Should Microsoft allow OEMs more customization options in WP?

sati01

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
This is needed, not necessarily the same level of customization of Android, but OEMs need a way to differentiate their products. The current OEM strategy is not working.

At least Microsoft should provide the option to replace the tiled launcher with a grid of icons. That would improve sales. Some people don't try WP because the UI is so different.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
At least Microsoft should provide the option to replace the tiled launcher with a grid of icons. That would improve sales. Some people don't try WP because the UI is so different.

As much as I dislike the Live Tiles, it's what makes WP different than the others.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
This is needed, not necessarily the same level of customization of Android, but OEMs need a way to differentiate their products. The current OEM strategy is not working.

sorry but...are you mad? WP with a boring grid of icons? it goes against everything MS defends and the whole purpose of WP!

pplz don't try WP because they're afraid to change, to try smth new and because of the still existing app gap!

and this app gap is actually far more important to users than UI problems! just like some don't try because of UI, even a lot more don't try because of apps, and many of them don't mind live tiles, but ahhhh, it doesn't has X app, so nope!

sure, some might not like the metro UI but most never even used and know how actually good it is to have the info you need at one glance!

and that would put a grin on WP haters "what, they finally giving in and transforming WP into Android copy?"

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No, just look at the issue caused by the OEMs with using non-standard buttons... if user has bought of any of these phones as their first smartphone goes onto MS's website for general support they would have no clue where to begin.

Here is one example:

Yezz Mobile | Billy 4.7

yezz-Billy47-hero.jpg

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
No, just look at the issue caused by the OEMs with using non-standard buttons... if user has bought of any of these phones as their first smartphone goes onto MS's website for general support they would have no clue where to begin.

Here is one example:

Yezz Mobile | Billy 4.7

View attachment 93070

Thankfully they learned their lesson as the Yezz Billy 5S has software buttons. The Windows version must've sold well if they're gimping the Android version to make them equal.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely not! I don't want Sense or TouchWhiz mucking up my WP experience. OEM's can use innovative hardware features like killer cameras, multimedia enhancements, etc or exclusive apps to distinguish themselves rather than putting their spin on WP.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
My main concern is with how you gussy up the live tiles without getting too strange.

With Android, apps are represented by an icon. Samsung, HTC, etc can mess with it a lot, but at the end of the day, as long as the icon launches the app, all is well.

On the other hand, if you start throwing in random UI elements on top of the constantly changing tiles, I think it would just get overwhelming. (I think in particular Samsung phones I've seen in the past with some sort of weird water effect when you swiped between screens).

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
No way... OEM can always come out with better phone designs but dun mess with the UI... that's a catalyst for fragmentation. Perhaps OEM can have customized Live Folders, where they can group their propriety apps/shortcuts into a "their little acre of space"..... that's as far as I want it to go...

sati01

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
sorry but...are you mad? WP with a boring grid of icons? it goes against everything MS defends and the whole purpose of WP!

pplz don't try WP because they're afraid to change, to try smth new and because of the still existing app gap!

and this app gap is actually far more important to users than UI problems! just like some don't try because of UI, even a lot more don't try because of apps, and many of them don't mind live tiles, but ahhhh, it doesn't has X app, so nope!

sure, some might not like the metro UI but most never even used and know how actually good it is to have the info you need at one glance!

and that would put a grin on WP haters "what, they finally giving in and transforming WP into Android copy?"

I think the biggest problem of the platform is perception, not the app gap. People perceive WP as an inferior product.
The tiled launcher makes WP easily recognizable, easy to reject as something different. Allowing OEMs to replace the launcher with a more traditional UI would help with that.

The live tile is not a traditional UI element of the Windows OS. Even people using Windows 7 (by far the most popular version of Windows) see the UI as unfamiliar.
The real value of live tiles is questionable. It's a good concept, but the implementation has problems.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Android allows OEMs to customize many parts of the UI. It's one of the reasons why the OEMs favor Android. Should Microsoft open this part of WP to bring more OEMs to WP?

OEMs largely preferred Android because it was free. Most OEMs also make absolutely no money on Android devices which demonstrates how much the differentiation has helped them. In any case, do people really want piles of junk devices just to add ten more OEMs no one buys? BTW, Google is making a concerted effort to reign in the OEMs because it is a mess for them as well. Long way around saying, no, the level of control Microsoft exerts is a good thing. It is not as restrictive as IOS but also not the forked mess that is Android....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
While I totally agree with the "no" votes, allow me to bring in the one argument which has been hinted at but not brought out yet:

How many mid-to-low range Androids get updated to new Android OS each year? Next to none. The UI skins are the main culprit to that as the updates on Android flagships are hard enough with their top end hardware to send an update that works right. Throw all that effort on lower end devices that the OEMs made only a small profit on anyways? No chance.

However, everything from the low end Lumia 520 and HTC 8XT to the monster Lumia 1520 and the Samsung ATIV SE gets WP 8.1 (sooner for some, much later for others). That is because of the unified OS which does not have a ton of differences from device to device can easily be updated so long as the hardware of the device is capable. Who wants to see our great update support go away?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you don't like live tiles, then why do you like WP?

The live tiles are a small part of the WP experience. Very small. Coming from the design/build industry I appreciate simple, elegant systems that work with a minimum of fuss. I don't play games or watch videos on my phone, I have a large screen TV at home for that. What I do need is seamless Exchange, OneDrive and a top-notch scanning app. It also helps to have a killer camera.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
God please no. Seeing HTC or Samsung horrid customizations on a windows phone although sense is not that bad would kill the OS for me.

It's bad enough we can't get original designs for high end devices(see the m8) can we at least keep the UI somewhat original.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
No.

If anything, I'd want more uniformity: dedicated camera button, standard Back Windows Search keys.

If users want a 'launcher' that looks different, they should get an Android. If they want a polished experience out of the box, they should go with Windows Phone or iPhone *shudder*. If they want 'now for something completely different' they should get a Passport ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs