Complaint about Denim delay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I guess that's it. But my HTC 8X didn't picked up my call when I hold it to my ear. Only flip to silence, which Nokia also made possible after a while. But what I think is strange: Why should the OEM's have to make those features possible if Microsoft could make it a standard feature / option in the OS if the api's allows it from the beginning?

For several reasons. Phones differ in hardware. Some come with sensor a, but not sensor b, some come with none of them, some come with both. The way Microsoft used to handle it (and still does) is leaving it up to the OEMs to offer features that are as close to the available hardware as possible. It's just less error/failure/bug potential.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Furthermore if it's imbedded in the OS improvemets need a OS update. Improvements/updates are much easier released if it is an app.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Furthermore if it's imbedded in the OS improvemets need a OS update. Improvements/updates are much easier released if it is an app.

Which is the very reason why apps like Xbox Music, Xbox Video, mail and calendar have been decoupled from the OS.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Good grief, some of you are a bunch of whiny babies!

"Oh boo hoo! I didn't get some minor update to my smartphone! Suddenly my phone is rendered useless and I'm unable to do anything but whine about it!"

Yeah, it's unacceptable, alright. How dare they delay an update and force me to listen to a bunch of spoiled little brats!

#firstworldproblems

And yes, it really is a minor update... Whoopty doo... Camera improvements*, but yours works fine as-is. Cortana can listen to your temper tantrum. Lucky her!

Hmmm... I'm with you in some respects, but for anyone who is into the camera, this is a MAJOR update that will have a huge effect on usability. Have you ever tried to get a four year old to hold his pose still for 10 second so you can fire up your camera and try to take a picture that is not blurry? This is a BIG frustration with the platform, and if they have finally fixed it this will be the most important update yet for some of us.

I also think there's a position on patience somewhere in between yours and the people frustrated in this thread. I think it's understandable people are anxious, just as it's understandable that Microsoft is staggering the rollout. I think a lot of people (including myself) were really hoping to be able to use these sorely needed camera improvements for their Christmas pictures. That didn't happen, and it's a bit of a shame. Certainly not the end of the world, but understandable that there is some disappointment. The camera has been completely substandard with regards to speed and hdr for so long that we are really chomping at the bit to get them to a usable level.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... I'm with you in some respects, but for anyone who is into the camera, this is a MAJOR update that will have a huge effect on usability. Have you ever tried to get a four year old to hold his pose still for 10 second so you can fire up your camera and try to take a picture that is not blurry? This is a BIG frustration with the platform, and if they have finally fixed it this will be the most important update yet for some of us.

I also think there's a position on patience somewhere in between yours and the people frustrated in this thread. I think it's understandable people are anxious, just as it's understandable that Microsoft is staggering the rollout. I think a lot of people (including myself) were really hoping to be able to use these sorely needed camera improvements for their Christmas pictures. That didn't happen, and it's a bit of a shame. Certainly not the end of the world, but understandable that there is some disappointment. The camera has been completely substandard with regards to speed and hdr for so long that we are really chomping at the bit to get them to a usable level.

With all due respect, if a camera is that important to you, quit waiting for an update and get yourself a dedicated camera.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
+1 Totally agree with you! Tomorrow I shall buy an iPhone 6 plus and forget anything regarding updates...

Until the first one arrives that screws up your device entirely.
Which happens at least once a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I was among the first pre-ordering the 1020 that I still use for any major event. Photography is a big passion of mine. The camera is the most important attribute of my smartphone. I'm just not an impatient, self-righteous, whiny snob declaring a software update as critical to my happiness. Do I want the update? Absolutely! But I'm not gonna whine about it.

aurelian177

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
The update will bring minor fw changes for some of us. At least that's what I'm expecting for L635. I will be happy,in the near future, for an update that can enable auto-hide of navigation controls. If not, I will survive .😊

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I was among the first pre-ordering the 1020 that I still use for any major event. Photography is a big passion of mine. The camera is the most important attribute of my smartphone. I'm just not an impatient, self-righteous, whiny snob declaring a software update as critical to my happiness. Do I want the update? Absolutely! But I'm not gonna whine about it.

A bit strange for the phone noted for it's camera won't get very many of the improvements (according to the rumors) from Denim.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Keep crying....Verizon users of the #ICON (929)don't even have #Cyan yet.....and your complaining about #Denim about 2-3 weeks after the official release to any phone ? LOL

#firstworldproblems

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
A bit strange for the phone noted for it's camera won't get very many of the improvements (according to the rumors) from Denim.

Which is why I also use the 1520 as well. So you might imagine I'm quite excited for Denim as well. Again, however, I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum about it.

Frankly, I expect this type of behavior from iPhone users. Bunch of entitled snobs. But Windows phone users are much better off than Android users, and so I expect folks to be less whiny.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My bad.. I just woke up at that time :p
I managed to open the camera app now, but the "You have to update to Denim" message keeps popping up. I can close it, open it again and then use it. But I have to do that everytime I want to use it. It has to be a bug. A bug they haven't fixed in weeks

If you have an 830 it's not a bug, it's not 'available' for the 830 so until it is officially released for the 830 you have to live with Lumia Camera that you installed by 'tricking the store' Most likely the 830 will get an update to match the Denim version just released to the 930, they aren't the exactly same from what I understand.

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I use a Nokia Lumia 1020, and from what I have read the update adds almost nothing to my phone. Oh well no biggie!!

I just don't understand why the need for 4K Video. We are not shooting the next Gone with the Wind or Wizard of Oz epic movie. Is 1080 so low def now that it's the new VGA???

TV's and PC's are still bringing 4K to market so most can't even take advantage of it yet.

I can't wait for the endless list of Topics at how People will fill a phones memory with 4K video and crash the handset, then the cry will be for 1 and 2 TB of Storage should be standard.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I use a Nokia Lumia 1020, and from what I have read the update adds almost nothing to my phone. Oh well no biggie!!

I just don't understand why the need for 4K Video. We are not shooting the next Gone with the Wind or Wizard of Oz epic movie. Is 1080 so low def now that it's the new VGA???

TV's and PC's are still bringing 4K to market so most can't even take advantage of it yet.

I can't wait for the endless list of Topics at how People will fill a phones memory with 4K video and crash the handset, then the cry will be for 1 and 2 TB of Storage should be standard.

Agreed. I don't need 4K video. I don't have the space or displays to support it.

Alij382

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Which is the very reason why apps like Xbox Music, Xbox Video, mail and calendar have been decoupled from the OS.

Mail has never been decoupled from the OS.
It's very old and pathetic, and overdue for an update.
I don't uunderstand why they would introduce file picker in 8.1 almost 10 months ago and then didn't implement it in the mail yet.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mail has never been decoupled from the OS.
It's very old and pathetic, and overdue for an update.
I don't uunderstand why they would introduce file picker in 8.1 almost 10 months ago and then didn't implement it in the mail yet.

As far as I know it's a standalone app too now. I could be wrong though. And I agree 100% with you regarding the file picker. Other than that it's the best default core email app I've seen and used across all platforms. And regarding the file picker, there's this:
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=d2b228ba-39b1-4cb7-8e12-f9bf48e61281

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster