Do Microsoft employees even use Windows Phone?

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Just curious. I noticed when Satya was announced as CEO there was a picture of everyone at the event and they were all using Lumia 920s or 1020s.
Just wondering if that is still the case, or if they have all moved on.
What with all the bank apps leaving, no new flagships, and this new focus on Android and iOS, you have to wonder what they're actually using in Redmond.

MoshMast

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure they are mostly using Windows Phone since it's their own OS, but there are sure to be some who have separate phones for work and personal who may want to dabble in iOS or Android as well. I don't really blame them given all the negatives you mentioned, but it seems like Windows 10 will be a major turning point for all of us any may even help that gap. :D

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Of course they do, and many are the most passionate advocates of the platform you will find even if their work is unrelated.

The higher (management) levels will and if they get a company phone it will be a windows phone i guess.
But MS is a big company and I do not believe every one will have a windows phone.
Because why should they. It's also would mean that a Pepsi employees could not drink coca cola or a McDonald's worker only can eat fast food.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft surface could take care of whole business thing so it's irrelevant whatever their phone is. Since their tablet can do the most thing

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
around CEO levels employees are using Windows Phone, Nokia Lumia 1030, Nokia Lumia 1530, and more
they beta test all the Lumias, then lower levels as it goes from alpha, beta, to public

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Having had brief experience working there, trust me, everyone from the ground up that isn't maintenance or outside contractors gets a Lumia. That's certainly true in the UK anyway. I was given a 635, because I was there briefly, but I had colleagues given free 920s and my line manager had a 1520. The entire Microsoft meeting system requires windows phone, trust me on that.

EvgeniyV

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
My close friend is a developer in Microsoft. He owns large set of Microsoft devices, including Windows Phone(s) from the very first models. And he tell me about 50% of his colleagues uses Windows Phone too

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing to say that employees uses there own phone other than windows phone, if they do then you might have employees carrying 2 phone with them. If that is the case then I am not sure, maybe microsoft have a BYOD policy.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think they have Android and iPhones. Why? To evaluate what lack on their own platform. By directly interacting with competitor products they can evaluate themselves to make more innovative improvements

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine that most employees in the Windows Phone division use them, but outside of that it's probably not much more than the general population. WP is rare enough that some Microsoft employees might not even be aware of its existence.

This is not about direct employees, but my boss is a Microsoft MVP. He often goes to summit meetings. He says that among the MVPs there the ratio of WP seems to be about the same as the general market share, as in not many. I know they're not employees, but these are people who live and breathe Microsoft. My boss himself doesn't use WP. Although he still prefers it, he was forced to switch because of specific capabilities that WP lacks.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
MS employees are people.
Google employees are people.

There are Google employees who use an iPhone, doesn't mean Android sucks or whatever you're gunning for.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
MS employees are people.
Google employees are people.

There are Google employees who use an iPhone, doesn't mean Android sucks or whatever you're gunning for.

But i would say, if your phone company is in 3rd place and sucking wind, I would be plenty angry if I found any employee above the mailroom level using anything other than a windows phone. I would guess at this point in time, it's all hands on deck, or find somewhere else to work.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Former employee here.

Honestly, its all about personal preference. When I was hired, I had a Galaxy Note. No one said anything about it. They really don't think about it. They give you incentives to use the platform and devices, but in no way "enforce" it. If you get a company phone where the company pays for your mobile plan, chances are, you'll get a WP device. For your personal device that you choose to use for work, they support all of the platforms.

Believe it or not, employees really could care less what mobile phone you choose to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte