$180 HP Stream Mini, pocket-size desktop announced at CES 2015

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
HP Pavilion 300-020 Mini Preview - CNET

Anybody else excited about this news?!

I think this is the start of a new trend. Gone will be the days of huge bulky desktops sitting on top of your desk. Now we'll have pocket-sized PCs at every monitor or TV that are capable of doing the daily tasks that most consumers need, like Office/web-browsing/streaming video, and they'll all be $200 or less.

What's interesting is that I was just toying around with a sub $200 HTPC build, but now HP just built one for me lol.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what was so exciting about this announcement since Mini-PC styled Windows 8 PC's have been around for at least a year now. Acer, Asus, Lenovo and HP all have made one.

At $215 ($35 more than the HP Stream) Asus's PC gives you 4GB's of RAM, a 500GB Hardware, what is likely a better CPU and it comes with a Mouse/Keyboard.
Amazon.com : ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02 Desktop : Computers & Accessories

Additionally at higher price points they have an Intel i5 model with a 1TB Hard drive.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what was so exciting about this announcement since Mini-PC styled Windows 8 PC's have been around for at least a year now. Acer, Asus, Lenovo and HP all have made one.

At $215 ($35 more than the HP Stream) Asus's PC gives you 4GB's of RAM, a 500GB Hardware, what is likely a better CPU and it comes with a Mouse/Keyboard.
Amazon.com : ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02 Desktop : Computers & Accessories

Additionally at higher price points they have an Intel i5 model with a 1TB Hard drive.

You're right. Until today, I've never even heard of the ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02 (probably because Asus is terrible at naming their products.) Now I've been doing some researching and I'm discovering devices like the Meegopad T01. I think the notable thing about the HP Stream Mini is that it's finally bringing miniPCs to the consumer spotlight.

I'm still toying around with a ~$250 HTPC build, and I might just give up the miniPC form factor for a microATX build. It won't be as compact or power efficient, but for the price it's going to have desktop performance.

Decisions...decisions...

TimboNJ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
You mean like RDC or Teamviewer?

Or do you mean using an actual remote control like this? Or a remote control app like Unified Remote?

In any case, the answer is yes to all of the above.

I might go with your build over the other options. You get what you pay for and it's not that much more price wise.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
This has been available on the HP website for some time now and I think I read somewhere it hits the stores on February 8th. Anyone actually buy one yet?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos