ATT Notified me that I'm eligible for an upgrade

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Of course they're going to push the iPhone's. I'd go to the "full site" and see what other upgrade options are available.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know how to get to the other options - I'm actually not upgrading for a bit. I just found this interesting.

If ATT were smart, they would profile the kinds of phones on my account and suggest upgrades that would be more logical or interesting to me. They have all the information they need to make better suggestions. For example, my account is a family plan with 5 Windows phones and 1 Android phone. What are the odds that I'm interested in an iPhone? Why should they care which phone I chose?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Just because you're eligible, doesn't mean you have to buy. For example, on an AT&T Mobile Share Data Plan, you're paying $40 per smart phone that is "on contract." If you have a 10GB plus plan, and your phone isn't on contract (contract expires or you brought your own device, or purchased outright), then the price per smart phone is $15. That's a $25 per line savings for each phone not on contract, which you can always put toward more data or something else you can't live without.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Good point - that's exactly what I'm doing. My phone is long past "eligibility" but I'm just riding it out. My kids phones have been through a lot (920s). I just bought them 830s off eBay for ~$200 each.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Good point - that's exactly what I'm doing. My phone is long past "eligibility" but I'm just riding it out. My kids phones have been through a lot (920s). I just bought them 830s off eBay for ~$200 each.

Yep, I like not being under contract, all of my phones were bought outright...i always get the AT&T Next & contract stuff, just ignore it

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I like not being under contract, all of my phones were bought outright...i always get the AT&T Next & contract stuff, just ignore it

Contracts are not all bad, especially if you are locked into an unlimited plan. I got the M8 for free on a two year making my plan about $58 a month once you amortize out the phone cost and include taxes/fees. Not bad at all.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Contracts are not all bad, especially if you are locked into an unlimited plan. I got the M8 for free on a two year making my plan about $58 a month once you amortize out the phone cost and include taxes/fees. Not bad at all.

Yeah, I don't have unlimited, but my family plan ends up being $33 a month after tax with my work discount, I have my own phone and like the ability that I can ditch them anytime and not have to pay (would go to VZW if I left and they won't pay off contracts) :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077