02-04-2015 10:34 AM
64 123
tools
    As in the end of WP..?..that's more likely than the alternative.
    DJCBS likes this.
    01-25-2015 06:31 AM
    Will 2015 Be the year for Windows Phone?
    What do you guys think?
    I would like to be year for W10P but I don't belive in that.
    Android is to much on the market and iOS. It is too late for WP or W10P.
    01-25-2015 07:14 AM
    Will 2015 Be the year for Windows Phone?
    What do you guys think?
    It is the beginning of a new road and for what I saw in the MS event a very high and promising one. Mr. Nadella specifically said "we are working on new W10 mobile devices mid and flashing phones". So this makes me very happy.
    01-25-2015 08:06 AM
    Not 2015, but I now believe MS has the tools and plan in place which can get WP to gain very significant share.

On the marketing side, this latest event shows that MS can be cool again.

Windows 10 brings free upgrades for everyone on W7 and up. So huge number of people will have W10 in their lives, at work and home. At the same time W10 brings universal apps. I think this can have a huge impact on the demand for windows apps. And as we all know, the lack of apps has been the #1 stumbling block for Windows Phone adoption. I can see this driving a huge shift in the attention the platform gets.

I don't envision WP becoming #1 anytime soon, but I do think MS has opens the door for the ecosystem to make a huge leap forward.

In the meantime, the lineup of WP devices that are available is atrocious for anyone looking for a high end device. I was coming close to investing in an apple phone. I should probably just do that and then sell it if/when MS finally comes out with the next flagship device (which I hope is a 1020 successor).
    jmshub likes this.
    01-25-2015 08:36 AM
    I hope they also focus on wise hardware designs and features, I mean I want them to build a Sony xperia beater, w10 mobile from what I've seen is still an OS that doesn't do much so it would be better if they could make a whole new beast not just another 1020 or another 930. So is 2015 will be a year for windows phone? No, android is still a better choice for practicality that's why it became very popular. This battle is like MAC vs PC, (android is the PC and WP is MAC), PC is still the best choice for most users, well I'm not saying WP is not good (its my prefered OS actually) its just not powerful as Android.
    01-25-2015 08:56 AM
    I hope so but W10 for mobile needs to be as powerful as Android to succeed. I watched the keynote all the way through and I was impressed more so on the PC side and with Hololens than wp at the moment, that may change when I can get my hands on preview in feb for my 1020 or 930.

The only thing I can see is WP still not being powerful enough for power users. As Android grows were seeing more functionality being pushed onto the platform and the phones keep getting better. MS needs to keep the momentum going with WP they can't afford to slow down and be an also ran but one thing that came out of the keynote is the integration across the platform that W10 brings.

I love WP just as much as the rest of us here but for business I can't put down my Note 4, it offers everything in a portable package and I think once MS shows their hand either at MWC or later in the year with hardware that is going to be able to utilise the software more then we will have a winner on our hands, the only downside is that ms has apps on other eco systems that perform better than the wp ones. Whether this is rectified at W10 launch remains to be seen but they really need a compelling argument to bring users into the system.

Unified Apps and cross platform functionality looks to give many business or IT department a tool to increase productivity across staff which would be a world class eco system if implemented correctly. Looking forward to see what happens anyway.
    01-25-2015 09:13 AM
    WP fans are like Liverpool FC fans ..... We will keep saying "This year's ours" till eternity .... No real progress will be made as usual ... And you will never walk alone :P :P
    zokstar, DJCBS and FinancialP like this.
    01-25-2015 10:18 AM
    WP fans are like Liverpool FC fans ..... We will keep saying "This year's ours" till eternity .... No real progress will be made as usual ... And you will never walk alone :P :P
    The difference is that this time MS actually made the right step to this to happen, and that is called W10.. If you read around W10 has been well receive by many, even MS' fierce critics. Just comparing this New MS to the one of 2013 you could say this is a real 360. Mr. Nadella is pushing the envelope to it wasn't before, for ex: The Hololens; this was supposed to be a game only devices but when Mr. Nadella saw it and realized the potential of this he asked his team "why are you limiting this just for games?" So, the future is bright MS might not take the world by storm but its making the right noises.
    01-25-2015 01:38 PM
    Windows 10 phones are one Android exploit away from a significant move up in the standings. Android power users comprise maybe 25% of the Android universe. Ask an Android phone user what LookOut, AVG, etc is. You'll get an answer like ' ... an app in the Play Store, should I have that ? ... '

Android is not a matter of IF, simply a matter of WHEN. That just might have some impact on the global standings.

That being said, a drastic change for Windows Phones will take time. Contracts / NEXT, JUMP, EDGE dictate @ least a 1 year cycle. Look for a move mid 2016, if it comes & if it doesn't ... THEN you can pronounce Windows Phone.

I know I'm gonna get pushback from all the Android users on here, but 80% of Android users don't even know this forum exists, much less read it. They're vulnerable, not the power users & they're also fickle!
    01-25-2015 05:17 PM
    Quite possibly no. Windows 10 probably won't be out until summer/fall, and I'm willing to bet we won't see a new flagship until then. So late 2015 could be the year for Windows phones, but definitely not the whole year.
    01-25-2015 06:30 PM
    Quite possibly no. Windows 10 probably won't be out until summer/fall, and I'm willing to bet we won't see a new flagship until then. So late 2015 could be the year for Windows phones, but definitely not the whole year.
    Agreed. I believe the Windows 10 highend smartphones from Microsoft will get the Surface treatment in advertising. Windows 10 will force developers to the platform. They can't ignore millions of users that will be upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My suggestion is to put the link to the app Store everywhere you can think off.
    01-25-2015 07:51 PM
    Yes.

Just like 2014 was the year for Windows Phone.
    And 2013 was the year for Windows Phone.
    And 2012 was the year for Windows Phone.
    And 2011 was the year for Windows Phone.

I highly doubt that year will ever come, even with Windows 10. And I think Microsoft also knows that. Much like ChromeOS will never be able to make a dent on the marketshare of Windows, Windows (phone) will never make a dent on Android's marketshare.
    Luisraul924 and FinancialP like this.
    01-25-2015 08:48 PM
    Yes.

I highly doubt that year will ever come, even with Windows 10. And I think Microsoft also knows that. Much like ChromeOS will never be able to make a dent on the marketshare of Windows, Windows (phone) will never make a dent on Android's marketshare.

You really think that Windows on a phone will never make a dent in the smartphone market share?
    01-25-2015 08:57 PM
    Yes.

Mobile is easier to break through than Windows on desktop with every OEM pushing Windows desktop OS heavily. I don't think you understand that. Chrome OS doesn't have the capabilities of Windows on desktop. It's not on same playground. Windows 10 will be on the level of Android on mobile. What Microsoft needs is to get more devices out there. Either by winning more OEMs or produce those devices themselves.
    Jorge Holguin likes this.
    01-25-2015 09:01 PM
    I don't know where the idea comes from that WinPhone 10 is going to change things. There are no drastic improvements in WP10. AAPL owns the high end and, so far, Android rules the low end. The only chance WP has to increase marketshare is to grab a chunk of the low end Android userbase (and/or those who would buy a low end Android).
    01-25-2015 09:27 PM
    I expect apps will come quickly to Windows Store since Windows 10 will have millions users from Windows 7. The user base will be too large for developers to ignore.
    01-25-2015 09:40 PM
    Windows 10 pc looks great
    Windows 10 phone looks so bad...
    luisfarelo and colinkiama like this.
    01-25-2015 09:42 PM
    Hmmm interesting you say that because after updating to the Denim update it seems Microsoft is really trying to push this mobile operating system for users that are debating on switching.
    01-25-2015 10:04 PM
    I'll vote against it, and hard. They've got no announced release date for Windows 10, and it could be in the fall. If that's the case, they're not going to build serious traction in only a couple of months--just as their WP8 growth didn't come as soon as the OS launched in late-2012. They're not going to get a perfect launch, as no one does. 2015 is going to basically be a public beta, where we get the initial hardware and software, and spend a few months complaining about things like we did with WP8--random reboot loops, bricked devices, light-bleeding displays, missing apps, etc.

If you want to talk about meaningful growth, then you likely have to wait until 2017. By then, Windows 10 will be not only matured, but possibly close to replacement. We'll then see if Microsoft has actually established a plan for a long-term mobile ecosystem, as everything with Windows Phone has so far been poorly planned and an overall bust. A lot of folks have seen and recognized the abandonment of WP7, and they fear it for WP8 users. They see the Windows-based app gaps and need assurances of usability growth before they buy in. So, 2015 is going to be a trial run. 2016 is going to be a time to prove that there is a long-term plan. 2017 is the time to present that plan and get a decent following of faithful customers.

It's actually like how 2014 was for Windows Phone 8. We started seeing some low-end sector growth in 2013 and 2014. however, we also saw Microsoft use 2014 to absorb Nokia's handset division, then watched as they butchered things for several months (not releasing a high-end device, severely hampering Xbox Music, not bringing in enough big-name applications), only to lead up to a 2015 Windows 10 launch to try again. Microsoft's had this "try for 2 years, then reboot," issue since 2010, and they're going to need 2 years of consistency and proof it won't come with another reboot before people believe in them.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-25-2015 10:40 PM
    No, it'll be the year of the iPhone 6.

I don't think Microsoft will be in a much better place at the end of this year than they were last.
    01-25-2015 10:41 PM
    Seems many are wishing for a flagship phone, I personally like my 620 because of the size. I Am a guy and I already have to carry the phone,keys glasses, wallet and what ever else. The 620 fits good in my work pants that have special pocket for cell phone. I don't like the trend toward large cell phones I just don't want to get a man purse. LOL
    bmetelsky and DJCBS like this.
    01-26-2015 01:33 AM
    I think it will take a year or 2 to get the W10P rolling.
    01-26-2015 08:17 AM
    2015 will be the year of Linux desktop, for sure :D
    01-26-2015 08:23 AM
    I doubt it. It's still fun being the only one in a bunch with a different phone though. Microsoft now markets their phones as a mere Windows desktop companion, and that's exactly how I think of them.
    01-26-2015 08:36 AM
    You really think that Windows on a phone will never make a dent in the smartphone market share?
    Mobile is easier to break through than Windows on desktop with every OEM pushing Windows desktop OS heavily. I don't think you understand that. Chrome OS doesn't have the capabilities of Windows on desktop. It's not on same playground. Windows 10 will be on the level of Android on mobile. What Microsoft needs is to get more devices out there. Either by winning more OEMs or produce those devices themselves.
    The problem is that WP fans, generally, can't admit the failure of the WP platform. It's like those generals in a War that simply refuse to admit defeat. It's human, I'm not censoring it. But I think it's time to be a bit more realistic and less hopeful.
    No, I don't think Windows on a phone will never make a dent in the smartphone market share. First and foremost because it's NOT Windows on a phone. If it was real Windows on a phone, maybe it would make a dent. Mainly because developers would be able to provide their programs on a phone too. Of course, we'd be talking about full x86 programs, not "Universal apps" which require developers to create the programs as an app to start with (or a massive investment to turn a program into an app). It would be ideal but a really hard project to pull off.

You're right, ChromeOS doesn't have the same capabilities of Windows on desktop.
    And neither does WP have the same capabilities of Android on a phone.

And that's the thing. While WP (or "Windows 10 on phones" whatever you want to call it) remains closer to iOS than to Android, it will have in the smartphone market the exact same power that ChromeOS has on the Desktop.

There's little point in flooding the market with devices that people don't want to buy.
    The only thing Microsoft CAN do to attract people to WP is open up the OS AND insist (and bribe if necessary) developers of major platforms to put their apps on Windows Phone AND support them. It's more than having the app on the platform. It's having the app AND assuring the developers don't abandon it like, say, Instagram.
    The other alternative would be for Microsoft to assume the development of the majority of the apps (like they do with Facebook) which would require a tremendous financial effort that I'm dead sure that Microsoft shareholders would never allow.

So yes, I'm convinced that WP will never have its year. I think the platform failed, much due to Microsoft's own lack of commitment to it. Microsoft can flood the market with cheap WP devices, it will still make no difference. It's not the lack of hardware that is making people stay away from WP. It never was. It's WP itself.
    Microsoft had its best chance when Nokia was around to lift off WP. Microsoft decided it wasn't worth the effort and left Nokia with all the work, trying to promote an OS they weren't even responsible for. Now Nokia has left and Microsoft is keeping the same level of commitment to WP. The fact that they didn't even bother to spend much time with it on the 21st of January keynote is, to me, a very good example of that.
    The focus of the entire mobile part of the presentation was in apps and mainly the Office suite. That tells me one thing: Microsoft's commitment is towards their mobile services more than towards its mobile operating system. And I don't think that's such a bad strategy.

I think internally, Microsoft has realised WP will never go anywhere. It will remain in 3rd place (assuming Tizen never actually takes off) and a distant third place. No matter how much money Microsoft throws into it. Windows (Phone) 10 will be, I think, Microsoft's last attempt at trying to make the WP platform relevant. If even with WP10 it doesn't take off, I think Microsoft will just discontinue the project and focus on PC/tablets and on their mobile services for Android and iOS.
    01-26-2015 08:54 AM
64 123