Why do they consistently release low end lumias?

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
We have countless low end lumias, it seems every week a new on is released. WHY? Can't we have more high end phones then? It doesn't make sense for our low end market to be flooded when there are already 10's of them. Just release multiple low end devices in all markets instead of make 8 versions of the same phone. Anyone else with me? haha.

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
If I had to guess, I'd say the same reason there are 8 McDonald's for every 1 decent steak house; the small money is easy money.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
We have countless low end lumias, it seems every week a new on is released. WHY? Can't we have more high end phones then? It doesn't make sense for our low end market to be flooded when there are already 10's of them. Just release multiple low end devices in all markets instead of make 8 versions of the same phone. Anyone else with me? haha.
Because people aren't buying the high end ones. They are actually buying the low end ones.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
These budget phones are big sellers in emerging markets. We're spoiled in the US. It's a good strategy. These devices not only introduce people to the platform, but also to all of Microsoft's services.

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
These budget phones are big sellers in emerging markets. We're spoiled in the US. It's a good strategy. These devices not only introduce people to the platform, but also to all of Microsoft's services.

In Europe we are constantly waiting for high end Lumias, so I don't think waiting so much time would be a good strategy.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Your right. It's ok to have low end devices. But what angers me is the redundant specs, no change from phones before it. Take the 520 and the 530 for instance. The 530 is actually worse due to its fixed focus camera. And for newer phone, it should meet the most important complaints, at least put a front facing camera and bump up the RAM! Come on!

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The whole litany of multi-numbered phones is ridiculous. Somebody will figure it out at some point that only 3 phones are required using the iPhone scenario.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
WP takes the middle road. You may think there are way too many budget/mid-range models but not every model is sold at your area. Hell, walk into any shopping mall in my neck of the woods and you'll really really have to look hard to find shops selling WP. So where is the confusion if we can't find any?? Then look at Android. Are we confused yet?

Last edited:

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Flood the markets (poor countries (India, South America, Africa) and poor people (everywhere) with cheap phones, get a captive audience hooked into the ecosystem and then sell them something better.

Tis called marketing.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Because it is the best way to boost their market share. As iphone doesn't have at all low end phones and most of android low end perform poorly MSFT can gain advantage to the developing markets.

Also it is a good way for someone to give a try to wp and not pay a fortune. If they are pleased they may buy a better one, otherwise they leave.

For the time at least it isn't needed to a more powerful high end wp as there aren't new features that need that power. I believe after the w10 is out we will see more. (for example my L920 is working great for a 1,7years old phone, and in stability, even camera is still competing other high end phone newer or older)

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Your right. It's ok to have low end devices. But what angers me is the redundant specs, no change from phones before it. Take the 520 and the 530 for instance. The 530 is actually worse due to its fixed focus camera. And for newer phone, it should meet the most important complaints, at least put a front facing camera and bump up the RAM! Come on!

Don't forget the screen. My friend's 530's screen is awful to look at

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
It does seem like a confusing number of low-end phones. I am actually a big fan of "good enough" phones, but how many different models do we need with only slightly different specs? It would be great too if the numbering scheme actually meant something. For example, what if the 400s meant phones in the 4-5 inch range, the 500s were in the 5-6 inch range, and the 600s were the biggies? Something like that. The current numbering scheme appears to mean nothing.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
It does seem like a confusing number of low-end phones. I am actually a big fan of "good enough" phones, but how many different models do we need with only slightly different specs? It would be great too if the numbering scheme actually meant something. For example, what if the 400s meant phones in the 4-5 inch range, the 500s were in the 5-6 inch range, and the 600s were the biggies? Something like that. The current numbering scheme appears to mean nothing.
Isn't that what the scheme does now? The higher you go in the series' numbers, the higher specs you get.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that what the scheme does now? The higher you go in the series' numbers, the higher specs you get.

Not really. Compare the specs on the 535 and the 635. Or how about the 638 and the 535? Or the 530 and the 520. Etc.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I do not see this as a bad thing, the low end lumia's have reasonable hardware up to par with some mid range lumia's from sometime ago. It is certainly easy to buy a reasonable priced windows phone and be impressed first hand that to buy a reasonably priced android that cannot even handle its own software.

Ben Bristow

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I think that the Windows Phone platform is best suited to low/mid-end devices.

If you have the high-end specs, you're only limiting your phone with apps etc, if you go the WP route over the Android route. Android performs great on high-end/flagship devices, however it sucks badly on lower-end and isn't so great on mid-end devices either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrysmith