02-24-2015 12:30 PM
41 12
tools
    Just curious. I noticed when Satya was announced as CEO there was a picture of everyone at the event and they were all using Lumia 920s or 1020s.
    Just wondering if that is still the case, or if they have all moved on.
    What with all the bank apps leaving, no new flagships, and this new focus on Android and iOS, you have to wonder what they're actually using in Redmond.
    Protocol Rahul likes this.
    02-12-2015 10:45 PM
    I'm sure they are mostly using Windows Phone since it's their own OS, but there are sure to be some who have separate phones for work and personal who may want to dabble in iOS or Android as well. I don't really blame them given all the negatives you mentioned, but it seems like Windows 10 will be a major turning point for all of us any may even help that gap. :D
    hidayat225 likes this.
    02-13-2015 04:42 AM
    Of course they do, and many are the most passionate advocates of the platform you will find even if their work is unrelated.
    jmshub and pwrof3 like this.
    02-13-2015 04:47 AM
    Of course they do, and many are the most passionate advocates of the platform you will find even if their work is unrelated.
    The higher (management) levels will and if they get a company phone it will be a windows phone i guess.
    But MS is a big company and I do not believe every one will have a windows phone.
    Because why should they. It's also would mean that a Pepsi employees could not drink coca cola or a McDonald's worker only can eat fast food.
    02-13-2015 05:20 AM
    I think Microsoft surface could take care of whole business thing so it's irrelevant whatever their phone is. Since their tablet can do the most thing
    pwrof3 likes this.
    02-13-2015 05:23 AM
    around CEO levels employees are using Windows Phone, Nokia Lumia 1030, Nokia Lumia 1530, and more
    they beta test all the Lumias, then lower levels as it goes from alpha, beta, to public
    zkyevolved and pwrof3 like this.
    02-13-2015 05:37 AM
    Having had brief experience working there, trust me, everyone from the ground up that isn't maintenance or outside contractors gets a Lumia. That's certainly true in the UK anyway. I was given a 635, because I was there briefly, but I had colleagues given free 920s and my line manager had a 1520. The entire Microsoft meeting system requires windows phone, trust me on that.
    RichardBurt and pwrof3 like this.
    02-13-2015 05:42 AM
    Obviously I'm talking the corporate side, I don't know about retail or manufacturing etc.
    02-13-2015 05:42 AM
    My close friend is a developer in Microsoft. He owns large set of Microsoft devices, including Windows Phone(s) from the very first models. And he tell me about 50% of his colleagues uses Windows Phone too
    pwrof3 likes this.
    02-13-2015 05:51 AM
    There is nothing to say that employees uses there own phone other than windows phone, if they do then you might have employees carrying 2 phone with them. If that is the case then I am not sure, maybe microsoft have a BYOD policy.
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-13-2015 07:21 AM
    I think they have Android and iPhones. Why? To evaluate what lack on their own platform. By directly interacting with competitor products they can evaluate themselves to make more innovative improvements
    jmshub and pwrof3 like this.
    02-13-2015 09:56 AM
    I would imagine that most employees in the Windows Phone division use them, but outside of that it's probably not much more than the general population. WP is rare enough that some Microsoft employees might not even be aware of its existence.

This is not about direct employees, but my boss is a Microsoft MVP. He often goes to summit meetings. He says that among the MVPs there the ratio of WP seems to be about the same as the general market share, as in not many. I know they're not employees, but these are people who live and breathe Microsoft. My boss himself doesn't use WP. Although he still prefers it, he was forced to switch because of specific capabilities that WP lacks.
    pwrof3 likes this.
    02-13-2015 10:06 AM
    Certainly use it
    02-13-2015 10:14 AM
    Not all of them maybe, even Bill Gates think iPhone is cool and he own one. So personal preferences.
    02-13-2015 10:21 AM
    I read recently somewhere that the new boss really didn't care what they used, but Ballmer used to take their iphones and would pretend to stomp on them. Read a few paragraphs down....http://www.businessinsider.com/micro...nadella-2015-2
    pwrof3 likes this.
    02-13-2015 10:24 AM
    I think this thread is hilarious because Eric Schmidt was famously photographed a few months ago at a meeting and he was sporting a BlackBerry Bold 9900.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Guess...-exact_id61191
    Last edited by fatclue_98; 02-13-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Found the link.
    HeyCori and pwrof3 like this.
    02-13-2015 10:29 AM
    MS employees are people.
    Google employees are people.

There are Google employees who use an iPhone, doesn't mean Android sucks or whatever you're gunning for.
    tgp, rmeigs and 2tomtom like this.
    02-13-2015 01:37 PM
    MS employees are people.
    Google employees are people.

There are Google employees who use an iPhone, doesn't mean Android sucks or whatever you're gunning for.
    But i would say, if your phone company is in 3rd place and sucking wind, I would be plenty angry if I found any employee above the mailroom level using anything other than a windows phone. I would guess at this point in time, it's all hands on deck, or find somewhere else to work.
    pwrof3 likes this.
    02-13-2015 01:54 PM
    Former employee here.

Honestly, its all about personal preference. When I was hired, I had a Galaxy Note. No one said anything about it. They really don't think about it. They give you incentives to use the platform and devices, but in no way "enforce" it. If you get a company phone where the company pays for your mobile plan, chances are, you'll get a WP device. For your personal device that you choose to use for work, they support all of the platforms.

Believe it or not, employees really could care less what mobile phone you choose to use.
    xandros9, myfyp2, rmeigs and 9 others like this.
    02-13-2015 02:02 PM
    My two cents and a fun fact: Nokia Networks (the part MS did not buy) still hands out Nokia Windows Phone smartphones to its employees :)
    fairyjo and pwrof3 like this.
    02-13-2015 02:08 PM
    Guess what? They have to use iOS and Android because they are active developers for those platforms
    pwrof3 likes this.
    02-13-2015 02:12 PM
    But i would say, if your phone company is in 3rd place and sucking wind, I would be plenty angry if I found any employee above the mailroom level using anything other than a windows phone. I would guess at this point in time, it's all hands on deck, or find somewhere else to work.
    Microsoft is not a phone company. They're a software company with a mobile division that only recently started to build their own line of hardware. They're not in third place by any stretch of the imagination. The world does not revolve around mobile computing. Desktop computing still rules the roost and mobile computing is but one extension of it. In this regard, Microsoft is the Big Man on Campus and second place is Apple's OS X with a mere 5% share. Thus endeth the lesson, class dismissed.
    02-13-2015 02:13 PM
    Microsoft is not a phone company. They're a software company with a mobile division that only recently started to build their own line of hardware. They're not in third place by any stretch of the imagination. The world does not revolve around mobile computing. Desktop computing still rules the roost and mobile computing is but one extension of it. In this regard, Microsoft is the Big Man on Campus and second place is Apple's OS X with a mere 5% share. Thus endeth the lesson, class dismissed.
    The world does not revolve around mobile computing? Interesting....
    pwrof3 and Tom Snyder like this.
    02-13-2015 02:51 PM
    The world does not revolve around mobile computing? Interesting....
    It doesn't. Nothing interesting about it. Design, engineering and manufacturing is done on desktop. Forget those areas, how many mobile Powerpoint creators do you know of? Not editors, creators. AutoCAD 360 for Android and iOS barely qualifies as a viewer because it's so limited. Your enthusiasm for mobile computing seems genuine. But keep it real, it ain't all that.
    zkyevolved and Tom Snyder like this.
    02-13-2015 03:06 PM
    No one said anything about it.
    This is what I would expect. I think people in general think about that one incident where Ballmer smashed an employee's iPhone or whatever happened.

One question though: do you have any idea what percentage of employees use something other than WP? I would think it be much higher than the market share, but how much?
    02-13-2015 03:27 PM
41 12