applies to all companies.

Hwa-Rang

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
MSFT is free to copy/make their own version of anything out there ... if it isn't patented. Sometimes they'll buy up existing companies for their products (e.g. Skype) or make competing products (e.g. OneDrive). The business world can be brutal and small companies are especially vulnerable.

Yeah, this is very right. I agree with this view:The business world can be brutal and small companies are especially vulnerable.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Sky is Blue. Grass is Green.

The Hidden Gems contest seems like a nice gesture by MS, albeit one that serves them as well. They toss a bone to these indie devs, while at the same time gauging consumer interest in various apps, hardware, and services.

I'd argue that it's a grain of sand in the children's pail, especially if they wind up assimilating the idea. But as you infer, business is business.

*typed from a rare laptop not of 768p resolution

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas