Next lumia flagship to include stylus?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't really see the benefit of a stylus. I thought a well designed finger OS defeats the need for a stylus. Samsung includes them with all of the Galaxy Note phones, and I see a coworker use his a lot on his new Note.

But Microsoft has been building a reputation of the active pen that is included on Surface tablets. If they build higher functionality into the pen, then I guess there could be something there.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to have a stylus on my next phone. That might be enough to convince me to get a 1530 instead of a 1030. But ideally both would have styluses.

dundonrl

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
well, here's what Qualcomm has to say about the 810 on their website..

?Microsoft and Qualcomm?s long standing collaboration has allowed the two companies to offer compelling business, imaging, and entertainment experiences with Lumia smartphones running on Windows Phone,? said Juha Kokkonen, general manager for portfolio and product management at Microsoft. ?We look forward to continuing this relationship to deliver best in class Lumia smartphones, powered by Qualcomm?s Snapdragon 810 processors, and offer an unprecedented combination of processing power, rich multimedia, high-performance graphics and wireless connectivity for our customers.?

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
By aquiring N-trig the biggest thing I'm hoping is that they do something about the handwriting to text experience. The User interface hasnt changed for over a decade and with touch screen tablets becoming mainstream and experiences becoming ever more immersive, microsoft should ditch the writepad and just integrate handwrint to anywhere on the OS. Being constrained to boxes is an unnatural pen experience. I want to be able to write anywhere on the screen, I want to write in the searchtextboxes that will automatically recognize my handwriting to text with at least a 98% accuracy, and I would like instant "inline" ink to text recognition in notetaking apps such as onenote, outlook, calender and office. I think that is the future of the stylus. Make the pen also as a cross OS input method for tablets just like the virtual keyoboard is for textfields.
The writepad (the black handwriting pad on the virtual keyboard) is over 10 years old, its too constrained to 1-2 lines of text. This technology should be in the apps, not as a hidden backdoor add-on. I think it is this experience that makes it for users to grasp the idea why we should need a stylus in the first place except for a 5 minute doodle and call it a day. The stylus can be a far more immersive experience and part of the tablet work flow.

I don't mind if the next chapter of the stylus will be a lumia device or a surface device, as long as microsoft will actually try to do more on the software user interface design that just a convergent thinking idea of handwriting and doodleing. The stylus experience can and deserves so much more on a windows tablet. Microsoft already has a good ink-to-text recognition and should put the stylus higher on the relevance agenda roadmap for windows 8 and higher.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be great, I recommended it awhile ago. But you don't need to include a pen/stylus with the phone, just use the pen that came with the Surface Pro 3. It would be a perfect companion for the SP3, or 4. For those days that you don't want to carry around a tablet, but still would like to sketch things out for someone, or do a quick hand written note in OneNote. Mainly because I could write something faster on a phone than try to type it out on the on screen keyboard (even with predictive text).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster