Running out of patience

BlackBeak

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Instagram is part of a huge corporation though, owned by Facebook. Nobody pays for it on any platform. These huge corporations are different than small time independent developers.

Agreed, but in the case of Facebook you pay with your personal information. For them i can imagine they need to weigh up how much money they can make from an awesome app on windows phone vs spending time on other features for other platforms to keep a larger amount of people using their service and not jumping ship to something else. I see it at work all the time, I'm the frustrated developer wanting to do all these cool things for the users bite don't control the money, managers do, and they generally only look at ROI (and half the time don't even understand what it means...)

BlackBeak

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
And, we still haven't heard of it. LOL, just messing with you, but you could have at least mentioned the name of the app.

Haha yeah I could have, but despite the rant I'm crazy and am working on an update for it which I want to get pushed out first before more people download it for free :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, but in the case of Facebook you pay with your personal information. For them i can imagine they need to weigh up how much money they can make from an awesome app on windows phone vs spending time on other features for other platforms to keep a larger amount of people using their service and not jumping ship to something else. I see it at work all the time, I'm the frustrated developer wanting to do all these cool things for the users bite don't control the money, managers do, and they generally only look at ROI (and half the time don't even understand what it means...)
A lot of people are clueless about ROI when it comes to apps which is half the problem with our app gap on WP. With large corporations you need to look at ROI which I'm sure they're all doing constantly so if WP didn't stack up, that's why the app is either non existent or slow with updates.

I am curious however if there are other issues surrounding apps on WP.

Can ask if developing on WP is easy or a bit difficult?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people are clueless about ROI when it comes to apps which is half the problem with our app gap on WP. With large corporations you need to look at ROI which I'm sure they're all doing constantly so if WP didn't stack up, that's why the app is either non existent or slow with updates.

I am curious however if there are other issues surrounding apps on WP.

Can ask if developing on WP is easy or a bit difficult?

It's easy but has plenty of restrictions. Android is loaded with things you can make your app do but WP doesn't allow too much third party control.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow really? Have you ever considered it from a developers point of view? How many apps do you actually pay for or do you take them all for free?

I have an app on the app store, and while its not huge (and you probably haven't heard of it), it averages about 4.5 stars across all markets. It has a few thousand downloads. Do you know how much money I've made from it? About -$150. It costs money to make apps, and not a single person has purchased it despite the fact people seem to love it. Ad revenue makes about $0.15 a month, the goal of my app is that it gets out of your way and you don't have to open it often. Where is my motivation to spend hours and hours of my free time (of which, having a full time job there is not much) to work on doing extra features and applying polish when I know there is no reward in it for me?

I put it back on you, phone users are cheap and want everything for free, and you get what you pay for.

I pay for just about every app with a paid version. As for your specific example, you specifically say that you make the app to be 'out of the way' and 'you don't have to open it that often', implying that you designed it in a way to where it won't ran you much money. It also seems likely that you didn't put in a "get rid of ads for 1$" sort of option that a lot of people are doing these days. I stick with my words that a lot of the applications that get taken down are from lazy developers who get tired of bad reviews.

You basically got insulted by something that wasn't even me talking about you, unless your app has stalled and you pulled it from the store.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Relax, gang. Let's not make this about app development. There is no way we can contrast large, multi-million dollar companies app development VS. mid-sized companies or third party apps development VS. small/Indy app development. So we shouldn't try.

Back on topic, I am actually glad steadydon has decided to roll for a little while longer on WP. It is a true compliment to the OS that someone who knows that iOS could work for him would still like to use WP until WP 10 and the next wave of devices/developments bring.

But I do agree that I would always suggest using what makes your life the easiest. Do not stay on WP past the point of sanity. But I am glad you are still on WP and sharing your thoughts with us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss