Microsoft Office Revamp for Windows Phone Is Coming Soon: Belfiore

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Productivity is a WP strength, it's a great time to seriously make an impact in this segment of the market.
Productivity is a Windows strength, not necessarily a WP one, which is a shame.
Even without llooking at Office and OneNote which admittedly will catch up the iOS versions when W10 is released, I'm disappointed with the calendar (no possibility to set timezone, one event at a time in the tile, no possibility to have a tasks tile), or email (no possibility to attach files when responding).

I agree: MS strength is Office and productivity. And they should elaborate on that, for instance by bringing the kind of dashboard that Outlook is (email calendar tasks contacts). Most of my colleagues don't understand why they can't find outlook on WP.

We have iphones at work so I can see the difference. And over all I prefer my 1020. But all this WP=productivity thing is a bit overrated if you think about it. It SHOULD be but it isn't.

I hope MS make that productivity department perfect with w10. That would be a key argument to switch corporate devices to WP.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Productivity is a Windows strength, not necessarily a WP one, which is a shame.
Even without llooking at Office and OneNote which admittedly will catch up the iOS versions when W10 is released, I'm disappointed with the calendar (no possibility to set timezone, one event at a time in the tile, no possibility to have a tasks tile), or email (no possibility to attach files when responding).

I agree: MS strength is Office and productivity. And they should elaborate on that, for instance by bringing the kind of dashboard that Outlook is (email calendar tasks contacts). Most of my colleagues don't understand why they can't find outlook on WP.

We have iphones at work so I can see the difference. And over all I prefer my 1020. But all this WP=productivity thing is a bit overrated if you think about it. It SHOULD be but it isn't.

I hope MS make that productivity department perfect with w10. That would be a key argument to switch corporate devices to WP.

While I agree with most of what you say, I haven't seen the iOS version of OneNote to be any better that the WP version, in fact with WP you can pin notes to the start screen.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Note that "coming soon" and "you'll hear much more soon" are two entirely different things.

I've seen quite a few news stories indicating that a new version of Office Mobile is coming "within weeks". Obviously, this is entirely ficticious and misleading.

As everyone is aware, Office is baked into the Windows Phone OS and can't be updated separately. Updated version of Office will most likely come with Windows Mobile 10 (or whatever it'll be called). Joe will most probably offer some screen shots or say something with a few sentences (one of which will contain the word "awesome").

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
SteveNoza said:
While I agree with most of what you say, I haven't seen the iOS version of OneNote to be any better that the WP version, in fact with WP you can pin notes to the start screen.

The latest OneNote on the iPhone (that I have at work) has tabs, like on the Surface 2. I can easily switch from a note to another. On WP, I have to go back back back and return to the main trunk.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The latest OneNote on the iPhone (that I have at work) has tabs, like on the Surface 2. I can easily switch from a note to another. On WP, I have to go back back back and return to the main trunk.

The ability of pinning specific notes to the start screen, and organize them into folders means tabbed notes are unnecessary on WP, advantage WP.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
No Steve these are two different things. Yes I love being able to pin SOME notes to the start screen but I want to be able to jump from one notebook to the other, from one note to the other inside the app, as all notes don't have to end on the start screen.

I use a personal notebook, a pro one, I don't want all these notes to end in Live folders on the start screen.

I'm pretty sure the WP version will look a bit more like the MUI version of One Note I have on the Surface 2, while retaining the exclusivity of pinable notes.

sati01

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I hope WP 10 is released the first half of 2015 before Windows 10. I don't think WP will survive until the end of the year with 8.1.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I hope WP 10 is released the first half of 2015 before Windows 10. I don't think WP will survive until the end of the year with 8.1.

And with no flagship :(

If only we got, by GDR2 or GDR3 some "backports" of W10 features, just as a starter, it would ease the pain.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
And the cow jumped over the moon, or was it the dish ran away with the spoon. They are starting to sound like fairy tails anyway.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
If soon is a few months away I don't mind waiting for a new phone but if its 6 months till the 1020 replacement don't think I will be hanging around to purchase one, My LG G2 is getting tired and needs to be replaces soon and more then likely the LG G3 replacement will be out before then so I might consider it. Love the screen and battery life off my G2 but don't go much on Android.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
When Belfiore says soon, he actually means he has no idea when it will come and you can count on 3-8 months.

In my world a soon is max a month but that's just me.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
When Belfiore says soon, he actually means he has no idea when it will come and you can count on 3-8 months.

In my world a soon is max a month but that's just me.

Yep that's how I think as well, Bloody hard trying to stay a windows phone supporter when they take forever to get things completed, My son has the new Lumia 730 and loves it, that's the main reason I am still around these parts. ; )

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really do hope so! Office for Windows Phone is very basic and barely gets by. It's a shame that it's taken Microsoft this long to get their "new" version of touch friendly Office going, and especially putting their own products last. They've been doing that for too long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss