Will 2015 Be the year for Windows Phone ?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think if people like windows 10 and hololens WP will slowly gain traction over the next few years... But not this year.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, it's hard for anyone to even pick up a windows phone that's compelling because of the lack of flagship devices with modern specs. On att there's only the 635 (low end phone that's probaly not a good experience) , the 830 (mid range performance) , the 1020 (not even supported anymore) and the 1520 (a huge phone whose chipset is already almost three generations behind.) and the HTC ONE M8 (a phone that's already almost a year old spec wise with a lacking camera.)

So MS is going to have to make good on their 2015 flagship promise.

Well I think that is a good thing the OS runs good on lower spec devises. A low end windows phone will run circles around a low end android.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, it's hard for anyone to even pick up a windows phone that's compelling because of the lack of flagship devices with modern specs. On att there's only the 635 (low end phone that's probaly not a good experience) , the 830 (mid range performance) , the 1020 (not even supported anymore) and the 1520 (a huge phone whose chipset is already almost three generations behind.) and the HTC ONE M8 (a phone that's already almost a year old spec wise with a lacking camera.)

So MS is going to have to make good on their 2015 flagship promise.

Well hopefully before summer we will have the HTC m9. That's the only bright spot right now.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Will 2015 Be the year for Windows Phone?
What do you guys think?

It is the beginning of a new road and for what I saw in the MS event a very high and promising one. Mr. Nadella specifically said "we are working on new W10 mobile devices mid and flashing phones". So this makes me very happy.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Not 2015, but I now believe MS has the tools and plan in place which can get WP to gain very significant share.

On the marketing side, this latest event shows that MS can be cool again.

Windows 10 brings free upgrades for everyone on W7 and up. So huge number of people will have W10 in their lives, at work and home. At the same time W10 brings universal apps. I think this can have a huge impact on the demand for windows apps. And as we all know, the lack of apps has been the #1 stumbling block for Windows Phone adoption. I can see this driving a huge shift in the attention the platform gets.

I don't envision WP becoming #1 anytime soon, but I do think MS has opens the door for the ecosystem to make a huge leap forward.

In the meantime, the lineup of WP devices that are available is atrocious for anyone looking for a high end device. I was coming close to investing in an apple phone. I should probably just do that and then sell it if/when MS finally comes out with the next flagship device (which I hope is a 1020 successor).

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I hope they also focus on wise hardware designs and features, I mean I want them to build a Sony xperia beater, w10 mobile from what I've seen is still an OS that doesn't do much so it would be better if they could make a whole new beast not just another 1020 or another 930. So is 2015 will be a year for windows phone? No, android is still a better choice for practicality that's why it became very popular. This battle is like MAC vs PC, (android is the PC and WP is MAC), PC is still the best choice for most users, well I'm not saying WP is not good (its my prefered OS actually) its just not powerful as Android.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I hope so but W10 for mobile needs to be as powerful as Android to succeed. I watched the keynote all the way through and I was impressed more so on the PC side and with Hololens than wp at the moment, that may change when I can get my hands on preview in feb for my 1020 or 930.

The only thing I can see is WP still not being powerful enough for power users. As Android grows were seeing more functionality being pushed onto the platform and the phones keep getting better. MS needs to keep the momentum going with WP they can't afford to slow down and be an also ran but one thing that came out of the keynote is the integration across the platform that W10 brings.

I love WP just as much as the rest of us here but for business I can't put down my Note 4, it offers everything in a portable package and I think once MS shows their hand either at MWC or later in the year with hardware that is going to be able to utilise the software more then we will have a winner on our hands, the only downside is that ms has apps on other eco systems that perform better than the wp ones. Whether this is rectified at W10 launch remains to be seen but they really need a compelling argument to bring users into the system.

Unified Apps and cross platform functionality looks to give many business or IT department a tool to increase productivity across staff which would be a world class eco system if implemented correctly. Looking forward to see what happens anyway.

viswanathansri

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
WP fans are like Liverpool FC fans ..... We will keep saying "This year's ours" till eternity .... No real progress will be made as usual ... And you will never walk alone :p :p

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
WP fans are like Liverpool FC fans ..... We will keep saying "This year's ours" till eternity .... No real progress will be made as usual ... And you will never walk alone :p :p

The difference is that this time MS actually made the right step to this to happen, and that is called W10.. If you read around W10 has been well receive by many, even MS' fierce critics. Just comparing this New MS to the one of 2013 you could say this is a real 360. Mr. Nadella is pushing the envelope to it wasn't before, for ex: The Hololens; this was supposed to be a game only devices but when Mr. Nadella saw it and realized the potential of this he asked his team "why are you limiting this just for games?" So, the future is bright MS might not take the world by storm but its making the right noises.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 phones are one Android exploit away from a significant move up in the standings. Android power users comprise maybe 25% of the Android universe. Ask an Android phone user what LookOut, AVG, etc is. You'll get an answer like ' ... an app in the Play Store, should I have that ? ... '

Android is not a matter of IF, simply a matter of WHEN. That just might have some impact on the global standings.

That being said, a drastic change for Windows Phones will take time. Contracts / NEXT, JUMP, EDGE dictate @ least a 1 year cycle. Look for a move mid 2016, if it comes & if it doesn't ... THEN you can pronounce Windows Phone.

I know I'm gonna get pushback from all the Android users on here, but 80% of Android users don't even know this forum exists, much less read it. They're vulnerable, not the power users & they're also fickle!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Quite possibly no. Windows 10 probably won't be out until summer/fall, and I'm willing to bet we won't see a new flagship until then. So late 2015 could be the year for Windows phones, but definitely not the whole year.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Quite possibly no. Windows 10 probably won't be out until summer/fall, and I'm willing to bet we won't see a new flagship until then. So late 2015 could be the year for Windows phones, but definitely not the whole year.

Agreed. I believe the Windows 10 highend smartphones from Microsoft will get the Surface treatment in advertising. Windows 10 will force developers to the platform. They can't ignore millions of users that will be upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My suggestion is to put the link to the app Store everywhere you can think off.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

Just like 2014 was the year for Windows Phone.
And 2013 was the year for Windows Phone.
And 2012 was the year for Windows Phone.
And 2011 was the year for Windows Phone.

I highly doubt that year will ever come, even with Windows 10. And I think Microsoft also knows that. Much like ChromeOS will never be able to make a dent on the marketshare of Windows, Windows (phone) will never make a dent on Android's marketshare.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

I highly doubt that year will ever come, even with Windows 10. And I think Microsoft also knows that. Much like ChromeOS will never be able to make a dent on the marketshare of Windows, Windows (phone) will never make a dent on Android's marketshare.

You really think that Windows on a phone will never make a dent in the smartphone market share?

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

Mobile is easier to break through than Windows on desktop with every OEM pushing Windows desktop OS heavily. I don't think you understand that. Chrome OS doesn't have the capabilities of Windows on desktop. It's not on same playground. Windows 10 will be on the level of Android on mobile. What Microsoft needs is to get more devices out there. Either by winning more OEMs or produce those devices themselves.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know where the idea comes from that WinPhone 10 is going to change things. There are no drastic improvements in WP10. AAPL owns the high end and, so far, Android rules the low end. The only chance WP has to increase marketshare is to grab a chunk of the low end Android userbase (and/or those who would buy a low end Android).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss