Android slowly failing is windows phone ready to fill the gaps?

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Last time I was in a taxi, a woman seated next to me was struggling with a laggy Samsung s4 she was using, it took almost a minute for the phone to open a whatsapp conversation, it would take over 5 seconds to load the home screen and over 10 seconds to open an app,a few friends of mine who own Samsung devices vow never to buy an android phone because of them being too slow and laggy.
my workmate was gifted a 520 Just recently and she was amused with how the cheap phone was slicker than her $300 Samsung although she whined about an app "dingtone" which she claimed most of her relatives use but just recently she told me that she now finds viber as a better alternative and all her relatives use it.Alot of people these days are sickened by Android, the phones are too laggy,crash and break every other day, the other thing is that there is alot of counterfeit copies of official phones, these phones work badly and have tarnished Google's name

My point:
I think its time for windows phone but Microsoft is delaying the take over, windows phone should be ready by now and ready to take surrogate at anytime its called for, it should have all the necessary features ie data toggle,actionable notification,Bluetooth hid,usb otg to mention a few,it's only problem should be apps which should get filled when we get more OEMs who come with more devs with them,windows phone is fast & slick but still doesn't work as ios or android, background wallpapers shouldn't have come in 8.1, they should have come with windows phone 7,2015 and we are still waiting for data toggle and full-scale background images?.
Android big OEMs are losing the battle to cheap manufacturers and are looking for an alternative OS and that alternative is windows phone and only windows phone, WP can be the next Android but the problem is that we are still figuring out how to make a wallpaper fit the all screen, we are still figuring out how to make our phones charge while they are off, we are still finding a way to put a data toggle button in the notification center, our problems are features that came with android 1.6 donuts or whatever! , the battle of OEMs has already begun and those losing the war are looking for virgin land to occupy and that virgin land isn't tizen,sailfish or Firefox os, the only alternative now is windows phone, no one uses WP and ever finds it easy to switch back to Android, even if they manage,they still find it difficult to use Android or ios,windows phone needs to gather all the necessary arsenal, sit on a waiting chair and wait for a call from napoleon but napoleon won't invite us to the battle if we only have revolvers in our armoury and even when we have the revolvers, we are still figuring out how to insert bullets in them.

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Its time for windows phone but windows phone isn't yet ready for the battle

Interesting perspective and analogy. Let's see what unfolds over the next few months. Especially after the news we'll receive this Wednesday, the 21st. I'll say we're in for a treat, and hopefully, an uprising!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Last time I was in a taxi, a woman seated next to me was struggling with a laggy Samsung s4 she was using, it took almost a minute for the phone to open a whatsapp conversation, it would take over 5 seconds to load the home screen and over 10 seconds to load an app,a few friends of mine who own Samsung devices vow never to buy an android phone because of the them being too slow and laggy,my workmate was gifted a 520 Just recently and she was amused with how the cheap phone was slicker than her $300 Samsung although she whines about an app "dingtone" which she claims most of her relatives use but just recently she told me that she now finds viber as a better alternative and all her relatives use it, alot of people these days are sickened by Android, the phones are too laggy,crash and break every other day, the other thing is that there is alot of counterfeit copies of official phones, these phones work badly and have tarnished Google's name

My point:
I think its time for windows phone but Microsoft is delaying the take over, windows phone should be ready by now and ready to take surrogate at anytime its called for, it should have all the necessary features ie data toggle,actionable notification,Bluetooth hid,usb otg to mention a few,it's only problem should be apps which should get filled when we get more OEMs who come with more devs with them,windows phone is fast & slick but still doesn't work as ios or android, background wallpapers shouldn't have come in 8.1, they should have come with windows phone 7,2015 and we are still waiting for data toggle and full-scale background images?, a lot of features are still missing, android big OEMs are losing battle to cheap manufacturers and are looking for an alternative OS and that alternative is windows phone and only windows phone, WP can be the next Android but the problem is that we are still figuring out how to make a wallpaper occupy the all screen, we are still figuring out how to make our phones charge while they are off, we are still finding a way to put a data toggle button in the notification center, our problems are features that came with android 1.6 donuts or whatever! , the battle of OEMs has already begun and those losing the war are looking for virgin land to occupy and that virgin land isn't tizen,sailfish or Firefox os, the only alternative now is windows phone, no one uses WP and ever finds it easy to switch back to Android, even if they manage they still find it difficult to use Android or ios,windows phone needs to gather all the arsenal, sit on a waiting chair and wait for a call from napoleon but napoleon won't invite us to the battle if we only have revolvers in our armoury and even when we have the revolvers, we are still figuring out how to insert bullets in them.

1) Your observations regarding whether others like their devices are your own and limited to your personal experience. As every bit of real market research has shown, most people are satisfied with devices they already own. Microsoft could release its next generation devices with gold certificates (as in Willy Wonka) and it wouldn't budge most Samsung and iPhone users.
2) You should check our facts since most Android OEMs lose money on everything except the bargain bin devices. Does that sound familiar to anyone? For those who do not get it, that is the same scenario with WP.
3) Please provide verifiable facts to back up your claims regarding when and why WP should already have all the features you note. BTW, it already has most, just evidently not the way you want.
4) These battle metaphors people insist on using around here really are offensive. It is not a war, just business competition vying for mobile device market. I feel the need to apologize to all people who have actually served in the military every time someone here (or elsewhere) minimizes their service and sacrifice by equating market share for a phone to people actually fighting and dying. You do understand that is something that still happens every day on this planet?
5) I think Microsoft already has a CEO and all its division heads are filled. You can still, of course, send them your resume. Maybe they will decide that the Windows Central forums are the best place to choose their next business leads. Everyone around here certainly seem to think they are brighter than those leading one of the world's largest corporations which happens to be doing pretty well according to the markets....

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

If WP is going to work just like ios and android then what's the point? Much as well just stick to those two in the first place.....

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

1) Your observations regarding whether others like their devices are your own and limited to your personal experience. As every bit of real market research has shown, most people are satisfied with devices they already own. Microsoft could release its next generation devices with gold certificates (as in Willy Wonka) and it wouldn't budge most Samsung and iPhone users.
2) You should check our facts since most Android OEMs lose money on everything except the bargain bin devices. Does that sound familiar to anyone? For those who do not get it, that is the same scenario with WP.
3) Please provide verifiable facts to back up your claims regarding when and why WP should already have all the features you note. BTW, it already has most, just evidently not the way you want.
4) These battle metaphors people insist on using around here really are offensive. It is not a war, just business competition vying for mobile device market. I feel the need to apologize to all people who have actually served in the military every time someone here (or elsewhere) minimizes their service and sacrifice by equating market share for a phone to people actually fighting and dying. You do understand that is something that still happens every day on this planet?
5) I think Microsoft already has a CEO and all its division heads are filled. You can still, of course, send them your resume. Maybe they will decide that the Windows Central forums are the best place to choose their next business leads. Everyone around here certainly seem to think they are brighter than those leading one of the world's largest corporations which happens to be doing pretty well according to the markets....

I agree to most of his points but especially at point 5.

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

World's largest corporations owned and run by humans who make mistakes just like any other person,example is Nokia which chose windows phone over Android and later on jumped to Android at the wrong time where even big Android OEMs were falling and later on sold its device division,went back to its old business of making map apps.
Its not that I hate wp or Microsoft FYI I have brought a few friends to WP and am a good wp free advertiser but I would not make such a lame decision Stephen elop and his colleagues made.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site

World's largest corporations owned and run by humans who make mistakes just like any other person,example is Nokia which chose windows phone over Android and later on jumped to Android at the wrong time where even big Android OEMs were falling and later on sold its device division,went back to its old business of making map apps.
Its not that I hate wp or Microsoft FYI I have brought a few friends to WP and am a good wp free advertiser but I would not make such a lame decision Stephen elop and his colleagues made.

Thing is, we did not buy windows phones to be converting people who uses android or iOS to windows phone. IMO it is not right, we are not advertisers. What Stephen Elop did is his decision, whats done is done; not being rude or anything it is just a fact, it is microsoft's responsibility not us as the consumer.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I actually think Windows Phone is positioned for the market. The low end devices are the only area of growth that can be counted on, and WP runs the best of the OS's on cheap hardware. Paul Thurrott made the comment that the next billion to 3 billion smartphone users will be entry level devices. Microsoft is flooding that market and has seen amazing growth in that range.

The high end market- North America, many parts of Europe- seems to be accounted for. Those of us WP users who want a high end WP (I got the M8 for Windows because of the lack of a new Lumia flagship) seem to be stuck in the mud until W10 comes out. Then we can only hope.

I do not know a ton of iPhone users or Flagship Android users that are cheering for more choice. But that is only my circle, and I still believe MS can get the universal apps to expand the social network options and the gaming options in the store WP is well positioned for a nice growth period.

*fingers crossed*

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Windows phone, has matured well within the last few years; and I believe things would get better in the future. Windows phone always brings me a smile to my face.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site

I actually think Windows Phone is positioned for the market. The low end devices are the only area of growth that can be counted on, and WP runs the best of the OS's on cheap hardware. Paul Thurrott made the comment that the next billion to 3 billion smartphone users will be entry level devices. Microsoft is flooding that market and has seen amazing growth in that range.

The high end market- North America, many parts of Europe- seems to be accounted for. Those of us WP users who want a high end WP (I got the M8 for Windows because of the lack of a new Lumia flagship) seem to be stuck in the mud until W10 comes out. Then we can only hope.

I do not know a ton of iPhone users or Flagship Android users that are cheering for more choice. But that is only my circle, and I still believe MS can get the universal apps to expand the social network options and the gaming options in the store WP is well positioned for a nice growth period.

*fingers crossed*

You're making a couple of good points there. However, one thing that still causes me some headaches is my perception that Windows Phone is technically not existent in many parts of Asia, especially China. From what I recall, WP is doing well in some South American markets, but as for Asia, I remain deeply concerned. This is such a crucial emerging region and MS seems to be missing out completely. A golden 930 for China won't help a great deal. Admittedly, there might be some countries here that are faring better but overall I don't see MS efforts materialize any time soon. They need so much more local marketing expertise, this Redmond-US-based world that MS keeps embracing is bound to fail badly.

Anyway, I feel that there's still much background work going on that finally might bring MS back on the right track. If they can create a seamless user experience for OneDrive (currently working on ONE snyc engine), Office (touch office for Windows in the works), Skype, Cortana, XBOX services etc. starting Windows 10 I am optimistic that they could still turn the tide.

Yasser Aboobakar

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

What annoys me the most is microsoft apps such as skype works better on other platform that windows phone..and on the other hand the focus on microsoft services..i read in a recent article that microsoft wants you to use its services rather than using the hardware itself hence why its focusing on other platforms such as android and ios..i have an ipod touch and a lumia 1520 all the microsoft services gets updated more often than the one on the lumia...its very demotivating..as i thought using windows phone would have some certain exclusivity services compared to ios and android...now when i compare those apps its way better than on my lumia 1520...i hope all this can change in the next 48hours to come...even tapatalk on my phone is slow and has a lot of typing lag...

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You're making a couple of good points there. However, one thing that still causes me some headaches is my perception that Windows Phone is technically not existent in many parts of Asia, especially China. From what I recall, WP is doing well in some South American markets, but as for Asia, I remain deeply concerned. This is such a crucial emerging region and MS seems to be missing out completely. A golden 930 for China won't help a great deal. Admittedly, there might be some countries here that are faring better but overall I don't see MS efforts materialize any time soon. They need so much more local marketing expertise, this Redmond-US-based world that MS keeps embracing is bound to fail badly.
As an Asian myself, I don't think Id choose windows phone if its not for security reasons. Some android devices are even cheaper in Asia and has better specs and features than any lower end windows phone devices and it runs Android os which is also the best os for every aspect basic/normal consumer could think of, plus it only cost cheaper like 15 USD and it can give you a smartphone experience, what's better deal than that. The only thing I could think of right now is add more flexibility in the WP OS(like for example it can do every Android can do) and more security since they are aiming for more user, then it would be a better choice.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site

What annoys me the most is microsoft apps such as skype works better on other platform that windows phone..and on the other hand the focus on microsoft services..i read in a recent article that microsoft wants you to use its services rather than using the hardware itself hence why its focusing on other platforms such as android and ios..i have an ipod touch and a lumia 1520 all the microsoft services gets updated more often than the one on the lumia...its very demotivating..as i thought using windows phone would have some certain exclusivity services compared to ios and android...now when i compare those apps its way better than on my lumia 1520...i hope all this can change in the next 48hours to come...even tapatalk on my phone is slow and has a lot of typing lag...

It is difficult for microsoft to ignore the fact that all the consumer base is with either iOS or android, the fact that microsoft is catering to them make it more likely that consumer would either like to use microsoft's product or not use it. Much like the same goes for when blackberry released bbm for ios and android, it took windows phone sometime to get it; but in the end we still got it. Change does not happen immediately over night, though I am very glad that microsoft have a strong software service that anyone may use.

mrAndersonDaOne

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

Worthy points made by people in the post... But I am just a supporter of underdog here windows phone and as from the changes made from windows 8 I can only see bright future for the WP ahead...

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

I think Windows 10 will improve things in all fronts. It's going to be a good year for MS.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Firstly, your assumptions with Android is limited to only yourself. My family uses Android previously (father - S4, brother - S4, mom - note 3), and so do my friends, and none of them are laggy. The only laggy one is what you would expect from, a dirt cheap phone.

And Android losing the battle? Sure, but to Apple. And Apple is slowly also crushing Windows Phone. The market share speaks.

It doesn't seem fair to only base your perspective of Android on one example.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
re: Android is slowly failing is Microsoft Mobile ready to fill the gaps?

IMO, Windows Phone is already mature enough to be a contender.

I'm using an Android right now since my 1520 is being repaired at Nokia Center. I used the old HTC Flagship (One M7) so I'm pretty sure I'm getting better user experience on this than any Android devices aside from the Nexus line based on user reviews.. The hardware is fantastic, the user experience on the other hand is just not on par with Windows Phone. Notifications are my biggest gripe on Android. The Notification center is alright but messages doesn't pop up above which is such a disadvantage for me. I've been with iOS and WP and I was expecting the same experience.. I'm utterly disappointed by that. Sometimes I thought no one texted me for the whole day then when I check my messaging app there are some unread messages. It's truly frustrating for me. I don't even get the red circle on top of the app icon which shows if I have a message or not. Even on phone calls, I don't get the instant red circle if I missed a few calls. In WP, I just glance at the start screen and I'm going to see whether or not I have a missed call or a text message or a message on Viber or Whatsapp, none of those work on Android although I'm not sure if this is a launcher problem since I use Nova so if I'm wrong, please address me as I'm not quite good on Android devices. I don't get notifications outside the Notification Center on my Tab Pro as well although I must say that Facebook works a bit better on Android than on WP.

The overall user experience is much better on WP in my perspective. I really don't have time to explore an operating system due to me being very busy.. I applaud Android for its customizations but WP works better for me. I can't wait to get my 1520 back. Android isn't a pain but it does annoy and frustrate me at times. I'm ditching my plans on getting the HTC M9 just because of Android and I plan on staying with my 1520 for a little bit longer, maybe not a little.. another 2 or 3 years perhaps since I find it very comparable even with the new flagships right now.

App gap? I don't really experience this 99% of the time. My only gripe right now is the lack of last fm integration for Spotify.

tl;dr: Windows Phone is mature enough and has been for the past 6 months. Android will never compare to WP's user experience. My first statement is a fact, the latter one is subjective so just buy whatever phone you like. My preferences may be the total opposite for you so the only time you'll win is researching these devices and take your pick based on your OWN opinion and not the opinion of others.

Nitesh37

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
re: Android is slowly failing is Microsoft Mobile ready to fill the gaps?

Microsoft Corp. is speculated to be bringing Android apps to Windows mobile platforms when it launches Windows 10 on Wednesday, according to ZDNet, effectively closing the app gap between Android/iOS and Windows devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb