New Microsoft phones?..

voodoocars

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I am in the UK and my ee contract runs out on 6 January. I was after a lumia 830 so called ee today to get one. I was told the lumias have been discontinued due to Microsoft buying nokia and (the 830) was out of stock never to return.
I was transferred to a very knowledgeable chap who said that new Microsoft phones will be released in May/ June- possibly April.
Is this true? I had an idea that new phones would be released but does anyone have any details / leaked photos or more info?
I don't want to jump from ee as I'm quite happy with them so I may wait for the new phones..

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
That's the first I've heard about the 830 not being available. Maybe we will can get some more definitive info on this and other Lumia phones next week at CES???

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Nobody knows when they will be released. Microsoft isn't letting on.

But it might be worth considering the L735, which is a great phone. If you bargain with EE you should be able to get a good deal. They offered it to me free on a ?14 a month contract. (But I don't need a contract so bought it unlocked from CPW.)

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The 830 is a new phone, it's only about 2 months old. Call center operators aren't exactly fountains of wisdom either, so my guess is that it's simply not true what you were told, at the very least, Microsoft definitely didn't discontinue the 830. Since I'm not from the UK I can't say whether EE did discontinue, but if so, it's not because of antyhing Micrsoft did.
With that said, I do hope to see new lumias this spring...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I suggest get an unlocked 830 and then upgrade SIM only plan with EE. If you push them they will provide excellent sim only.

Then, if, we have something new announced in April, UK will see it in September - grab that on upgraded contract if you like.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I will ask my daughter she works at EE, I know Vodafone have the 830 as I bought my wife one just before Xmas.

I doubt I will get and answer from my daughter before tomorrow.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Any chance we see new Windows Phones at CES or is that unlikely before the release of Windows 10?

Even if we see new hardware it won't reach us until end of second quarter of the year. Generally it's 2-3 months lag after announcements of new devices with Microsoft.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
2-3 months plus whatever time for it to be available outside US plus whatever time for EE to test/decide to stock it.

June doesn't sound unreasonable. But is totally hypothetical.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Daughter just called from the shop she works in up in Cambridgeshire, they don't stock the 830, they do stock the 735 and the 930.

It's just one of those things, not every carrier carries every phone so it looks like EE just chose not to run with the 830.

Got to admit with the deals they were doing on the 930 I would consider that as an improved alternative, that's what my lad did, if your heart is stuck on the 830 as mentioned Vodafone would be a place to look.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I try to stay away from the high street shops....most sales people haven't a clue what a WP is and what it can do! They(not all) are only obsessed with selling Iphone and droids.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I try to stay away from the high street shops....most sales people haven't a clue what a WP is and what it can do! They(not all) are only obsessed with selling Iphone and droids.

IMO UK sales assistants on the high street are a lot more open to WP, well a lot more so than what happens in the US. WP has ~10% market share in the UK (I think), which is a decent adoption rate. Many high street shops are advertising the Lumia 520/530/635, so sales assistants hopefully should have some knowledge of WP.

The Lumia 830 is a new device. I'm surprised EE are not supplying it anymore. EE does supply the Lumia 735 and 930, both at great prices. I believe new Microsoft devices will come by the 3rd quarter. Will probably be released when Windows 10 (phone) is out.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
you can get the Nokia Lumia 830 on EE from mobiles.co.uk (owned by carphone warehouse) their phones are unlocked aswell. This is the best place to purchase it from rather then from the operator and having to wait for updates.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I am in the UK and my ee contract runs out on 6 January. I was after a lumia 830 so called ee today to get one. I was told the lumias have been discontinued due to Microsoft buying nokia and (the 830) was out of stock never to return.
I was transferred to a very knowledgeable chap who said that new Microsoft phones will be released in May/ June- possibly April.
Is this true? I had an idea that new phones would be released but does anyone have any details / leaked photos or more info?
I don't want to jump from ee as I'm quite happy with them so I may wait for the new phones..

That's quite odd. They're still selling them online. I'm looking for an upgrade around summer time. I am currently with EE, but the data packages on 3 are tempting.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Very strange, the 830 is available on EE's website (Nokia Lumia 830 | EE).

I'm even more impressed by EE because under the drop down menu for Shop, under Phone Families, they only list iPhone & Windows Phone. No Android in that list...

Any retailer I've been into (in the UK) has always shown just as much enthusiasm of windows phone as any other phone, in fact I've seen on multiple occasions Carphone Warehouse push WinPhone for new users rather then a similar Android device.

G.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
The UK's got 10% mobile use on WP?!?

Solid!!!

Be nice if Canada got there!

When I look for 930 accessories I end up finding myself on UK sites!!!

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Sadly not, according to Kantar, WP is at 7.7%, iOS @ 39.5% and Android @ 52.3%, with the rest including Blackberry @ 0.5%. This was in Oct, though it was 10.3% in August, on another note, android seems to be losing traction here in the UK.

G.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

Solid!!!

Be nice if Canada got there!

When I look for 930 accessories I end up finding myself on UK sites!!!

Lol kind hard for us Canadians to get a higher marketshare when the last flagship was the 1020. I don't count the 830 if you're wondering.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I suggest get an unlocked 830 and then upgrade SIM only plan with EE. If you push them they will provide excellent sim only.

Then, if, we have something new announced in April, UK will see it in September - grab that on upgraded contract if you like.

This is exactly what I did about a month or so back. Bought my 830 from Expansys and put in my Three sim (rather got them to issue me with a micro-sim, which they did willingly). The 830 is indeed an excellent phone - at least for my purposes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium