I came back after 4 days away and logged in with my hotmail details as per usual (single Windows 8.1 account with administrator rights) but the profile went to the default profile (TEMP) and not mine!

A complete disaster!!

Logged into Microsoft Answer Desk and after explaining what had occurred they said I have a virus and my profile is corrupt; and then asked me for a payment to login and restore my profile - WTF!

The computer is near new and under warranty, with no viruses reported.

As you can imagine I was furious and called the seller, they logged in and could not work out what on Earth the problem was either.

Turns out all I had to do was verify my hotmail account because Microsoft in its wisdom blocked my account because I logged in with my tablet while away!!! (You must be joking, seriously?)...

The problem is, the verification is hidden in the small flag in the Windows tray.

Basically the Microsoft tech tried to get money from me for an issue created by Microsoft and a completely unclear verification process!

I am appalled by this situation and sickened by Microsoft attempting to scam me.

Solution: Disconnect your Hotmail account from Windows 8.1 to avoid being treated like an automatic teller machine for Microsofts cash reserves.
    01-23-2015 04:50 PM
    Nahh. Doesn't work like that.

something-smells-fishy.png
    hotphil and aximtreo like this.
    01-23-2015 05:11 PM
    Cool story, bro.
    01-23-2015 05:20 PM
    I came back after 4 days away and logged in with my hotmail details as per usual (single Windows 8.1 account with administrator rights) but the profile went to the default profile (TEMP) and not mine!

A complete disaster!!

Logged into Microsoft Answer Desk and after explaining what had occurred they said I have a virus and my profile is corrupt; and then asked me for a payment to login and restore my profile - WTF!

The computer is near new and under warranty, with no viruses reported.

As you can imagine I was furious and called the seller, they logged in and could not work out what on Earth the problem was either.

Turns out all I had to do was verify my hotmail account because Microsoft in its wisdom blocked my account because I logged in with my tablet while away!!! (You must be joking, seriously?)...

The problem is, the verification is hidden in the small flag in the Windows tray.

Basically the Microsoft tech tried to get money from me for an issue created by Microsoft and a completely unclear verification process!

I am appalled by this situation and sickened by Microsoft attempting to scam me.

Solution: Disconnect your Hotmail account from Windows 8.1 to avoid being treated like an automatic teller machine for Microsoft’s cash reserves.
    This is a seriously ill informed rant. No there are no problems with linking a Hotmail, Live, or Outlook, address and the notification when authorization is need is anything but a small flag in the Windows tray. You may want to find out what is wrong with the machine instead of just tossing this sort of stuff around. I have also worked with Microsoft support on many occasions and have never been charged for anything. Given the lack of detail and propensity for half finished statements that are paired with inflammatory rhetoric, I expect this is a classic case of user error, combined with system error, masquerading as evil technical support.
    Jazmac and aximtreo like this.
    01-23-2015 05:28 PM
    I'm sorry but this is exactly what occurred and how it is. It is Microsoft's Answer Desk which you must login to with your hotmail account.

Here you click on Technical Support and login, then it scans your computer and brings up several support personnel to chat with.

This is where they start the fairy tale about how your profile is corrupt or you have a virus etc. and how you must now pay for them to login and repair your system.

It is an outright scam to get you to pay for support on a computer that no longer works correctly. When the truth is your hotmail account was blocked for some mysterious reason and must be independently verified with a code that they text you!

It is a classic scam as all the tech has to do is tell you to click the small flag in the bottom right and verify your hotmail account, reboot and all is back to normal that's it.

I hate to think how many people have been tricked by Microsoft into paying for support they don't need that has been created by Microsoft themselves!
    01-23-2015 06:43 PM
    i have dealt with MS support multiple times over the past decade, both in an enterprise setting and my personal setups at home, and never had such an issue... I did have an issue using readyboost and powering off the system which was very similar to your issue, but removing the readyboost drive fixed it (don't use readyboost anymore as the ONLY benefit was a 17 second boot up on my 6 year old pc.)

now the flag was the indication that there was an issue, and i can't seem to wonder why it needed authorization unless you JUST got the system. it's quite common when hardware gets replaced. I have left my pc alone and off for weeks and never had that issue pop up upon login. the issue seems to be related to your system and not a bug or cash grab from MS, but that's my opinion...
    01-23-2015 06:55 PM
    The facts are plain.

1. My hotmail account required verification. The reason why is unknown and is really unimportant with respect the main issue.

2. As a result of this Windows 8.1 logs in with a TEMP user account which sets everything back to default (as if the computer is brand new). Which is a confronting situation especially when you have set everything up and use the computer for work.

3. The message you receive at this point, is to check the Event log - you do this and see scores of red flags with error messages that soon becomes information overload with no clear route to resolve the problem.

4. So the first step is to contact Microsoft for assistance (note the computer is an Alienware 18 and 6 months old with a 12 month warranty. The tech merely has to tell you to independently verify your account by clicking the small flag that appears in the bottom right corner (in the tray). But instead they provide false and misleading information stating that you have a corrupt profile etc. and that to fix this they must login – however, being a premium service (Answer Desk) you must pay up front for this. (Incidentally there was no other support route at the Microsoft website I visited).

Unfortunately I am not permitted by this website to post this link.

This is an appalling misuse of their power over a user who is unaware of this issue. As mentioned I had the seller (Dell) login and they were also unsure of what the issue was and could not help.

It was after I researched the issue and went through as much as I could on the system that I discovered the flag and followed it through.

As soon as I verified the account and restarted the computer, it was if the problem never existed in the first place.

The audacity of Microsoft to attempt to obtain money from me using this technique of reporting false diagnosis is absolutely disgusting and the comments (above) that I am somehow mistaken or my PC is faulty, is equally repugnant.

This is my experience (fact) whether you like it or otherwise.
    01-23-2015 07:38 PM
    Personally I'd change my Hotmail password if this happened.

Accounts are locked when unusual activity is detected. You did say a tablet was used but this wouldn't normally cause a problem.

Make sure you enable two-factor authentication in Outlook. It's a momentary pain but adds a lot more security to your Microsoft data.

Two-step verification: FAQ - Windows Help
    01-23-2015 07:56 PM
    A couple of points on this:

1. I never asked nor wanted a hotmail account to setup and access my new computer – this is another Microsoft issue.

2. When their verification process fails (which it does from time time) i.e. the phone does not ring, a text is not sent, or the email is not sent. You have to wait 30 days for it to be all reset.

This is because Microsoft no longer have a dedicated hotmail support team. (see letter from them the last time this happened to me).

The solution is to Disconnect your account in Windows from your hotmail account but this should be a choice at setup not at some later time.

Of course this does not excuse the reprehensible conduct of Microsoft when they attempted to have me pay for support I did not need which is the point of this post.

This is the letter from Microsoft when I did not receive a verification code and despite a dozen phone calls, countless emails and live chats no one could assist, and this was the ONLY way to fix it:

//

Microsoft account

Security info replacement

Someone started a process to replace all of the security info for the Microsoft account (hotmail email).

If this was you, you can safely ignore this email. We'll send you another message when the 30-day waiting period is up.

If this wasn't you, someone else might be trying to take over (hotmail email).

Click here and we'll help you protect this account.

Thanks,
    The Microsoft account team
    01-23-2015 08:22 PM
    Whatever website you logged into for help, it doesn't sound like Microsoft!
    Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk (with free typos)
    aximtreo likes this.
    01-24-2015 02:00 AM