Running out of patience

steadydon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Lately I've been playing around with my iPad that I normally use only for CC processing for my business due to Square and no CC processing for the Microsoft line of products. It appears that PayPal is coming this month so we'll see. Anyway in playing around with the iPad I now see how much more polished and feature rich the apps are compared to the Windows Mobile line of apps. For instance; the FB app on iPad allows me to view files/docs on a closed group page that are linked to the cover page pic just by tapping on the pic. However, on the WM side of the app I can't get to the files period unless I use a web browser. The app fails in features and abilities. I have found this to be the case in other apps as well. I don't really use a whole lot of apps but the ones I do use I would like to have the same polish and features as the Apple apps. So I have decided to give Microsoft one more year. If by the end of 2015 the apps are still lacking in polish and features I will be making a change and moving over to the iPhone and iPad. I really hope that Windows 10 entices developers to give Windows Mobile apps the same attention as that of Apple and Android. I won't go Android since I like them much less then Apple. Come on Microsoft help me out here will ya!!!!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Think that's patience.

Not sure what you expect people to say. If you like Apple, use Apple. If you like Windows, use Windows. Microsoft are not the ones writing most of the apps on Windows (although ironically they are FB). It's up to companies to support users. If you think a company is doing a bad job, reach out to them nicely and request the changes you want.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest you go ahead and use the Apple now since you have one and you seem to like using it. If, after a year, the Microsoft world is better app wise, come back. I think this will save you a lot of frustration that you will experience if you use MS expecting it to be better and it isn't after a year.

Would hate to see you go but would love to see you back again.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with aximtreo. Instead of waiting another year, move to iPhone now and check back with WP in a year. It seems quite likely that very little will happen until towards the end of this year at the earliest.

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I also agree with aximtreo. I switch between platforms to meet my everyday needs. While I might not have the same needs as you from my Windows phone, I feel your specific need for specific features would be better met by actually switching now. If I stuck to a platform knowing I'll get the better experience by immediately using another, I'd feel frustrated. You can avoid that frustration now and, on the plus side, if Windows apps meet your need in the future, you can always switch back.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i also agree you should ditectly contact the devs of the apps you are unhappy about!

except for FB and Microsoft proprietary apps, there ain't much they can do!

they already have nice initiatives for devs like DreamSpark and BizPark, they've been improving Visual Studio, with W10 apps will be truly universal and will be easier for devs making one app that will work for PC, smartphone, Xbox!

I think the push that lacks is the users one! we only sit and complain all day but do we really reach to the devs? when there was threads about making petitions and campaigns to attract Snapchat attention after they shut down 3rd party apps, how many did participate?

the primary thoughts of a dev is how many users need their app and how much they will profit

iOS and Android already have a huge base of users but for WP, it is small and most of the times they this small is not worth it...shouldn't we prove them wrong?

but yeah, you should use iOS for now of it fits you and come back in a year! hopefully, things will be different!

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
These types of posts still being created huh? Dude its all good.. Apple's ios have been around since 2006. Android has been around since 2006/7. That's about 9yrs of development and maturing for both platforms.. That's a very healthy Headstart against Microsoft's 4-5 yr old revamped, Zune inspired os. Of coarse the ecosystem of iOS and or Android will be more polished. Use what works for you bruh. The world's not gonna switch axis of you leave WP. It's all good. Just enjoy your device. Cheers 🍻

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
^^^ That is not really an excuse for the lack of functionality with some apps. There's no reason for Facebook, Instagram etc to be lacking in features unless the OS itself is the issue. Which creates a whole lot of other questions.

Now of course we can't do much about it but the question still remains.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
To the OP, it's not illegal to own something else other than WP and Windows ya know. Use what's best for you. I use WP as my daily driver because it just works for me. That takes nothing away from iOS and Android. If you feel like iOS suits your needs, then dive into it head-first.

Be just as loyal to a product/company as the product/company is loyal to you. That's what I always say.

On another note, I wouldn't depend on W10 to bring any drastic changes to anything at this point. I can't rely on something I've only heard about.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
^^^ That is not really an excuse for the lack of functionality with some apps. There's no reason for Facebook, Instagram etc to be lacking in features unless the OS itself is the issue. Which creates a whole lot of other questions.

That's not entirely true.. Lack of functionality in apps such as Instagram is a result of lazy devs that don't want to support the platform at this time and not as a result of OS functionality. If that were the case, then 6tag would've been just as bad! But we all know how superior 6tag is to the official app. The functionality is there..the APIs are there...its up to the devs to make use of them.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's not entirely true.. Lack of functionality in apps such as Instagram is a result of lazy devs that don't want to support the platform at this time and not as a result of OS functionality. If that were the case, then 6tag would've been just as bad! But we all know how superior 6tag is to the official app. The functionality is there..the APIs are there...its up to the devs to make use of them.

If you read my post correctly I said 'unless'. I know most of the mainstream apps have been 'forgotten' on WP and some have even been pulled. Most of it due to devs not caring about WP. Yes I know that.

Yes I heard the 6tag is better than the official app but that's not an excuse not to have the official app at par with the other platforms. That was my point. I'm just tired of people making excuses as to why the apps and functionality is behind. Time is not an excuse. In 5 years time WP will be 9 years old, the other platforms will be 14. Do you think they're going to sit still?

We can all hope that W10 will convince devs to come to WP. However, just going by people hating the Start screen, (I know W10 is different) I'd say most people don't use Metro type apps on Windows OS. I don't think they're all that popular. Maybe W10 will change that but we'll have to wait and see. We really don't know what will devs will make of this advancement. So I'm happy to wait until next week to see how 'great' W10 really is then make up my mind where I think WP is heading.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
If you read my post correctly I said 'unless'. I know most of the mainstream apps have been 'forgotten' on WP and some have even been pulled. Most of it due to devs not caring about WP. Yes I know that.

Yes I heard the 6tag is better than the official app but that's not an excuse not to have the official app at par with the other platforms. That was my point. I'm just tired of people making excuses as to why the apps and functionality is behind. Time is not an excuse. In 5 years time WP will be 9 years old, the other platforms will be 14. Do you think they're going to sit still?

We can all hope that W10 will convince devs to come to WP. However, just going by people hating the Start screen, (I know W10 is different) I'd say most people don't use Metro type apps on Windows OS. I don't think they're all that popular. Maybe W10 will change that but we'll have to wait and see. We really don't know what will devs will make of this advancement. So I'm happy to wait until next week to see how 'great' W10 really is then make up my mind where I think WP is heading.

You seem to miss the gist of my post.. No ones making excuses for apps that are behind the competition.. My point was that if one is to criticize crappy apps, then criticize them at the source; the actual devs..not the platform..

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

How do you propose fixing the issues with the official apps? Microsoft doesn't own Instagram, so what is Microsoft supposed to do? Paying developers didn't exactly work out for BlackBerry.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

How do you get OS problems from third party developers not doing a good enough job?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You seem to miss the gist of my post.. No ones making excuses for apps that are behind the competition.. My point was that if one is to criticize crappy apps, then criticize them at the source; the actual devs..not the platform..

How do you propose fixing the issues with the official apps? Microsoft doesn't own Instagram, so what is Microsoft supposed to do? Paying developers didn't exactly work out for BlackBerry.

It would seem people missed my point but that's ok. I'd like to point out that I probably read the initial post incorrectly. I must have only half read it or something.

For the record. MS could have done a lot more to make WP more popular. Half the battle was theirs to fight and they didn't do a very good job at the time. Yes they're doing better now and I'll give them that, but in general the issues around WP and apps has been theirs in my opinion.

How do you get OS problems from third party developers not doing a good enough job?

You get issues when that's all you have to promote a platform and people are image nuts. There's absolutely nothing wrong with third party apps but they should not be the only source for apps on your platform. You also have issues with third party apps if the providers of the service ever decides to change things.

My comments were questioning trying to sort out why apps seems to stall and then get pulled on WP. If you have an answer for that I'd like to know what it is.

Last edited:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
It would seem people missed my point but that's ok. I'd like to point out that I probably read the initial post incorrectly. I must have only half read it or something.

For the record. MS could have done a lot more to make WP more popular. Half the battle was theirs to fight and they didn't do a very good job at the time. Yes they're doing better now and I'll give them that, but in general the issues around WP and apps has been theirs in my opinion.

You get issues when that's all you have to promote a platform and people are image nuts. There's absolutely nothing wrong with third party apps but they should not be the only source for apps on your platform. You also have issues with third party apps if they providers of the service ever decides to change things.

My comments were questioning trying to sort out why apps seems to stall and then get pulled on WP. If you have an answer for that I'd like to know what it is.

Developers are lazy, basically. After so many bad reviews, as it doesn't work well, they take their ball and go home.

BlackBeak

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Developers are lazy, basically. After so many bad reviews, as it doesn't work well, they take their ball and go home.

Wow really? Have you ever considered it from a developers point of view? How many apps do you actually pay for or do you take them all for free?

I have an app on the app store, and while its not huge (and you probably haven't heard of it), it averages about 4.5 stars across all markets. It has a few thousand downloads. Do you know how much money I've made from it? About -$150. It costs money to make apps, and not a single person has purchased it despite the fact people seem to love it. Ad revenue makes about $0.15 a month, the goal of my app is that it gets out of your way and you don't have to open it often. Where is my motivation to spend hours and hours of my free time (of which, having a full time job there is not much) to work on doing extra features and applying polish when I know there is no reward in it for me?

I put it back on you, phone users are cheap and want everything for free, and you get what you pay for.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow really? Have you ever considered it from a developers point of view? How many apps do you actually pay for or do you take them all for free?

I have an app on the app store, and while its not huge (and you probably haven't heard of it), it averages about 4.5 stars across all markets. It has a few thousand downloads. Do you know how much money I've made from it? About -$150. It costs money to make apps, and not a single person has purchased it despite the fact people seem to love it. Ad revenue makes about $0.15 a month, the goal of my app is that it gets out of your way and you don't have to open it often. Where is my motivation to spend hours and hours of my free time (of which, having a full time job there is not much) to work on doing extra features and applying polish when I know there is no reward in it for me?

I put it back on you, phone users are cheap and want everything for free, and you get what you pay for.

Instagram is part of a huge corporation though, owned by Facebook. Nobody pays for it on any platform. These huge corporations are different than small time independent developers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo