Do you feel Microsoft should shut down Lumia Phones for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakia Johnson1

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
To all Lumia owners, do you feel that Microsoft should shut down Lumia phones for good? How are you feeling about Microsoft phone platform? Will they ever reach to the top or Will they stay at the bottom? Be honest. I don't have nothing against windows phone nor the new name Microsoft Lumia. A lot of people bash about the platform due to it not having enough apps like Apple and Android. I came from Apple and Android to be honest with you, my first windows phone was the Nokia Lumia 822 I love that device very much but it didn't last for long, had the blue screen of death is what I called it. Went to At&t got my second device which was the Nokia Lumia 920 in yellow Love it very much, then I had the Nokia Lumia 635 on At&t pay as you go, last but not least I have the Nokia Lumia 1520. Got my two kids on Windows Phone and they love it themselves. So I am just asking everyone on here how do you feel about Microsoft. Me personally I will not go back to android nor apple. My personal preference is the windows phone and wouldn't mind having a Microsoft Lumia device.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
No, they shouldn't shut it down. I feel good, and that they have room to grow. I think that's a question of how quickly they can motivate developers and customers. I think people are already growing tired of Android, judging by Samsung and other OEM financial performance, so there's plenty of opportunity for Microsoft to gain traction if Windows 10 gets the positive attention it needs.

I feel like you're probably trolling, but I'll gladly expand on that if you're being serious.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This is like asking a person if they want to shoot off their own foot for no apparent reason and not be compensated for their troubles.

Therefore it is simply out of the questions as how would they justify:
a) spending all that amount of money to acquire the d & s division.
b) the re-org and the termination of a lot of contracts (employees & suppliers) that were tied to the factories that M & S inherited with the acquisition.

Everyone forgets that windows phone 8.x is still a relatively newborn O/S and has been on the market for just over 2 years, windows mobile or windows phone 7 do not factor into that equation.

Never the less the approach MS has taken as of late is questionable, then again MS and logic... well they don't entirely mix.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
No... why should they do that? Lots of people in the world right now are considering Windows Phone, or at least wondering about it. Lumia phones are the heart of Windows Phone, why would they shut Lumia down? Windows Phone will at least be number 2 one day. I'm sure of that.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I believe they cannot shut down the Smartphone business without doing a great deal of damage to their creditablility in the market. If they can get up to 10% or higher in the long run they will do ok. As I have both WP and Android I like WP better and my main phone is a WP; but I am satisfied with Android and if it was all I had it would not bother me at all. However I feel Microsoft is making a lot of mistakes and continue to do so. Like the 830 for 499$ when you can get better Android phones for the same price or less. I really don't know if they DESERVE to do better. But if they do then great. But if they don't the sun will still come up tomorrow.

CombatRock

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I do not believe they should shut down the Lumia line. I would like to see them release a new high end Lumia phone and have it released on all US carriers simultaneously. Carrier exclusives is currently MS issue.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I believe Microsoft should shut down Android phones.... LOL

Comon on, what sort of question is that to post on WPC?

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'll take the bait; I don't think they should shut down the line at all. Maybe focus on fewer phones and optimize the OS more. But I don't think they should shutter the line altogether.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I think now would be a bad time to give up. If they'd thrown in the towel after Windows Phone 7? Sure, they never sold all that many of those, and there was possibly an opportunity to coopt Android with a business oriented Microsoft fork in 2011-12 or so. But now, they have enough momentum that it's starting to be significant. I mean, if we believe that one stat that was running around, they were in third place for phone activations the week of Christmas. That's impressive!

Last edited:

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
No. I like having an alternative to the "big 2". They just don't look or feel how I want my personal device to look or feel. Microsoft struck a chord in me with the design of this OS. I really want it to succeed enough to stay relevant and worth their while. I don't care if it never becomes a majority. I just want it to be a solid 3rd option for a long time to come.

I think they are in it for the long haul. Look at Xbox. They could have given up way back when that launched. Here it is, one of the "big 2" (nothing against Nintendo...I still love their devices...it is just the Windows phone of gaming at the moment... and gaining momentum).

Last edited:

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see them release a new high end Lumia phone

So many people say this as if it is a panacea for all WP's maladies. How will a flagship attract more developers and help close the 'app gap'? I can see how it will keep more people from defecting to Android or iOS, but fail to see how a ?500 device will result in better app development for our platform.

loosec

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Eeeeeer no.why talk like that.its a good OS system.they great phones ,I,find it far better then wife's iphone or sons s5 hate them so borring.just wish updates came sooner to try and compete with rest

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I think its a mistake to replace Lumia with windows phones. So many people in the UK are now getting to know the Lumia name. And now they replace it with windows phone which is a mistake for 2 reasons..

1) if the Lumia name fades out then people will think it was a brand that failed and went into administration

2) if you advertise windows phone then people will automatically link it with a pc thinking "great that's all we need.. A phone full of viruses and crashes"

Do we really need that? Microsoft done so many adverts regarding the Lumia phones and Cortana adverts. To get rid of the Lumia name is getting rid of a well known name. People wont know windows phone is continuing where Lumia left off which means Microsoft have to start all over again to get its name known as a windows phone. Utter stupidity in my opinion

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
2) if you advertise windows phone then people will automatically link it with a pc thinking "great that's all we need.. A phone full of viruses and crashes"

Which is exactly what I thought, and needed a lot of convincing to persuade me otherwise. How can MS make such a great phone OS, but such a lousy desktop one?!

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's strategy with Windows Phone and Lumia seems quite obvious to me now going forward.

Lumia will be Microsoft's budget friendly phones for Windows Phone platform. They will look to OEMs to create the flagships going forward.

Lumia will simply be used as a tool to bring more users into the WP fold, once they are interested and invested in the platform and seek to upgrade - they will buy a flagship from an OEM.

This is the only way for WP to succeed is by the support of OEMs - Microsoft cannot go it alone with WP and they know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99