Do you want more Samsung WP devices?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The only area Samsung has completely failed is promotion. Samsung has been very good about software updates, firmware and security patches, and updating their WP's to the next version of software. All of their ATIV series devices has had software improvements and WP 8.1 updates released to them. Their App Hub has had numerous updates and they have expanded their selection, particularly with camera software.

Even as I sit holding the HTC One M8 Windows in my hand, which I am enjoying, I realize Samsung has done a way better job then HTC in supporting WP.

Promoting? Different story. There is not a commercial, not even a magazine or newspaper add to be found. Feel free to criticize Sammy to your hearts content on that one.

Absolutely correct 'Mutt. The International Ativ S was one of the first with 8.1 and even the Neo on AT&T already has 8.1. Members here rag the Samsungs but they put out some excellent WP devices. But the love affair with the Lumias causes many to ignore these wonderful phones. Just bought the wifey a Neo to get her away from Android. She'd been away from WP since her Trophy but she's taken a shine to my 1520 except it's too big for her little hands. The 4.8" Neo is a perfect fit for her.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see them, but the problem with the Samsung Windows Phone devices they've already pushed out don't really rival the Lumia line. There's no reason to get them, so they'd need to differentiate and maybe put that familiar Samsung twist with a ton of random extras and a 293457923745 core processor. Or maybe making two of their flagships...one running Android and the other running Windows (same body, like what HTC did). That could definitely help them. If they put some real effort into it, that would be fantastic. It would be nice to not only have Microsoft making a full line of Windows Phones, but Samsung as well.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. I have no interest in a Galaxy Note 4, but if it were running Windows - then you might have something. The S-Pen combined with One Note and the Windows OS? About as close as we could probably get to a "Surface Phone", that is unless Microsoft makes one.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I have no interest in a Galaxy Note 4, but if it were running Windows - then you might have something. The S-Pen combined with One Note and the Windows OS? About as close as we could probably get to a "Surface Phone", that is unless Microsoft makes one.

Exactly! Galaxy S5, Note 4. I currently have no interest in them. But if they ran Windows Phone as well, I would definitely be. It would probably take those popular devices that Samsung has to give them an edge in the Windows Phone market. And it would also give Windows Phone an edge because those who see their popular devices not only running Android but also Windows Phone, they might consider the Windows Phone option as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see them, but the problem with the Samsung Windows Phone devices they've already pushed out don't really rival the Lumia line. There's no reason to get them, so they'd need to differentiate and maybe put that familiar Samsung twist with a ton of random extras and a 293457923745 core processor. Or maybe making two of their flagships...one running Android and the other running Windows (same body, like what HTC did). That could definitely help them. If they put some real effort into it, that would be fantastic. It would be nice to not only have Microsoft making a full line of Windows Phones, but Samsung as well.

The ton of extras you mention are commonplace on other devices. How many Lumias have replaceable batteries, IR ports and SD card storage? Some have SD storage like the 1520, the lower end models have removable batteries and NONE have an IR port. If you add up all the specs and features, the SE kills every Lumia out there. Don't get me wrong, I like Lumias and I have a 1520 myself, but this blind worship of Lumia devices is just plain misguided. People need to wake up to the realization that if other OEMs are not supported, MS could very easily shutter the mobile business unit if the numbers don't improve. Shareholders have blind worship for money and nothing else.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The ton of extras you mention are commonplace on other devices. How many Lumias have replaceable batteries, IR ports and SD card storage? Some have SD storage like the 1520, the lower end models have removable batteries and NONE have an IR port. If you add up all the specs and features, the SE kills every Lumia out there. Don't get me wrong, I like Lumias and I have a 1520 myself, but this blind worship of Lumia devices is just plain misguided. People need to wake up to the realization that if other OEMs are not supported, MS could very easily shutter the mobile business unit if the numbers don't improve. Shareholders have blind worship for money and nothing else.

But those aren't things that consumers care about. And my main point was that consumers don't SEE anything to choose the Ativ SE over the Icon for example

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But those aren't things that consumers care about. And my main point was that consumers don't SEE anything to choose the Ativ SE over the Icon for example
What do consumers care about? So far they haven't cared about much of anything that WP comes in. Something needs to shake up this platform. Samsung might be a solution.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What do consumers care about? So far they haven't cared about much of anything that WP comes in. Something needs to shake up this platform.

Yes, and Samsung's phones sure haven't done it...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and Samsung's phones sure haven't done it...
Sorry I was editing my comment as you quoted it!

No, but Samsung could do it if anybody can. Even Microsoft can't do it. I don't think we're in any position to be picky at this point.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I was editing my comment as you quoted it!

No, but Samsung could do it if anybody can. Even Microsoft can't do it. I don't think we're in any position to be picky at this point.

I think Microsoft will end up doing it with the launch of Windows 10, but that's a long wait for a new flagship...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft will end up doing it with the launch of Windows 10, but that's a long wait for a new flagship...
Yeah I would think that too, but we've been thinking that with every update for the last couple years. This time, I'm waiting until it actually happens. Then I'll think it!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

What do people care about? Features and benefits are part of sales 101. The SE has more features and benefits than the Icon. Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold any water and it sounds purely subjective.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What do people care about? Features and benefits are part of sales 101. The SE has more features and benefits than the Icon. Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold any water and it sounds purely subjective.

Your statements are subjective as well. It's all about the individual person. However, it's clear that people don't care about the Ativ SE. That's my point. And people care about the Icon. And that's what I'm saying Samsung needs to change. They need to make people care about their product. You're not understanding that. Maybe the Ativ is better, maybe not. Right now, people don't care about it, and that's how it is. We're not talking about a direct comparison, we're talking perspective

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I honestly have no interest in the non-Lumia devices. I expect that they'll all be Android hardware ports, devoid of camera buttons and Lumia firmware, which makes me question the value of an inferior camera, inferior firmware, and a lack of a camera button (and in the case of the One, the on-screen nav buttons are also terrible).

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
My father bought an Ativ S for 200€ two years ago, and he's still waiting for the 8.1 update (naked phone, Country Variant France).
I would say that if MS had no more partnership with OEMS in the phone game, it would not be so bad, even if phones as the M8 (please, wtf it didn't come to Europe ?) or Ativ S are kind of powerful and not that bad.

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I would like them. I would especially love it if Samsung started a Samsung ATIV Note series and released it in India. The Note series phones are really awesome, the only problem is that they are Android-powered.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't mind if they put WP on the Galaxy series and sold it... right now we need flagships not budget or middle of the range to win mind share.
Sure the budget and middle of the range will grab the market share but they aren't that appealing when you see an advert, speaking of which when was the last time you saw a budget or middle range android phones advertised on TV?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077