Do you feel Microsoft should shut down Lumia Phones for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
He's specifically said in over a dozen memos that he wants to continue to do hardware to "showcase the Microsoft ecosystem". I don't know how many more times he needs to say it before people get it.

There's a difference between producing ONE piece of hardware and mass phone production. As I see it, Microsoft will end up doing with phones exactly the same as they do with the Surface and the Band. They'll produce one phone and that's it. In the long term, I don't think they'll keep sinking money on a ton of WP devices.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
There's a difference between producing ONE piece of hardware and mass phone production. As I see it, Microsoft will end up doing with phones exactly the same as they do with the Surface and the Band. They'll produce one phone and that's it. In the long term, I don't think they'll keep sinking money on a ton of WP devices.

I don't think they will either, but they would need to get the market share up to get OEMs interested before they pull out, which explains their low end strategy.

Last edited:

Jonny702

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely Love, Love, Love, Love the OS. I love the experience and the integration with all my other MS stuff and the apps are....mmmmehh kinda getting there. Here's my problem and here's why instead of thinking about what windows phone to get next, I'm simply trying to figure out what phone to get next.

Microsoft bought Nokia for 7 BILLION dollars.... that looks like this by the way:

$7,000,000,000.00

and it was actually a little more than that but the point remains; That's a hell of a lot of digits.

Since then, what has Microsoft done to get the die hard windows phone users like me excited

Well they're released a whole bunch of Microsoft apps...... on iOS and Android....

They've come out with a new phone...... That's not as good as my 2 year old 920 and isn't even aimed at me as a consumer

So really.... nothing.

I have no reason to be excited about Windows phone, they've been silent while all the other big platforms have been introducing one thing after another; iPhone 6 and 6+, Galaxy Note 4, LG's whatever you call that thing that friggin bends! It's making me sad it really is. I want an awesome phone that makes other people say "OMG what an amazing phone, what is that?" But it just feels like I won't get that.

One can be hopeful for Windows 10, but will we see any flagships then? Will Microsoft start giving devs a reason To produce and update applications? Who knows, but if nothing changes, sadly, I'll be moving to droid I guess (where I will make every effort to mimic the look and feel of WP8.1)

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
If an OS fails or is shut down, and you can't see it, did it still happen?

Looking at the latest Kantar numbers today (falling to nearly zero in China, 3% in the U.S., and falling in Europe), I'm not sure it needs to be shut down. The lower sales are doing it on their own.

Robert van Veen

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
The lack of apps is not MS's fault. We should be demanding the creators that apps that they made available on android and iOS are also written for the Windows Phone.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
2) if you advertise windows phone then people will automatically link it with a pc thinking "great that's all we need.. A phone full of viruses and crashes"
Apple has the icloud hackings and whatnot.. if anything, Apple and Android phones are far more riddled with undesirables than any given Windows Phone. Hacked apps, jailbroken phones run amok, major OS bugs and lags, etc.

And I could care less what brand or phone maker is at the top. I like my Lumia. Once I get bored of my 830, or it breaks, I will buy another one or a higher end model (if one exists by then), it does what I need and its through a platform I like (Windows).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The lack of apps is not MS's fault. We should be demanding the creators that apps that they made available on android and iOS are also written for the Windows Phone.

Demand?

How about please? Pretty please, with sugar on top!

WP users are in NO position to demand anything while the devs are in a unique position to grant....nothing. Now, if Microsoft wants to pour some dead presidents into this ecosystem by paying the devs, that's another story.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem with paying devs is that they will release the app, and then there is no support beyond that.. even big companies like twitter don't bother updating their WP app : (

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft bought Nokia for 7 BILLION dollars

They bought ONE division of Nokia (not Nokia) and fired half of it. So that's the start of it.

I have no reason to be excited about Windows phone, they've been silent while all the other big platforms have been introducing one thing after another; iPhone 6 and 6+, Galaxy Note 4, LG's whatever you call that thing that friggin bends!

That'd be the LG G Flex 2. The original G Flex was a novelty just because of the bent (on purpose) screen. The Flex 2 however is a pretty awesome phone at least on paper.
I do understand your frustration with WP though. But you can always hope that this time HTC releases the M9 with Windows at the same time they release the normal Android version. If the rumours are true, the M9 will be a pretty pretty awesome phone.

One can be hopeful for Windows 10, but will we see any flagships then? Will Microsoft start giving devs a reason To produce and update applications? Who knows, but if nothing changes, sadly, I'll be moving to droid I guess (where I will make every effort to mimic the look and feel of WP8.1)

You will be seeing a WP flagship alongside W10...question is: are you willing to wait that long? (Assuming the M9 for Windows doesn't happen).
Anyway, in case you move to Android and want the WP look, save this link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lx.launcher8
Also, Microsoft's services work flawlessly on Android. I get Outlook email notifications faster on my Z3C than on the 930.

Jonny702

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
They bought ONE division of Nokia (not Nokia) and fired half of it. So that's the start of it.

The point wasn't so much the Nokia part so much as it was the obscene amount of money they spent. They also didn't fire half of it, but that's also neither here nor there.

That'd be the LG G Flex 2. The original G Flex was a novelty just because of the bent (on purpose) screen. The Flex 2 however is a pretty awesome phone at least on paper.
I do understand your frustration with WP though. But you can always hope that this time HTC releases the M9 with Windows at the same time they release the normal Android version. If the rumours are true, the M9 will be a pretty pretty awesome phone.
Yeah that's the one, I was reading an article somewhere the other day that claimed the writer thought it was the best phone currently. Hopefully the M9 has a better camera than the M8, that's the biggest thing that kept me from that one. I'll look up the specs

You will be seeing a WP flagship alongside W10...question is: are you willing to wait that long? (Assuming the M9 for Windows doesn't happen).
I'm willing to wait so long as they at least give something to be excited for, an announcement hopefully

Anyway, in case you move to Android and want the WP look, save this link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lx.launcher8
Also, Microsoft's services work flawlessly on Android. I get Outlook email notifications faster on my Z3C than on the 930.

Yeah I've looked at that. There's a video with a whole bunch of customizations to make it look and feel closer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFoExFhcy1s

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The point wasn't so much the Nokia part so much as it was the obscene amount of money they spent. They also didn't fire half of it, but that's also neither here nor there.

Yes, they did. 12500 of them. Anyway.

Hopefully the M9 has a better camera than the M8, that's the biggest thing that kept me from that one. I'll look up the specs

If rumours are true, it will sport a normal 20.7mp back shooter (probably a Sony camera), and a 13mp front facing one.

Yeah I've looked at that. There's a video with a whole bunch of customizations to make it look and feel closer

Yeah. I've tried it and it works relatively well. As far as customization it allows you to even go further than actual WP does. I stopped using it as I prefer the normal Android UI (as it's closer to Windows).

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
To think 2 of your castoff QBs went on to win Super Bowls elsewhere and 1 went to the HOF. Don't feel bad, I had to watch Vinny get destroyed and that's hard for a "U" lover.

Come on Clue... give us full credit. We had three QB's we drafted in the first round go on to win SuperBowls with other teams- Doug Williams(Washington), Steve Young (that HOF'er you refered to), and Trent Dilfer with Baltimore. No other team in th histor of the NFL has that stat.

Yeah... Poor Vinny. Everyone wanted him when he came out of the "U". If you only look at his numbers, he was a great QB. Had a nice long career.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm the exception, not the rule. My Lumia 635 is not on spec par with my Note 3, iPhone 6 or even the Z30 I just sold. However, I tend to just want to try all kinds of technology. Didn't like the 521, 810, or 925 though.

I'm warming up to this 635. Think it's a good fit with my routine and I like the screen. Reminds me a bit of my Z10. =)
I'd probably do the same thing as you if I were trying multiple devices. For example, if I were to try a BB10 device, I'd probably get the Z10; or if I were to try an Android device, I'd probably get the Nexus 5.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Come on Clue... give us full credit. We had three QB's we drafted in the first round go on to win SuperBowls with other teams- Doug Williams(Washington), Steve Young (that HOF'er you refered to), and Trent Dilfer with Baltimore. No other team in th histor of the NFL has that stat.

Yeah... Poor Vinny. Everyone wanted him when he came out of the "U". If you only look at his numbers, he was a great QB. Had a nice long career.

My bad, forgot about Trent. But then again, so did the rest of the league. :evil:

You're right about Vinny though. It was hard to root against him when he led the Jets down 30 against the Dolphins that terrible Monday Night (the Jumbo Elliott game).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think sometimes rich people are inclined to eat a burger from McDonald's. I guess what I mean is that it's okay to try all different things, regardless of if they are considered the best. It's the experience that counts right?

I swear by that beautiful little girl in my avatar that this is a true story. I was in the drive-thru at a McDonald's in Melbourne, Fl (a living mausoleum) and there was a white Rolls-Royce behind me. When I pulled up to the window I told the manager (?) about it. His response? "Now they're gonna want Grey Poupon on their sh*t".

Absolute true story.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread seems to be going off topic and many, many people have given the OP a resounding "No", so consider the matter closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99