How do you think MS will do in 2015?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, it's the end of the year and as usual we tend to think ahead to the next year to see how certain companies and products will do.

So looking ahead with MS, how do you think the company will do in the coming year of 2015? Personally this has been the most excited about MS I have been over the years. I think Mandela was definitely the right choice for CEO. And that he recognizes MS new place in this world. Unfortunately we all need to accept that this isn't a windows world anymore. More people are using smartphones and tablets. And even more and more people are starting to use Mac computers, though windows still dwarfes it in marketshare. But I'm curious if windows PCs will continue to grow or not in marketshare. I do think windows 10 looks great and gives MS a good change at increasing windows usage.

Unfortunately I'm not as rosey about windows phones and tablets. I think this year (2015) is themake or break for windows phone and maybe even windows tablets. If windows 10 and merging all this stuff together in regards to app development doesn't work, then I do think this thing is done. Really hope I'm wrong though, as I do like the OS a lot. But I simplycant use it due to lack of app and dev support. I can get a pretty good MS experience on my android phone anyway.

And that maybe is the double edge sword that kills windows phone. With MS making their stuff just as good on non MS platforms (even BETTER in most cases) then it's hard to find reasons to use WP, especially when it has more weaknesses than other platforms in departments like apps and dev support.

So what do you see for MS in 2015?

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Obviously, Windows10 will be released. It will probably be released late enough in the year that it won't drastically shake up marketshare numbers, but it seems like it will be well received, much as Windows 7 was.

Tablets and phones are less clear, since the time table isn't as well defined so far. Once we at least see a better defined mock ups or some type of preview, we don't know what the OS will look like exactly. But it should be an exciting year for Microsoft.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I can get a pretty good MS experience on my android phone anyway.
Nuff said.

There's no money in hardware (see IBM (flogged to Lenovo), Sony (just ditched Vaio (again to Lenovo) etc). And with the likes of Huawei and Xaomi about to make great strides in providing cheap tech, all that MS wants is a finger in the pie to input a little direction. And not at the high-end - the developing markets are where they're looking.

Hence the push to cloud/services/software rather than hardware. Which is why we're seeing MS putting massive development into their software/services for other OS's and giving up on Windows Phone. Hardware shops like Samsung don't have a stand out cloud/services offering, MS want to capitalise on that.
MS will chuck out a couple of mediocre handsets, and as they have with Band, let others use the tech/reference designs and MS will just cash in on the services side.

Getting businesses back onside with Win10 is going to be key too...

sati01

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 will be a big success in PCs. I hope Microsoft provides the upgrade for free to maximize the adoption of the platform. I use more apps in Windows 10 because they coexist in the desktop with desktop-apps, so I think developers are going to adopt the platform.

In tablets Windows 10 Mobile could help a lot making possible devices in the $50-$100 range, and adding the WP app catalog which is more mature than Windows 8 app catalog. Windows 10 should also improve sales of hybrid devices, Microsoft dominates this segment.

Phones are more difficult. Right now Microsoft is competing only with price and the UI, that's not enough, they need something unique to sell flagship phones and make money. I think Microsoft has to differentiate the platform introducing a couple of features important for a share of the smartphone users (lets say 20%) and impossible to replicate in the other platforms. They talk a lot about productivity, they have to create productivity scenarios only possible on Windows.
Other interesting move is adding support for Android apps in Windows Mobile. Ending the perception of the app gap would increase sales, but they have to do it with restrictions to keep the incentives for native development.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
But I'm curious if windows PCs will continue to grow or not in marketshare.

Let's face it: most people do not buy the latest version of Windows. They buy a new PC/laptop that is supplied with the latest version of windows. Now, with the advent of very cheap, very capable, easily stored tablets that do everything most people want - email, internet - why bother buying a new PC when a ?99 tablet will do the trick, without all the hassle of weekly updates, system instability, etc.

All everyone hears is Android this and Android that, so most people will buy an Android tablet instead of a PC/Windows device.

I believe Windows' days are numbers except in the workplace. And MS probably knows this too.

What I'd like to see is some great promotional offers - buy a PC and get a free Windows Tablet and / or Windows phone; buy a copy of Windows 10 and get a Tablet / Phone free. I would bite if the free goods were a decent spec! But as it is, when my self-built desktop PC needs replacing, or my laptop dies, I don't foresee myself going down the Windows route. Windows so far has always been too much trouble, even for a tech savvy person like myself, who used to earn a living from the mess Windows causes.

But darn it, I love my Windows Phone!

sati01

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Let's face it: most people do not buy the latest version of Windows. They buy a new PC/laptop that is supplied with the latest version of windows. Now, with the advent of very cheap, very capable, easily stored tablets that do everything most people want - email, internet - why bother buying a new PC when a ?99 tablet will do the trick, without all the hassle of weekly updates, system instability, etc.

All everyone hears is Android this and Android that, so most people will buy an Android tablet instead of a PC/Windows device.

I believe Windows' days are numbers except in the workplace. And MS probably knows this too.

What I'd like to see is some great promotional offers - buy a PC and get a free Windows Tablet and / or Windows phone; buy a copy of Windows 10 and get a Tablet / Phone free. I would bite if the free goods were a decent spec! But as it is, when my self-built desktop PC needs replacing, or my laptop dies, I don't foresee myself going down the Windows route. Windows so far has always been too much trouble, even for a tech savvy person like myself, who used to earn a living from the mess Windows causes.

But darn it, I love my Windows Phone!

The tablet market is cooling down. It would be even worst without the couple of billions in subsidies that Intel is injecting selling those Atom CPUs under the cost.

There is some redundancy in using a smartphone and a tablet. Probably a smartphone and a laptop or an hybrid device like the Surface Pro is a better combination.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
As well if not better than 2014. They're not showing signs of stagnation (Apple) or falling apart (RIM). Their core business is very solid and their latest products have all been received very well by consumers. Windows still retains a commanding percentage of traditional PC market share and contrary to what you're heard the PC isn't dead nor is it dying. Go do some research on PC/laptop sales. Then go do some research on tablet sales. Of course tablets out sale PC/Laptops - they are a new device type - but, their sales are cooling down as the market place is becoming saturated with them (much how the marketplace became saturated with PCs/Laptops prior to their decline in sales!).

One thing to remember is what PC stands for. Personal Computer. Tablets are PCs, just in a different form factor. Microsoft is leading the way when it comes to taking all the function of a traditional desktop PC and smashing it down into a tablet form. That is the fate of PCs - they aren't dying - they are evolving.

Windows days in the consumer market aren't numbered. That is silly talk. Will their market share decrease? Of course. Will Windows disappear or become like Linux? Doubtful. People have been saying that for over a decade now.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I was in a computer store the other day, where I took a quick look at tablets.

There was a good selection of Androids, roughly 10 to 12 different ones.
Three iPads of different sized
Where were the windows tablets? Nowhere to be seen.

I know of just one person with a Windows tablet, and he only bough it because it was on sale and came with a year's worth of Office subscription for 3 computers - worked out cheaper than just buying a subscription.

MSFT has a hell of a lot of catching up to do, and unfortunately its past reputation precedes it. MSFT has a 25 history of crash-prone, bug-ridden, insecure software to shake off, not to mention monopolistic business practices. That's going to be tough. Very tough. People don't trust the company.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
2015 is basically do or die, everything has to come together. 2014 was preperation for what has to happen next.

If they succeed:

they will have once again an OS that people love to use and will recommend.
they will no longer have to deal with the negative perceptions people have of IE because of the new Spartan browser.
they could finally gain significant traction in mobile.

However if they don't:

they will have two OS's in a row that failed in the eyes of consumers.
Windows Phone will continue to have lackluster growth and (speculation) might even be killed off.

Lets hope that they can achieve on all fronts, get past their negative reputations from the past, and make huge leaps in market share with Windows 10 and Spartan.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss