Do you feel Microsoft should shut down Lumia Phones for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xfatalx zero

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone platform may be low on the totem pole but it's not at the bottom, you can say close enough but Apple and Android were around 4 to 5 years before Windows Phone has shown any light with WP7, WP is in the toddler's range therefore the system has plenty of growing up to do.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Lets buy Nokia, shut it down. Wise up

Let's buy a Nokia DIVISION. Also, it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft bought something to have it then shut down. Ensemble Studios rings any bell? ;)

As for myself, I won't answer to avoid uproars. But I'll say this: I don't think phone production fits with Nadella's long term vision for Microsoft.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Let's buy a Nokia DIVISION. Also, it wouldn't be the first time Microsoft bought something to have it then shut down. Ensemble Studios rings any bell? ;)

As for myself, I won't answer to avoid uproars. But I'll say this: I don't think phone production fits with Nadella's long term vision for Microsoft.

He's specifically said in over a dozen memos that he wants to continue to do hardware to "showcase the Microsoft ecosystem". I don't know how many more times he needs to say it before people get it.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
He's specifically said in over a dozen memos that he wants to continue to do hardware to "showcase the Microsoft ecosystem". I don't know how many more times he needs to say it before people get it.

Precisely. I love the "reference design" status of the Surface and the Band. I really hope that they being out a phone to fill that role as well.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Help me out here, I am not sure why this question is being asked. Why would I buy a phone then hope it is no longer supported.

Or do you mean do you regret buying a Lumia phone?

I bought a Nokia Lumia 930 because it is the last group of Nokia phones every being made. If they continued with another line of Symbian phones ( or next iteration with support and and let's say the same market share of WP), I'd be there. I really like Nokia hardware, awesome cameras, and I loved the OVI suite and supported apps.

However, MS has services (Office 365, Bing, Xbox, Skype, Cortana) behind them unlike Apple. I have an android tablet and am not that found of the OS - but like the integration with Google, but not Google phone hardware. I did not consider BlackBerry, but like their latest phone - but again - they lack services.

WP OS looks awesome! I have most apps I really need, and hopeful with MS.

So no, I don't want Lumia to fold. MS needs to stay in the mobile game and it might take some time to get it right. Look to Asia - they have room to grow. And they are relying on tech, more and more and it will be mobile.

My $0.02 ....

Mr. V

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While Microsoft may never be the single most dominant smartphone manufacturer, there is a big difference between #1 and turning the lights off. They can be profitable without being first.

And that's something HP failed to understand.

well, that, and (the false prophet) trying to transform (it) overnight.

Last edited:

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The flagship device will attract more people to the device. They will take notice of Windows phone or Lumia devices because the hardware is top notch. The HTC M8 for Windows was already 6 months old so it wasn't THAT big of a deal, but people paid attention and at least looked into it.

The 1020 made waves when people heard of it for the first time. It may not have translated into immediate sales, but I bet there are a few people on these very forums that saw that phone and jumped at it, right out of Android's grasp.

A worthy flagship would cause me to upgrade from my HTC 8X RIGHT NOW. I'd do it, if it existed. But it doesn't , so I hold on. Those sales would rejuvenate faith in this OS and ecosystem. It may not be the cure-all but it is definitely a part of the puzzle. No one in the US or high-end market wants to downgrade.

dovlab

May 9, 2014
Visit site
They shouldn't shut down the Lumia line. They should release a killer-device instead, I'm getting really impatient. My 920 is by far the best phone I owned, and wouldn't go back to Android ever. I just need, and as I read, so as many people, a true 920 successor.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Let's see.....

100% no.

Don't know if there is anymore to say here.

Would close this down, but it ain't hurting anyone becase we all agree, so open it shall remain.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
No kidding, look how long it took for the Tampa Bay Bucs to get to the Super Bowl.

Reporter: What do you think of your team's execution?
Head Coach John McKay: I'm all for it.

One of my favorite qoutes of all times, as a Bucs fan who remembers all of those miserable seasons...

Please, you will not mention the Apothekalypse!!!!!

But.... you just did, so.....

WebOS.... Now just on TV's.... what a waste.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
nope I don't feel they should drop Lumia, I love what WP brings to the table, smooth efficient OS, no crapware stuff, just time,it'll be #1, most my friends I show my phone to , they wanna switch, I made many switch already to Lumia

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Well kinda like the Tampa bay bucs reference. Look at the knicks ! And people still go to there games and are still fan regardless of how there doing. Maybe that's us on WP.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm a big fan of inexpensive, good-enough hardware, and Windows Phone excels at that. I prefer low-end phones with great performance at their price point. I don't think there is anything on the Android side that comes close. I paid $39.95 for my Lumia 635 (Black Friday), which is about half of what I paid for a flip phone a few years ago. Could care less about flagship phones. I don't want to cry when I break or lose my phone. I find the app selection plenty for my taste, with many better than the ones my friends show me on their Android phones. I hope they stay the course.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
One of my favorite qoutes of all times, as a Bucs fan who remembers all of those miserable seasons...

To think 2 of your castoff QBs went on to win Super Bowls elsewhere and 1 went to the HOF. Don't feel bad, I had to watch Vinny get destroyed and that's hard for a "U" lover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium