Should Microsoft allow OEMs more customization options in WP?

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
OEMs cant even update the phone system without any customization in time. What do you think would happen if they could customize this system. Not to speak about carriers

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Actually this reminds me of a discussion I had with a guest when I was working yesterday (if you can guess where I worked, it's Target simply by calling customers... guests...) any who. I saw him have a Blu Win HD phone so I started a conversation with him about Windows Phone. This guy wasn't completely oblivious to technology but he's not teksavvy either. He's the average joe so I tried extracting as much info as possible from an average joe just to see what his reaction is to Windows Phone.

Basically he got the BLU WIN HD via the Microsoft Store online (since the closest one where we live is in Toronto, a 4 hour drive.) He loved the free shipping that Microsoft Store offers. Of course as you can imagine his complaint was the app gap. He said there was only 2 apps that's missing for him compare to his android phone. He ditched android only because it broke for him (screen damaged I think he said.)

He loves the home page and he said it took him about 30 minutes to get used to it. Of course this could be a BLU WIN HD issue but screen rotation seems to be way off, he wanted to show me an item on sale at Future Shop (Best Buy) but the screen wouldn't rotate when he put it on landscape mode. So during the transaction, we've talked about how Microsoft is committed to updating every WP device out there and the OEMs as well (except Samsung for some reason). While as Android OEMs only update their phones for a maximum of 2 years around and then abandon it. I even told him about the Windows 10 update that may come out at the end of 2015 and he seemed excited for it. All in all the guy was satisfied with the phone.

So as for OEMs customizing Windows Phones, well no I don't want them too and they don't need to either. What makes an OEM shine out compare to others are both hardware and software designs, not the customization. You'll never hear someone say: "I like Samsung's TouchWiz which is why I buy Samsung." Creating applications that promote your hardware (HTC TVSense, Lumia Camera, etc...) a perfect harmony of both software and hardware shows that the OEM is committed to their phone, instead of just chucking it out hoping to make a quick buck. And people love when a company is supporting their products all the way.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
No. One thing I've always hated what what HTC and especially Samsung did with Android. Make it heavy for absolutely nothing.

The only people who should have control over customization is the user.

MohitKJain

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely, 100% NO. The only reason I hate, absolutely hate Android is because of its overly customisable nature which allows OEMs screwing up everything and not update anything.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
100% absolutely NOT. That was one of the BIG reasons I got my friend to switch, and myself too.

Nobody wants some crap shell running over a perfectly fluid operating system. Have you people never seen Motoblur? TouchWiz? The only OEM that even got it SOMEWHAT right was HTC with Sense, but even that was iffy in the beginning. Plus it add general confusion to the consumer solely so large company can further spread their marketing. Absolutely not. It only benefits the company and not the end user.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely not. OEM customizations are nearly universally garbage and slow down updates (since they all have to be customized too) and in some cases dramatically alter the user experience.

Nokia5110

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes,
Make the phone dialer more functional (add contacts to sim card and through dialer).

Be able to put only two (2) icons (tiles) at the bottom of the screen, then I can access the controls and icons without having to go up then down especially when using the dialer

Need a better music player that I can adjust volume on screen.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes,
Make the phone dialer more functional (add contacts to sim card and through dialer).

Be able to put only two (2) icons (tiles) at the bottom of the screen, then I can access the controls and icons without having to go up then down especially when using the dialer

Need a better music player that I can adjust volume on screen.

These are good points and should be OS updates not OEM customisation.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
While I totally agree with the "no" votes, allow me to bring in the one argument which has been hinted at but not brought out yet:

How many mid-to-low range Androids get updated to new Android OS each year? Next to none. The UI skins are the main culprit to that as the updates on Android flagships are hard enough with their top end hardware to send an update that works right. Throw all that effort on lower end devices that the OEMs made only a small profit on anyways? No chance.

However, everything from the low end Lumia 520 and HTC 8XT to the monster Lumia 1520 and the Samsung ATIV SE gets WP 8.1 (sooner for some, much later for others). That is because of the unified OS which does not have a ton of differences from device to device can easily be updated so long as the hardware of the device is capable. Who wants to see our great update support go away?

This!
The OS truly speaks for itself. I haven't found anything as fluid as WP. There are plenty of growing pains and issues and not much focus on flagships or the pricing is off for the likes of the Lumia 830 but I like what MSFT has. For once, if it ain't broke, don't fix it....

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Android allows OEMs to customize many parts of the UI. It's one of the reasons why the OEMs favor Android. Should Microsoft open this part of WP to bring more OEMs to WP?

OEM's no... However allow the user the option.

Keeping the OS sandboxed but allowing more customization will only help draw people to the platform.

For instance.. allow the user to customize the dialer keyboards even a different launcher if they want as long as approved by Microsoft to not be a security issue.To be able to take the best from the other platforms and make them better on Windows phone... Why not.... They've been doing this for some time now..

I've seen people say if you don't like live tiles why use WP.. The answer is obvious, because not everyone prefers to. It's not about what is better, but what a person wants.
As to allow the oems to add their own bloat absolutely not.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6