Opinion: Physical Keyboards

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
For the enterprise world, yes.

For the consumer world, no.

In short, if Microsoft offered phones with QWERTYs they would cannibalize sales from Blackberry, but not gain ground on iOS or Android.

Last edited:

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no. Yes, I think pkb devices will always have a market in the efficiency and productivity first space, as long as it is a solid and sensible offering, which happens to cover most of enterprise. No, because Windows Phone OS 8.1 is not optimized/may not offer enough for the efficiency and productivity first user's demands. I think once the OS reaches that caliber, any pkb device that is sound in its design can only help.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Because Windows Phone has such a small market share, I don't think it would be worth pursuing, besides modern virtual keyboards are at least as efficient, if not better than the best physical keyboards.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Physical Keyboards fit into a niche market currently occupied by Blackberries, and yes that niche happens to be in the enterprise world.

There are times I would love to have a physical keyboard attached to my 8.1 phone, however there are also times when I don't want the extra bulk of it.

I think an option to utilize Bluetooth keyboards would allow a niche market to have "covers" for the back of the Windows Phones that have a "slide-out" or "slide-out and tilt" physical keyboard that can be operated via Bluetooth. This would be the ideal situation, as it would make the nonkeyboard phone of choice available for average consumers, and allow any of the models to have an "attached" keyboard for that niche market. I am hoping that W10 for phone will take us in that direction. Perhaps not a huge increase in market share, but between the security of Windows Phone, the integration with Windows Laptops and Desktops running Windows 10, and adding in an attachable Bluetooth keyboard, it could spell doom for the Blackberry market altogether.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The market is small but bigger than the current user base of WP. It's an interesting niche, and It'd be a good complement to the Surface, the tablet with a keyboard.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Physical Keyboards fit into a niche market currently occupied by Blackberries, and yes that niche happens to be in the enterprise world.

BlackBerry is still championed as the king of Enterprise, but I wonder if we've yet hit the threshold where there are more enterprise connected iOS and Android devices than BlackBerry at this point...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see one with a keyboard.

The market has gotten to bland in recent years, I want some slider action again!

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I think that a physical keyboard would help WP become a major player in enterprise. If Microsoft ever releases one, I would buy it immediately.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry is still championed as the king of Enterprise, but I wonder if we've yet hit the threshold where there are more enterprise connected iOS and Android devices than BlackBerry at this point...

BlackBerry still enjoys a 60% market share in the Enterprise arena. The fact they've opened up BES to iOS and Android shows that they're quite comfortable in this segment and are now monetizing their services.

As for the OP, it all comes down to how badly do you want to give up screen real estate. With the accuracy of WP's vkb and the robustness of its predictive text, I would not entertain a pkb on WP. BlackBerry has the qwerty keyboard down pat. Except for the old Palm Treo, nothing else has ever come close so I don't see anybody even attempting to come up with one. Two WP7 devices had physical keyboards but I found them impractical. The LG Quantum had nice chicklety keys but the layout was horrible. The Dell Venue Pro had a nice slider but the phone itself was so large that it made it very top-heavy and uncomfortable after just a few minutes. It was on this device that I finally weened myself off keyboards because the virtual one was so good.

Don't get me wrong, a pkb is great when you are trying to type when walking a jobsite and can't focus entirely on a screen or moving from one meeting to another, etc. Then again, these scenarios are the type that BlackBerry users are known for.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Of course, I want a physical Keyboard, I'm still using a windows phone with one.

However, if they could add Bluetooth keyboard support. I would consider upgrading.

later

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Physical keyboards would be great if
1. They don't sacrifice thickness and weight.
2. It actually helped typing. Something like a combination of the BlackBerry passport and that keyboard that goes into the screen.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, on screen keyboards are quicker and easier. Autocorrect and swipe make it super simple. I will never go back to a physical keyboard.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry is dying, they're selling less than 2 million devices per quarter and falling.
Microsoft should take that niche with a Surface Phone Qwerty Edition for the enterprise market.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think a keyboard would be awkward for the Lumia line itself, but if a Surface Phone appeared with a professional focus (maybe like a more angled 930 and without loud colors we're known for) something like a cover on the tablet (i saw a concept on this once) I think they could have something new on their hands.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry is dying, they're selling less than 2 million devices per quarter and falling.
Microsoft should take that niche with a Surface Phone Qwerty Edition for the enterprise market.

Geez, another misinformed BlackBerry Prophet of Doom. Under Chen's watch BB has gone from $1B in the red to $46MM in the black in less than 2 years. Every company should suffer a horrible death like that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think a keyboard would be awkward for the Lumia line itself, but if a Surface Phone appeared with a professional focus (maybe like a more angled 930 and without loud colors we're known for) something like a cover on the tablet (i saw a concept on this once) I think they could have something new on their hands.

I think you're on to something. Let's brainstorm. How about a landscape Type-ish cover with the magnetic latch and all. With the kb closed you have a screen protector like the old Palm Tungstens. Since it's removable, you're not adding any weight or girth to the existing device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)