Which Lumia to get?

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this has been posted or in the wrong place, but I really need the help.

So currently I have the L520, it's good but not enough (sometimes it lags). So I've been looking up the other phones, and researched a bit on potential phones. The only potential phones I saw were the Lumia 535, Lumia 730 and Lumia 830, since I'm probably using them as my primary phone.

Here's the rundown on my issues:
- Lumia 535: not too sure getting this, since I prefer Nokia. However, it is available in my country, so I could just grab it off the shelf.

- Lumia 730: also available in my country, and a really good phone. But honestly I prefer the 735 (again, not available in my country since no 4G). The thing holding me back is what are the differences with the 830? Is it negligible or not.

- Lumia 830: I want it, but it's not available in my country. Bought too much gifts while I was in the U.S., so I didn't get it and now regret it. The only way to get it is by asking a friend going out of the country to buy it, or wait for it to be released in my country.

- Lumia 925/930: Only thing is it has no expendable memory, that's a must sadly.

- Other Lumias: not convinced, either too old or too big.

Bottomline, could you guys recommend me which phone should I get? The current only available phones are the 535 and the 730 right off the bat. But I may be able to buy the 830 though it will probably take months before I get it. Or perhaps I should wait for a newer flagship phone that Microsoft will release. As a comparison, my current daily phone is the Xperia Z2, and so am looking for a Windows phone that could rival that both in camera and performance.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this has been posted or in the wrong place, but I really need the help.

So currently I have the L520, it's good but not enough (sometimes it lags). So I've been looking up the other phones, and researched a bit on potential phones. The only potential phones I saw were the Lumia 535, Lumia 730 and Lumia 830, since I'm probably using them as my primary phone.

Here's the rundown on my issues:
- Lumia 535: not too sure getting this, since I prefer Nokia. However, it is available in my country, so I could just grab it off the shelf.

- Lumia 730: also available in my country, and a really good phone. But honestly I prefer the 735 (again, not available in my country since no 4G). The thing holding me back is what are the differences with the 830? Is it negligible or not.

- Lumia 830: I want it, but it's not available in my country. Bought too much gifts while I was in the U.S., so I didn't get it and now regret it. The only way to get it is by asking a friend going out of the country to buy it, or wait for it to be released in my country.

- Lumia 925/930: Only thing is it has no expendable memory, that's a must sadly.

- Other Lumias: not convinced, either too old or too big.

Bottomline, could you guys recommend me which phone should I get? The current only available phones are the 535 and the 730 right off the bat. But I may be able to buy the 830 though it will probably take months before I get it. Or perhaps I should wait for a newer flagship phone that Microsoft will release. As a comparison, my current daily phone is the Xperia Z2, and so am looking for a Windows phone that could rival that both in camera and performance.

The 535 is still Nokia, it just has the Microsoft name on it - I believe its the same team.
Although, it has some famous touch issues, which, while are probably not in every single phone, are common enough to make sure you have a way to get warranty service/replacements. There are firmware updates to fix it to varying degrees.

The 730, compared to the 830:
730 has a smaller PenTile AMOLED display (you probably wont care) at 4.7", same resolution.
Virtual buttons
It does not have the 10 MP OIS PureView snapper on the back, but its camera still isn't bad.
Better FFC
Dual SIM (735 is single SIM, and has LTE and Qi)
Battery is the same, but probably performs a bit better
No Glance
Different design
Its the same under the hood.

I probably missed some differences, but eh.
I'd just get the 730, major difference would be the camera I would think.

MaxMones501

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
The Microsoft Lumia 535 is a good phone, rear camera is 5mp and is reasonable quality, but the screen is a bit poor, the 730 is a good phone, with exceptional value for money, but if you want the phone with the best camera that meets your specs, it has to be the Lumia 830, the camera is amazing. Hope this helps :)

Main phone: Nokia Lumia 830 White
Tablet: Apple iPad Air 2 64GB White

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

The 535 is still Nokia, it just has the Microsoft name on it - I believe its the same team.
Although, it has some famous touch issues, which, while are probably not in every single phone, are common enough to make sure you have a way to get warranty service/replacements. There are firmware updates to fix it to varying degrees.

