Do you think Microsoft has too many models for Lumia devices? (Poll)

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
First off, I absolutely DISPISE all of the carrier exclusives...especially with high end phones. I have always hated them. I remember a couple years ago I remember I brought it up here in a thread and everyone disagreed with me. Now, it seems, people are seeing more my point of view in that carrier exclusives suck ;)

While this isn't my main point of this thread, it ties in. Nokia (now Microsoft) has always had loads and loads of Lumia devices and different tiers/series, and it seems that they just pumped them out there for every individual country and even every individual carrier. It even got to the point in some cases that roughly the SAME EXACT device would be given different names and different hardware for different carriers (Lumia 920, 925, 928), and then all marketed separately. And then the Lumia Icon/930 are the same exact device for different carriers/countries. I think this is horribly redundant and even wasteful.

This also ties in with all of the different tier Lumias there are. The current lineup is a Lumia 435/532 (how confusing is that?), 535, 630, 635, 730, 735, 830, 930/Icon, 1320, and 1520. Am I the only one who thinks that's a bit too much, and even confusing...especially considering that all the low end devices are basically the same.

I also don't think it makes any sense to have multiple variations of the same exact device like the 630/635. I understand they're not exactly the same in the sense that it has to do with frequencies/network stuff, but it's the same device.

And instead of having different low end devices for all different markets, have one device across the board. Less devices to cover the exact same bases. Let me break it down to how I think it would make most sense:

Lumia 640 (replaces all low end devices up to the 635): Snapdragon 200 chipset, 1GB RAM, 8GB storage, 2000mAh battery, 480p 4.5" display, 5MP rear camera, removable matte plastic shell

Lumia 740 (replaces the 730/735): Snapdragon 415/425 chipset, 1GB RAM, 8GB storage, 2200mAh battery, 540p 4.5" display, 5MP rear camera with a front facing, removable matte plastic shell

Lumia 840 (replaces the 830): Snapdragon 618/620 chipset, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, 2600mAh battery, 720p 5" screen, 10MP rear camera with a front facing, unibody polycarbonate body

Lumia 940 (replaces the Icon/930): Snapdragon 810 chipset, 3GB RAM, 32GB storage, 3000mAh battery, 1080p 5" screen, 20MP rear camera with a front facing, unibody polycarbonate body

Lumia 1040, Lumia 1320, Lumia 1520 (you get the gist, and obviously just guidelines for specs)

I just think all of the redundancies do more harm than good. If you release say one Lumia 640 rather than a boat load of low end phones (obviously different "variants" for network connectivity, but still the same device), the recognition will be there: "Oh, that's the Lumia [insert model here]!". That also changes the perception as well. For US members in particular: you know how Android is number one but it seems like everyone has an iPhone? It's because there are a ton of different Android phones, but just a few iPhones, and they're recognizable. That's something I think that Microsoft needs to help Windows phones...for there to be a more prominent and felt presence.

Make sure these devices are available for all carriers. Like I said, there would obviously have to be network variations, but at least, in reality, it's just ONE device. There's only ONE device that is being developed. Just ONE device that's being marketed. Not several.

I did my best to make this not come across as a rant or just someone b!tching as I hope everyone can tell, and that came fairly easily since it wasn't even a rant or me b!tching ;). Definitely eager to hear what everyone else has to think!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes they have to many modelsI would change that the 8xx have removable battery just because the 8xx has removable battery . Other than that I agree with your list !

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes they have to many modelsI would change that the 8xx have removable battery just because the 8xx has removable battery . Other than that I agree with your list !

Like I said, the specs obviously aren't set in stone. I'm not developing these devices, thought I wish I could ;) hahah. It might even be interesting to see Microsoft let consumers customize certain aspects of each model (like storage, RAM, and even chipset?) when bought direct and off carrier for the lower end models (since they're usually not bought on contract anyway so buying through the carrier would be a barrier in the customization) as to fit different price points.

My main point in everything is that I think Microsoft should simplify their device range to have a smaller and more recognizable pool of phones. Less phones to cover all the bases, and I think it can be done considering that especially Nokia pretty much made a different-but-same device for every single carrier and every single market. That makes no sense. No wonder they struggled financially!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think its just too crowded in the low end, and they could probably axe a couple models since the 532, 435 kinda step on each others toes, the 530 is awkwardly forgotten now, standardizing on the 636 or 638 is probably what I think should happen instead of juggling all 4 current models.

But once it hits level 7, I think its good enough ish. (other than needing a model to replace the 1020, etc)
Merging 930 and Icon would've been nice.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Whoa, give the 640 a 400!

In my scheme, the 640 is the ultra low end device. But as I stated, I drew out the specs just to give a broad idea. And I didn't make this thread just to draw up specs for upcoming devices. I was just using that to help explain my actual point

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Would be nice if they went that route . Back to basics where it made sense.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think its just too crowded in the low end, and they could probably axe a couple models since the 532, 435 kinda step on each others toes, the 530 is awkwardly forgotten now, standardizing on the 636 or 638 is probably what I think should happen instead of juggling all 4 current models.

But once it hits level 7, I think its good enough ish. (other than needing a model to replace the 1020, etc)
Merging 930 and Icon would've been nice.

Once it hits 8xx I think it's fine because there are no redundancies, but once we get into the higher end Lumias, that's when carrier exclusives are the absolute worst. Even when there are gazillions of low end devices crowding the marketplace, at least you'll probably find one that will be on your carrier (Though I obviously think that strategy is a bad idea and simplifying is much better :)). On the high end, You were screwed if you wanted to get the Lumia 1020/1520 through Verizon or T-Mobile. And you were screwed if you wanted to get the Icon on AT&T or T-Mobile. And you're screwed if you want to get the 830 through Verizon or T-Mobile...though apparently they're coming out with SOME OTHER variant soon of the 830...:/

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Think things on the low-end are getting a little too redundant considering they all have very similar attributes, just don't think it's helping the cause and if anything, being more of a hindrance, as previously mentioned why not just have one or two of each, low, mid, high-end devices w/variants per country and work with that.

Looking back 27 months (my 1st Windows 8 phone) and seeing where we're at today, me owning three Windows phones with the latest being the 830, it feels more like a regression than progression, my phones are buggier and "official updates" are taking longer. The Denim update in my opinion is a total fiasco too and attribute it in part to the wide array of devices and variants, it keeps bouncing from device to device, country to country and around and around we go, no sense of direction at all other than we'll get it, or so they say.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Once it hits 8xx I think it's fine because there are no redundancies, but once we get into the higher end Lumias, that's when carrier exclusives are the absolute worst. Even when there are gazillions of low end devices crowding the marketplace, at least you'll probably find one that will be on your carrier (Though I obviously think that strategy is a bad idea and simplifying is much better :)). On the high end, You were screwed if you wanted to get the Lumia 1020/1520 through Verizon or T-Mobile. And you were screwed if you wanted to get the Icon on AT&T or T-Mobile. And you're screwed if you want to get the 830 through Verizon or T-Mobile...though apparently they're coming out with SOME OTHER variant soon of the 830...:/

That's a big one too, the selective market for certain devices just does not make business sense nor does it help us advance, some want choice but this really limits it.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
So I see many do not like free choice and a market demanded device but rather but rather have I know whats best for you device, you do not deserve a choice but rather let us the elites decide. Makes me sick in my gut to think people can not see the failed ideas practiced in USSR, North Korea and other nations where the elites decide what they think the serfs need.

If wanted just simplicity, no choice it would look like a iPhone. :devil:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I see many do not like free choice and a market demanded device but rather but rather have I know whats best for you device, you do not deserve a choice but rather let us the elites decide. Makes me sick in my gut to think people can not see the failed ideas practiced in USSR, North Korea and other nations where the elites decide what they think the serfs need.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not...I'm really baffled here actually lol...

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I refuse to vote on the grounds that I don't like the wording of option 2. It makes it sound like it's a terrible thing when it's not. People have different needs and have various budgets, so having many options is a good thing.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not...I'm really baffled here actually lol...

No sarcasm intended, but what gives you or anyone the right to deny any a choice of any marketed item, what next, demand only one auto maker with a black full sized sedan, black mid sized sedan, black compact sized sedan all built exactly alike and so on. We could apply to everything laptops, desktops, homes, apartments. No need for any to chose we'll decide what's best for you.

No one twisted my choice of a Nokia 920, I had many choices for a Windows phone and I hope Microsoft keeps giving many varying choices. My money goes to the features I want, that why I don't like iPhone, basically 2 new phone choices.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
There maybe a lot of Lumias out there but it put it into context, or better yet, put it on the shop counters and it'll be drowned out by the deluge of Androids. Bear in mind not every Lumia will be sold in every country... and... the cruncher.
... if you can find Lumia in the shops at all. I rather they have a killer flagship out with the budgets

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No sarcasm intended, but what gives you or anyone the right to deny any a choice of any marketed item, what next, demand only one auto maker with a black full sized sedan, black mid sized sedan, black compact sized sedan all built exactly alike and so on. We could apply to everything laptops, desktops, homes, apartments. No need for any to chose we'll decide what's best for you.

No one twisted my choice of a Nokia 920, I had many choices for a Windows phone and I hope Microsoft keeps giving many varying choices. My money goes to the features I want, that why I don't like iPhone, basically 2 new phone choices.

Um...no...

First off, you're taking this way too far here. Second of all, you're also missing my point. I'm not about limiting choices. It just doesn't make sense to have several phones that are competing in the same area, and also the fact that they're all way too specific to regions and carriers. It's about cutting down on the redundancy. That's not good for a business. You're whole spiel about communism doesn't make sense because that's apples and oranges in this context.

And in fact, I'm more about choice...pushing phones across the board and across carriers so they can be in the hands of more people. The exclusivity severely limits the market for a phone.

I feel I've explained myself well enough to perfectly address everything you're saying throughout numerous posts

If you're comparing my thoughts on how a company can become more efficient and have a more sensible business model (you know, things that succeed in a market economy, for the record) to communism, then I have no more response to that. That's ridiculous.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I'll take a stab... Choice is a great thing but an over abundance of low-end devices that will go the way of the Dodo bird in short order makes no sense, device support plays a big role too and if the delays getting them out to "all" is because there are so many devices/variants to test then where is that helping matters. Think you'd be better suited sticking with the automobile if you want choice, at least you'll be pretty certain 10 years from now it'll serve your needs just as it did on day one no matter if you bought a low-end or a high-end model, parts will still be readily available to fix it so support won't be an issue, can't say the same for phones especially with low-end devices and advancements in technology that tax the hardware.

Oh, I'm assuming you're not an Apple fan correct?

rajthampi

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I bought a 535 for my cousin. I had to really spend almost an hour between choices 635, 730 and what not?! While the offerings were almost same. I think the number games played with everyday a new model approach should be controlled, to lessen the confusions among already scarce Windows phone buyers.

Godson Arun Kumar

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes as of now, MS definitly has more lumias than needed, however I think this is just because of a clash between phone strategies of Nokia and MS. 530, 630,730 and 830 were Nokia's last phones while MS clearly has a different strategy for lumias with even the 435 getting 1 GB RAM. May be MS need to discontinue one or two of Nokia's lumias, then the line-up wouldn't look that chock-a-block.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes as of now, MS definitly has more lumias than needed, however I think this is just because of a clash between phone strategies of Nokia and MS. 530, 630,730 and 830 were Nokia's last phones while MS clearly has a different strategy for lumias with even the 435 getting 1 GB RAM. May be MS need to discontinue one or two of Nokia's lumias, then the line-up wouldn't look that chock-a-block.

It's interesting to see what Microsoft's strategy will be. I could definitely picture them not being so redundant in device production. I also hope they have the leverage to make sure that carriers are on board.

And I also think it's good for them to not produce gazillions of Lumias so that they can actually allow room for OEMs to shine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb