Do Microsoft employees even use Windows Phone?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But i would say, if your phone company is in 3rd place and sucking wind, I would be plenty angry if I found any employee above the mailroom level using anything other than a windows phone. I would guess at this point in time, it's all hands on deck, or find somewhere else to work.

Microsoft is not a phone company. They're a software company with a mobile division that only recently started to build their own line of hardware. They're not in third place by any stretch of the imagination. The world does not revolve around mobile computing. Desktop computing still rules the roost and mobile computing is but one extension of it. In this regard, Microsoft is the Big Man on Campus and second place is Apple's OS X with a mere 5% share. Thus endeth the lesson, class dismissed.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is not a phone company. They're a software company with a mobile division that only recently started to build their own line of hardware. They're not in third place by any stretch of the imagination. The world does not revolve around mobile computing. Desktop computing still rules the roost and mobile computing is but one extension of it. In this regard, Microsoft is the Big Man on Campus and second place is Apple's OS X with a mere 5% share. Thus endeth the lesson, class dismissed.

The world does not revolve around mobile computing? Interesting....

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The world does not revolve around mobile computing? Interesting....

It doesn't. Nothing interesting about it. Design, engineering and manufacturing is done on desktop. Forget those areas, how many mobile Powerpoint creators do you know of? Not editors, creators. AutoCAD 360 for Android and iOS barely qualifies as a viewer because it's so limited. Your enthusiasm for mobile computing seems genuine. But keep it real, it ain't all that.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No one said anything about it.

This is what I would expect. I think people in general think about that one incident where Ballmer smashed an employee's iPhone or whatever happened.

One question though: do you have any idea what percentage of employees use something other than WP? I would think it be much higher than the market share, but how much?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
never heard of this iPhone incident, but huh?

He's laughed at the iPhone, but hey he signed this guys MacBook before.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The answer is some do and some don't. There's no mandate that every employee must use WP. I have a friend that was using a Nexus but went back to a Windows Phone because believe it or not WP is actually a better business phone. But I see MSFT employees using the latest Apple phones or Galaxies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
They might want to focus on the potential profits from mobile vs putting all their eggs in the software basket..Microsoft's earnings stars include Surface and Office 365, but Windows stumbles | PCWorld

Mobile rose because they waived the licensing fees. Windows and Licensing division dropped because Windows 10 is coming, Windows 8.1 has been made into a pariah and the aforementioned waiving of licensing fees on WP. $900mm profit on Mobile is not going to cut it.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Mobile rose because they waived the licensing fees. Windows and Licensing division dropped because Windows 10 is coming, Windows 8.1 has been made into a pariah and the aforementioned waiving of licensing fees on WP. $900mm profit on Mobile is not going to cut it.

So where will Microsoft's profits come from when the commercial and consumer licensing fees dry up due to the competition from google, apple, and others? Apple seems to make a ton of money from mobile hardware. It might be time for Microsoft to be a little more serious about making money in this area or go the way of Blackberry and the dodo bird.

fairyjo

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
My 2 cents...
I was just at the French Microsoft TechDays in Paris last week, there were lots of Microsoft employees around and I could see most of them using Windows Phones. Although at the daily plenaries, they also explained that CEO Satya Nadella is encouraging Microsoft employees to live in an internet only, mobile only world and to make as many Microsoft products compatible with other platforms which forces them to use other devices too.

PS: I had a great time at the MS TechDays last week and last year; if you've never been to a TechDays event and you work in IT, you really should consider this...

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Former employee here.

Honestly, its all about personal preference. When I was hired, I had a Galaxy Note. No one said anything about it. They really don't think about it. They give you incentives to use the platform and devices, but in no way "enforce" it. If you get a company phone where the company pays for your mobile plan, chances are, you'll get a WP device. For your personal device that you choose to use for work, they support all of the platforms.

Believe it or not, employees really could care less what mobile phone you choose to use.

former employee???? What happen there?????....where di you go????....I remember you from the debut of Cortana

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Smartphones aren't so expensive that Microsoft employees couldn't have several. I'd bet many have several phones that they use.

Even those in Windows Phone development shouldn't be using only their phones. They should also be using Android and iOS. They should know exactly how their OS stacks up against the competition. They should know which features are better on Android and iOS.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Smartphones aren't so expensive that Microsoft employees couldn't have several. I'd bet many have several phones that they use.

Even those in Windows Phone development shouldn't be using only their phones. They should also be using Android and iOS. They should know exactly how their OS stacks up against the competition. They should know which features are better on Android and iOS.

With all the cross-platform work Microsoft is doing with their core apps, I would think their employees are almost encouraged to use different phones. If anything, as developmental engineers.

Revi Bennett

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
what are you talking about? microsoft cloud is the biggest in the industry, surface is a billion dollar business, hololens, xbox etc, msft is well diverified.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2