01-26-2015 10:46 AM
55 123
tools
    No, just look at the issue caused by the OEMs with using non-standard buttons... if user has bought of any of these phones as their first smartphone goes onto MS's website for general support they would have no clue where to begin.

Here is one example:

Yezz Mobile | Billy 4.7

Attachment 93070
    Thankfully they learned their lesson as the Yezz Billy 5S has software buttons. The Windows version must've sold well if they're gimping the Android version to make them equal.
    TechFreak1 and prasath1234 like this.
    01-05-2015 08:45 PM
    Absolutely not! I don't want Sense or TouchWhiz mucking up my WP experience. OEM's can use innovative hardware features like killer cameras, multimedia enhancements, etc or exclusive apps to distinguish themselves rather than putting their spin on WP.
    snowmutt and prasath1234 like this.
    01-05-2015 09:00 PM
    "Get your paws off my phone you damn dirty OEMs"
    01-05-2015 09:09 PM
    Customization: yes
    Bloatware: no.
    Shobin Drogan likes this.
    01-05-2015 09:10 PM
    Tiles is one step ahead of competition's static icon. So why taking a step backward?
    01-05-2015 09:20 PM
    My main concern is with how you gussy up the live tiles without getting too strange.

With Android, apps are represented by an icon. Samsung, HTC, etc can mess with it a lot, but at the end of the day, as long as the icon launches the app, all is well.

On the other hand, if you start throwing in random UI elements on top of the constantly changing tiles, I think it would just get overwhelming. (I think in particular Samsung phones I've seen in the past with some sort of weird water effect when you swiped between screens).
    01-05-2015 09:31 PM
    No way... OEM can always come out with better phone designs but dun mess with the UI... that's a catalyst for fragmentation. Perhaps OEM can have customized Live Folders, where they can group their propriety apps/shortcuts into a "their little acre of space"..... that's as far as I want it to go...
    Timbre70 likes this.
    01-05-2015 09:53 PM
    sorry but...are you mad? WP with a boring grid of icons? it goes against everything MS defends and the whole purpose of WP!

pplz don't try WP because they're afraid to change, to try smth new and because of the still existing app gap!

and this app gap is actually far more important to users than UI problems! just like some don't try because of UI, even a lot more don't try because of apps, and many of them don't mind live tiles, but ahhhh, it doesn't has X app, so nope!

sure, some might not like the metro UI but most never even used and know how actually good it is to have the info you need at one glance!

and that would put a grin on WP haters "what, they finally giving in and transforming WP into Android copy?"
    I think the biggest problem of the platform is perception, not the app gap. People perceive WP as an inferior product.
    The tiled launcher makes WP easily recognizable, easy to reject as something different. Allowing OEMs to replace the launcher with a more traditional UI would help with that.

The live tile is not a traditional UI element of the Windows OS. Even people using Windows 7 (by far the most popular version of Windows) see the UI as unfamiliar.
    The real value of live tiles is questionable. It's a good concept, but the implementation has problems.
    01-05-2015 10:40 PM
    As much as I dislike the Live Tiles, it's what makes WP different than the others.
    If you don't like live tiles, then why do you like WP?
    01-05-2015 10:46 PM
    Android allows OEMs to customize many parts of the UI. It's one of the reasons why the OEMs favor Android. Should Microsoft open this part of WP to bring more OEMs to WP?
    OEMs largely preferred Android because it was free. Most OEMs also make absolutely no money on Android devices which demonstrates how much the differentiation has helped them. In any case, do people really want piles of junk devices just to add ten more OEMs no one buys? BTW, Google is making a concerted effort to reign in the OEMs because it is a mess for them as well. Long way around saying, no, the level of control Microsoft exerts is a good thing. It is not as restrictive as IOS but also not the forked mess that is Android....
    a5cent and prasath1234 like this.
    01-06-2015 12:37 AM
    Probably not
    01-06-2015 03:01 AM
    While I totally agree with the "no" votes, allow me to bring in the one argument which has been hinted at but not brought out yet:

How many mid-to-low range Androids get updated to new Android OS each year? Next to none. The UI skins are the main culprit to that as the updates on Android flagships are hard enough with their top end hardware to send an update that works right. Throw all that effort on lower end devices that the OEMs made only a small profit on anyways? No chance.

However, everything from the low end Lumia 520 and HTC 8XT to the monster Lumia 1520 and the Samsung ATIV SE gets WP 8.1 (sooner for some, much later for others). That is because of the unified OS which does not have a ton of differences from device to device can easily be updated so long as the hardware of the device is capable. Who wants to see our great update support go away?
    saras112, envio, a5cent and 5 others like this.
    01-06-2015 03:39 AM
    If you don't like live tiles, then why do you like WP?
    The live tiles are a small part of the WP experience. Very small. Coming from the design/build industry I appreciate simple, elegant systems that work with a minimum of fuss. I don't play games or watch videos on my phone, I have a large screen TV at home for that. What I do need is seamless Exchange, OneDrive and a top-notch scanning app. It also helps to have a killer camera.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-06-2015 07:59 AM
    God please no. Seeing HTC or Samsung horrid customizations on a windows phone although sense is not that bad would kill the OS for me.

It's bad enough we can't get original designs for high end devices(see the m8) can we at least keep the UI somewhat original.
    tapehead and prasath1234 like this.
    01-06-2015 08:09 AM
    No.

If anything, I'd want more uniformity: dedicated camera button, standard Back Windows Search keys.

If users want a 'launcher' that looks different, they should get an Android. If they want a polished experience out of the box, they should go with Windows Phone or iPhone *shudder*. If they want 'now for something completely different' they should get a Passport ;-)
    prasath1234 and TechFreak1 like this.
    01-06-2015 09:49 AM
    OEMs cant even update the phone system without any customization in time. What do you think would happen if they could customize this system. Not to speak about carriers
    prasath1234 and nohra like this.
    01-06-2015 10:20 AM
    Actually this reminds me of a discussion I had with a guest when I was working yesterday (if you can guess where I worked, it's Target simply by calling customers... guests...) any who. I saw him have a Blu Win HD phone so I started a conversation with him about Windows Phone. This guy wasn't completely oblivious to technology but he's not teksavvy either. He's the average joe so I tried extracting as much info as possible from an average joe just to see what his reaction is to Windows Phone.

Basically he got the BLU WIN HD via the Microsoft Store online (since the closest one where we live is in Toronto, a 4 hour drive.) He loved the free shipping that Microsoft Store offers. Of course as you can imagine his complaint was the app gap. He said there was only 2 apps that's missing for him compare to his android phone. He ditched android only because it broke for him (screen damaged I think he said.)

He loves the home page and he said it took him about 30 minutes to get used to it. Of course this could be a BLU WIN HD issue but screen rotation seems to be way off, he wanted to show me an item on sale at Future Shop (Best Buy) but the screen wouldn't rotate when he put it on landscape mode. So during the transaction, we've talked about how Microsoft is committed to updating every WP device out there and the OEMs as well (except Samsung for some reason). While as Android OEMs only update their phones for a maximum of 2 years around and then abandon it. I even told him about the Windows 10 update that may come out at the end of 2015 and he seemed excited for it. All in all the guy was satisfied with the phone.

So as for OEMs customizing Windows Phones, well no I don't want them too and they don't need to either. What makes an OEM shine out compare to others are both hardware and software designs, not the customization. You'll never hear someone say: "I like Samsung's TouchWiz which is why I buy Samsung." Creating applications that promote your hardware (HTC TVSense, Lumia Camera, etc...) a perfect harmony of both software and hardware shows that the OEM is committed to their phone, instead of just chucking it out hoping to make a quick buck. And people love when a company is supporting their products all the way.
    01-06-2015 10:25 AM
    No...
    01-06-2015 10:57 AM
    No. One thing I've always hated what what HTC and especially Samsung did with Android. Make it heavy for absolutely nothing.

The only people who should have control over customization is the user.
    01-06-2015 11:23 AM
    Absolutely, 100% NO. The only reason I hate, absolutely hate Android is because of its overly customisable nature which allows OEMs screwing up everything and not update anything.
    tapehead and snowmutt like this.
    01-06-2015 11:30 AM
    100% absolutely NOT. That was one of the BIG reasons I got my friend to switch, and myself too.

Nobody wants some crap shell running over a perfectly fluid operating system. Have you people never seen Motoblur? TouchWiz? The only OEM that even got it SOMEWHAT right was HTC with Sense, but even that was iffy in the beginning. Plus it add general confusion to the consumer solely so large company can further spread their marketing. Absolutely not. It only benefits the company and not the end user.
    01-06-2015 12:35 PM
    Absolutely not. OEM customizations are nearly universally garbage and slow down updates (since they all have to be customized too) and in some cases dramatically alter the user experience.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    01-06-2015 12:43 PM
    Yes,
    Make the phone dialer more functional (add contacts to sim card and through dialer).

Be able to put only two (2) icons (tiles) at the bottom of the screen, then I can access the controls and icons without having to go up then down especially when using the dialer

Need a better music player that I can adjust volume on screen.

01-06-2015 01:01 PM
    Yes,
    Make the phone dialer more functional (add contacts to sim card and through dialer).

Be able to put only two (2) icons (tiles) at the bottom of the screen, then I can access the controls and icons without having to go up then down especially when using the dialer

Need a better music player that I can adjust volume on screen.

These are good points and should be OS updates not OEM customisation.
    dlalonde, nohra and snowmutt like this.
    01-06-2015 01:11 PM
    While I totally agree with the "no" votes, allow me to bring in the one argument which has been hinted at but not brought out yet:

How many mid-to-low range Androids get updated to new Android OS each year? Next to none. The UI skins are the main culprit to that as the updates on Android flagships are hard enough with their top end hardware to send an update that works right. Throw all that effort on lower end devices that the OEMs made only a small profit on anyways? No chance.

However, everything from the low end Lumia 520 and HTC 8XT to the monster Lumia 1520 and the Samsung ATIV SE gets WP 8.1 (sooner for some, much later for others). That is because of the unified OS which does not have a ton of differences from device to device can easily be updated so long as the hardware of the device is capable. Who wants to see our great update support go away?
    This!
    The OS truly speaks for itself. I haven't found anything as fluid as WP. There are plenty of growing pains and issues and not much focus on flagships or the pricing is off for the likes of the Lumia 830 but I like what MSFT has. For once, if it ain't broke, don't fix it....
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-06-2015 01:31 PM
55 123