The 730, compared to the 830:
730 has a smaller PenTile AMOLED display (you probably wont care) at 4.7", same resolution.
Virtual buttons
It does not have the 10 MP OIS PureView snapper on the back, but its camera still isn't bad.
Better FFC
Dual SIM (735 is single SIM, and has LTE and Qi)
Battery is the same, but probably performs a bit better
No Glance
Different design
Its the same under the hood.

I probably missed some differences, but eh.
I'd just get the 730, major difference would be the camera I would think.

Hmm, how about if price isn't a concern? Would you still recommend the 730?
And does the glance screen + physical buttons help?

Lastly bugs wise, is it notorious in the 730 & 830? I'm narrowing it down to those 2.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Rotaru Andrei

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1520 is the best, it has all the features the others have, great screen, better processor and ram than 535/630/635/730/735/830
better camera, better everything :D

And if you are on a budget i will choose the lumia 730/735

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 730 or 930 is your best choice.

In my experience, you should never buy any low end / lower-high / old Lumia phone!
For example: Lumia 820, 1320, 530/535, 630, 830.
Unless you love the design and the camera of 830, then suit yourself. If not, just get a Lumia 730 or 930.

My parent are using Lumia 820 and Lumia 1320, and guest what? those are f*cking 400$ phones and don't even have Miracast!!!
I feel being victimized after purchase a smart TV because I suggested them to buy those phones.
God know what features they're missing in the future?!

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The Microsoft Lumia 535 is a good phone, rear camera is 5mp and is reasonable quality, but the screen is a bit poor, the 730 is a good phone, with exceptional value for money, but if you want the phone with the best camera that meets your specs, it has to be the Lumia 830, the camera is amazing. Hope this helps :)

Yes, a camera is important for taking pictures with beautiful ladies :smile:.

Also, I was thinking about buying the Lumia 830 also in white. How's your day-to-day use? Did you encounter any problems/bugs? And most importantly, how was the overall performance and feel to it?

Lumia 1520 is the best, it has all the features the others have, great screen, better processor and ram than 535/630/635/730/735/830
better camera, better everything :D

And if you are on a budget i will choose the lumia 730/735

Hahahah, I would love to, but it is simply too big!

Lumia 730 or 930 is your best choice.

In my experience, you should never buy any low end / lower-high / old Lumia phone!
For example: Lumia 820, 1320, 530/535, 630, 830.
Unless you love the design and the camera of 830, then suit yourself. If not, just get a Lumia 730 or 930.

My parent are using Lumia 820 and Lumia 1320, and guest what? those are f*cking 400$ phones and don't even have Miracast!!!
I feel being victimized after purchase a smart TV because I suggested them to buy those phones.
God know what features they're missing in the future?!

Oh, I was also thinking about the 930 but it just doesn't have expandable memory, which sucks. How do you live without the expendable memory?

Also the reason why you dislike the low end/lower-high/old lumia phones are because they don't have miracast right?

You must be from Indonesia, right?

Well we got a sharp one here! Yeah gw dari Indonesia.

Last edited:

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I was also thinking about the 930 but it just doesn't have expandable memory, which sucks. How do you live without the expendable memory?

Also the reason why you dislike the low end/lower-high/old lumia phones are because they don't have miracast right?

Lumia 930 has 32GB memory, I never using that much, so that not really my concern.
Snapdragon 800 in Lumia 930 is still a "future proof" chipset. In 2 year we are still at 8xx chipset, so yeah...
I dislike the old / low-end / lower-high phone because those phones are lack a lot of "future proof" feature.

Who knew if this year may have this news title:
"Only Snapdragon 800 and up can have full features of Windows10 ?!" <<<< MS style.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
So after reading Paul Thurott's recommendation of the best Windows Phone you can get, which he says is the 930, I'm getting more confused.

The 730 vs. 830 vs. 930.

Again, money does not matter at all. I am primarily looking for a good camera (mostly the rear), a smooth experience and a commendable battery life.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 930 has 32GB memory, I never using that much, so that not really my concern.
Snapdragon 800 in Lumia 930 is still a "future proof" chipset. In 2 year we are still at 8xx chipset, so yeah...
I dislike the old / low-end / lower-high phone because those phones are lack a lot of "future proof" feature.

Who knew if this year may have this news title:
"Only Snapdragon 800 and up can have full features of Windows10 ?!" <<<< MS style.

Hahahah true that. I'm probably using this phone for 2-3 years, so yeah the Lumia 930 is futureproof, and now I'm back to considering it. I'll have to give up on the expandable memory though.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, how about if price isn't a concern? Would you still recommend the 730?
And does the glance screen + physical buttons help?

Lastly bugs wise, is it notorious in the 730 & 830? I'm narrowing it down to those 2.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

If price isn't a concern, I'd also look at the 830 and 930.
The 830 and 730 have better battery life i believe than the 930, but aren't as fast etc.

Glance is a feature some people can't live without, but its a feature many do without, such as those enjoying iPhones or Samsung Android phones.
Physical buttons is more of a personal preference. It's a cost saving measure, but otherwise its personal preference.
Their designs are different too, with the 730 resembling the Lumia's and Nokia's of older, like the N9, but with the 830 channeling something more closer to the 930 and 925.

I don't hear of major bugs in either phone.

If cost was no object, I'd get the 830, and give some thought to the 930.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
If price isn't a concern, I'd also look at the 830 and 930.
The 830 and 730 have better battery life i believe than the 930, but aren't as fast etc.

Glance is a feature some people can't live without, but its a feature many do without, such as those enjoying iPhones or Samsung Android phones.
Physical buttons is more of a personal preference. It's a cost saving measure, but otherwise its personal preference.
Their designs are different too, with the 730 resembling the Lumia's and Nokia's of older, like the N9, but with the 830 channeling something more closer to the 930 and 925.

I don't hear of major bugs in either phone.

If cost was no object, I'd get the 830, and give some thought to the 930.

Well I do not care of glance as I have the Microsoft band, but the thing that concerns me is only the expandable memory. Seeing as you have the Lumia 920, how do you deal with no expandable storage? Do you stream your music and store pictures in the cloud, or other things?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I do not care of glance as I have the Microsoft band, but the thing that concerns me is only the expandable memory. Seeing as you have the Lumia 920, how do you deal with no expandable storage? Do you stream your music and store pictures in the cloud, or other things?

At 32 GB of storage, it was an unheard of amount for me when I got it last year.

I could definitely fill it up if I tried hard enough, but its more than enough to hold my basic apps, some fancy games, all 7-ish GB of my music, couple GB of photos, etc... I filled it up once with numerous fancy games, but I've since got rid of them since I never played them.
It isn't expandable, but it has more than enough for me, and worst case scenario, I can always delete something, its not like the total available storage is shrinking by the day.
Cramming it all into 16 GB will prove to be a challenge if I had to.

~19 GB used, ~10 GB free
4.5 GB apps+games
7.20 GB music
2 GB photos
.5 GB email+messaging
.3 GB maps
4.5 GB system
^numbers are rounded

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
At 32 GB of storage, it was an unheard of amount for me when I got it last year.

I could definitely fill it up if I tried hard enough, but its more than enough to hold my basic apps, some fancy games, all 7-ish GB of my music, couple GB of photos, etc... I filled it up once with numerous fancy games, but I've since got rid of them since I never played them.
It isn't expandable, but it has more than enough for me, and worst case scenario, I can always delete something, its not like the total available storage is shrinking by the day.
Cramming it all into 16 GB will prove to be a challenge if I had to.

~19 GB used, ~10 GB free
4.5 GB apps+games
7.20 GB music
2 GB photos
.5 GB email+messaging
.3 GB maps
4.5 GB system
^numbers are rounded

So out of the 32GB, what is the real amount of storage (how much the system + updates take)?

MaxMones501

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I say if price isn't an issue and you want a good camera you should get the 930. But I don't think storage will be a problem and even if you do run out of memory, you can just delete the stuff you don't need :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So out of the 32GB, what is the real amount of storage (how much the system + updates take)?

29 GB at the start, my system size is just under 4.5 GB, so I'll give it an extra GB or two of leeway so the phone has room to work with updates and all.
That's probably an excessive guestimate. YMMV could be more, could be less.

I'd say a good 23-6 GB since I feel my system might be a bit big.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Alright thanks so much guys, it's been so helpful. But this is the last hurdle before I shoot. It's between the 730 vs the 930.

I saw in my store that the 730 costs $160, while the 930 costs $530. Both prices are really cheap compared to other countries.

So what's the most future proof phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077