Android slowly failing is windows phone ready to fill the gaps?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
re: Android is slowly failing is Microsoft Mobile ready to fill the gaps?

Microsoft Corp. is speculated to be bringing Android apps to Windows mobile platforms when it launches Windows 10 on Wednesday, according to ZDNet, effectively closing the app gap between Android/iOS and Windows devices.

Please don't go there....

G.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft Corp. is speculated to be bringing Android apps to Windows mobile platforms when it launches Windows 10 on Wednesday, according to ZDNet, effectively closing the app gap between Android/iOS and Windows devices.
From what I remember @Bernacules Nerdgasm from YouTube hinting about this on his video before but it isn't clear if its true but they were pretty excited about it. He worked at MS so there's a possibility this must be real. Lets see

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

From what I remember @Bernacules Nerdgasm from YouTube hinting about this on his video before but it isn't clear if its true but they were pretty excited about it. He worked at MS so there's a possibility this must be real. Lets see

There were more reports of it out yesterday and today as well.

Microsoft might put Android apps on Windows Phone - January 20, 2015
Microsoft debating Android app support for Windows Phones - January 19, 2015

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

While Microsoft can put Android on it's systems, Google probably won't allow their Play Store on these devices. And without the Play Store, it would mean developers would still have to package up their apps and maintain them under another system. And then most would have to be tweaked to use Live Tiles and Notifications. So would an Android developer go through all that for a system with 3% marketshare?

(Of course there's the option of side-loading the Play Store, but that brings a mess of issues.)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Makes sense, have an event all about their unified platform then just throw it all away by saying "no need to bother, you can just run android apps instead". Sounds like a great plan....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

While Microsoft can put Android on it's systems, Google probably won't allow their Play Store on these devices. And without the Play Store, it would mean developers would still have to package up their apps and maintain them under another system. And then most would have to be tweaked to use Live Tiles and Notifications. So would an Android developer go through all that for a system with 3% marketshare?

(Of course there's the option of side-loading the Play Store, but that brings a mess of issues.)

Yes, I doubt Google would allow the Play Store, but Amazon's App Store is probably an option. There are several hundred thousand Android apps in it currently. I believe that's what BlackBerry uses. Sideloading is also quite simple; the biggest pain there is finding the .apk's.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I doubt Google would allow the Play Store, but Amazon's App Store is probably an option. There are several hundred thousand Android apps in it currently. I believe that's what BlackBerry uses. Sideloading is also quite simple; the biggest pain there is finding the .apk's.

I think they should do it in a more controlled way. Android apps should coexist in the Windows store with native apps. An Android app should be accepted only if It works well, and under conditions and rules that protect native development.
For example, if the developer already has a native app she's not allowed to replace it with an Android app. If the developer submit an Android app that becomes popular or is making decent money, the developer has to replace it with a native app after a deadline, or the % that Microsoft takes from the app revenue increase from 30% to 50%.

WP already has good developer support, Android apps should be temporal patch until Universal apps take off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos