01-26-2015 10:46 AM
55 123
tools
    Android allows OEMs to customize many parts of the UI. It's one of the reasons why the OEMs favor Android. Should Microsoft open this part of WP to bring more OEMs to WP?
    01-04-2015 08:09 PM
    No .
    a5cent, Cryio, realwarder and 4 others like this.
    01-04-2015 08:19 PM
    I don't always smartphone, buy when I do, I WP.

No.

Stay secure my friends
    01-04-2015 08:28 PM
    No. The current policy of allow OEM to add features, but without changing the existing ones, is quite enough.
    furkanavshar and snowmutt like this.
    01-04-2015 08:37 PM
    I think the Microsoft customization is something between IOS and Android. I my opinion is the best way to lead with it and Microsoft would not change anything about it.
    01-04-2015 08:45 PM
    This is precisely one of things Google is now desperately trying to reign in and get back under their control. It would be pure irony if MS started to bork another one of the things they got right, by copying Google, after Google themselves realized it was the wrong choice.

OEMs can already change a lot on their own, and MS is always happy to help develop any APIs OEMs feel are missing. The camera API for the 1020 or the ability to support HTC's dot view case are examples. That's a big part of what the GDR releases are for.

In the interest of keeping the user experience consistent and fast, skinning or replacing the UI should remain off limits.

OEMs can still provide their own custom backgrounds. The live tiles for their own apps can also look however they want them to, so OEMs do have options.
    01-04-2015 08:58 PM
    I say why not? As long as it doesn't get too wild or sacrifices usability, I say let them do some fun things with the OS.
    prasath1234 and Dk92 like this.
    01-04-2015 09:11 PM
    Nope,love it this way,let oem bring better design ,hardware features and software only those oem brands would have,for instance,the range of Lumia camera apps,story teller,sms+ filter,here maps,etc.
    furkanavshar likes this.
    01-04-2015 09:38 PM
    I am in for that idea.OEM needs customization to stand out from other OEMS.
    Dk92 likes this.
    01-05-2015 02:06 AM
    If OEM want to stand out they should/can use the design of the device they do not need the OS for this.
    aximtreo likes this.
    01-05-2015 03:10 AM
    I say why not? As long as it doesn't get too wild or sacrifices usability, I say let them do some fun things with the OS.
    I agree, and if you want your phone to remain how it currently looks, just get a Microsoft Mobile device.
    01-05-2015 03:15 AM
    Hasn't Nokia, by gaining 90% WP market share, already proven that an oem can stand out without having to mess with the UI? It just requires some effort, beyond recoloring a UI and passing it off as innovation.
    aximtreo and snowmutt like this.
    01-05-2015 05:17 AM
    No.
    01-05-2015 05:41 AM
    I don't always smartphone, buy when I do, I WP.

No.

Stay secure my friends
    Good play on words. Nice way to make a point.
    01-05-2015 06:45 AM
    No. Definitely not. Never.

Ok, so it's easy to say "no" but one the main reasons that sets Windows Phone apart from the plethora of Android offerings is that no matter which OEM you choose, the base OS user experience (UX) should remain rock solid no matter whether you choose a budget value or mega flagship product. That's not an easy feat to pull off but it does require the OEM to think differently in terms of differentiation and it's entirely possible.

Arguably, Nokia did (at the time) have a slight advantage over other OEMs when they joined the WP family as they were given deeper access to the underlying OS. However, notice that they didn't break any of the fluidity, simplicity or uniformity, they instead mostly leveraged it to enhance their imaging offering for example. Everything else was largely optional through apps, except for a system level apps that are otherwise non-removable. Plus they continued to innovate and provide app updates and new apps and tailored accessories etc.

And that's what the OEMs have to do - couple a great hardware product and accessories along with unique OEMs apps and tools that enhance the user experience without affecting the overall look 'n' feel or hurt underlying performance. That's the right balance between Apple's totally closed shop and Google's utterly open and often abused alternative.
    01-05-2015 07:27 AM
    No!
    furkanavshar likes this.
    01-05-2015 08:12 AM
    hell no! Android is more than a better example of what happens when you allow OEMs to do as they wish! it ended up getting out of control and we have stuff like Touchwiz or Android phones loaded with useless bloatware you can only completely remove thru rooting!

the way WP works, the UI is consistent and clean and aside from system apps, we can easily uninstall everything else!

and this is too much of a good thing for MS to spoil it trying to copy Google and the "mess" Android became with lots of different OEM customizations and bloatwares!
    01-05-2015 10:48 AM
    No. MS is trying to unify their OSes - Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox - all with the same design language, same experience. Now, if they let OEMs mess up with MS's own design, will Windows Phone be what it should be, with all these simplicity and Metro design? Will the three OSes bring unified experience, if Windows Phone are customized, just like Android? And also, OEMs may ditch Live Tiles for icons, who knows? Windows Phone with icons? Bah.
    a5cent likes this.
    01-05-2015 11:52 AM
    Arguably, Nokia did (at the time) have a slight advantage over other OEMs when they joined the WP family as they were given deeper access to the underlying OS. However, notice that they didn't break any of the fluidity, simplicity or uniformity, they instead mostly leveraged it to enhance their imaging offering for example.
    While it's true that Nokia gained the right to modify the source code of the OS, they never exercised that right. As such, any slight advantage Nokia may have arguably had was purely theoretical in nature, because in practice they never exercised that right.

Everything related to Nokia's imaging they did through firmware, even for the L1020. What Nokia couldn't do in firmware alone MS was asked to provide for them, or at least provide a few more extension points so the firmware could hook into the OSes processing path where and when required.
    01-05-2015 12:02 PM
    Definitely not. Part of the allure of WP is that you can go from one device to another without a learning curve. Carriers and OEMs are already allowed to bundle their own specific apps and that's good enough to differentiate one from another. The fact that bloatware can be uninstalled without "rooting" or any other warranty-voiding processes is good enough for me.

Now if developers want to add window dressing to their WP apps to make them stand out from their Android or iOS counterparts, I say have at it.
    a5cent, furkanavshar and snowmutt like this.
    01-05-2015 01:05 PM
    This is needed, not necessarily the same level of customization of Android, but OEMs need a way to differentiate their products. The current OEM strategy is not working.

At least Microsoft should provide the option to replace the tiled launcher with a grid of icons. That would improve sales. Some people don't try WP because the UI is so different.
    01-05-2015 01:22 PM
    At least Microsoft should provide the option to replace the tiled launcher with a grid of icons. That would improve sales. Some people don't try WP because the UI is so different.
    As much as I dislike the Live Tiles, it's what makes WP different than the others.
    01-05-2015 02:08 PM
    No way in hell should Samsung get ahold of any customization option.
    01-05-2015 02:10 PM
    This is needed, not necessarily the same level of customization of Android, but OEMs need a way to differentiate their products. The current OEM strategy is not working.

sorry but...are you mad? WP with a boring grid of icons? it goes against everything MS defends and the whole purpose of WP!

pplz don't try WP because they're afraid to change, to try smth new and because of the still existing app gap!

and this app gap is actually far more important to users than UI problems! just like some don't try because of UI, even a lot more don't try because of apps, and many of them don't mind live tiles, but ahhhh, it doesn't has X app, so nope!

sure, some might not like the metro UI but most never even used and know how actually good it is to have the info you need at one glance!

and that would put a grin on WP haters "what, they finally giving in and transforming WP into Android copy?"
    prasath1234 likes this.
    01-05-2015 02:45 PM
    No, just look at the issue caused by the OEMs with using non-standard buttons... if user has bought of any of these phones as their first smartphone goes onto MS's website for general support they would have no clue where to begin.

Here is one example:

Yezz Mobile | Billy 4.7

yezz-billy47-hero.jpg
    Abhinaba Maitra and nohra like this.
    01-05-2015 08:42 PM
55 123