02-26-2015 06:46 PM
29 12
tools
    We have countless low end lumias, it seems every week a new on is released. WHY? Can't we have more high end phones then? It doesn't make sense for our low end market to be flooded when there are already 10's of them. Just release multiple low end devices in all markets instead of make 8 versions of the same phone. Anyone else with me? haha.
    iRS73 likes this.
    02-20-2015 06:32 PM
    If I had to guess, I'd say the same reason there are 8 McDonald's for every 1 decent steak house; the small money is easy money.
    Guytronic, colinkiama and aximtreo like this.
    02-20-2015 07:14 PM
    We have countless low end lumias, it seems every week a new on is released. WHY? Can't we have more high end phones then? It doesn't make sense for our low end market to be flooded when there are already 10's of them. Just release multiple low end devices in all markets instead of make 8 versions of the same phone. Anyone else with me? haha.
    Because people aren't buying the high end ones. They are actually buying the low end ones.
    02-20-2015 07:27 PM
    These budget phones are big sellers in emerging markets. We're spoiled in the US. It's a good strategy. These devices not only introduce people to the platform, but also to all of Microsoft's services.
    Guytronic, colinkiama and Schnuffi like this.
    02-20-2015 07:56 PM
    But my questions is why so many different ones. They are essentially all the same. Just released under different names every other week...
    Dk92 likes this.
    02-21-2015 05:27 PM
    These budget phones are big sellers in emerging markets. We're spoiled in the US. It's a good strategy. These devices not only introduce people to the platform, but also to all of Microsoft's services.

In Europe we are constantly waiting for high end Lumias, so I don't think waiting so much time would be a good strategy.
    02-21-2015 06:50 PM
    Your right. It's ok to have low end devices. But what angers me is the redundant specs, no change from phones before it. Take the 520 and the 530 for instance. The 530 is actually worse due to its fixed focus camera. And for newer phone, it should meet the most important complaints, at least put a front facing camera and bump up the RAM! Come on!
    Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    02-21-2015 07:00 PM
    The whole litany of multi-numbered phones is ridiculous. Somebody will figure it out at some point that only 3 phones are required using the iPhone scenario.
    aximtreo, Guytronic and eds817 like this.
    02-21-2015 07:48 PM
    WP takes the middle road. You may think there are way too many budget/mid-range models but not every model is sold at your area. Hell, walk into any shopping mall in my neck of the woods and you'll really really have to look hard to find shops selling WP. So where is the confusion if we can't find any?? Then look at Android. Are we confused yet?
    Last edited by raycpl; 02-24-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    02-21-2015 08:41 PM
    Because they can.
    02-21-2015 10:22 PM
    In Europe we are constantly waiting for high end Lumias, so I don't think waiting so much time would be a good strategy.
    Yeah, I don't know if I'd consider Europe an "Emerging market". So yes, you guys should be able to get some flagship models there.
    02-22-2015 04:26 AM
    Flood the markets (poor countries (India, South America, Africa) and poor people (everywhere) with cheap phones, get a captive audience hooked into the ecosystem and then sell them something better.

Tis called marketing.
    luisfarelo likes this.
    02-22-2015 04:30 AM
    Because it is the best way to boost their market share. As iphone doesn't have at all low end phones and most of android low end perform poorly MSFT can gain advantage to the developing markets.

Also it is a good way for someone to give a try to wp and not pay a fortune. If they are pleased they may buy a better one, otherwise they leave.

For the time at least it isn't needed to a more powerful high end wp as there aren't new features that need that power. I believe after the w10 is out we will see more. (for example my L920 is working great for a 1,7years old phone, and in stability, even camera is still competing other high end phone newer or older)
    stevemind and arjan wolthuis like this.
    02-22-2015 05:17 AM
    Your right. It's ok to have low end devices. But what angers me is the redundant specs, no change from phones before it. Take the 520 and the 530 for instance. The 530 is actually worse due to its fixed focus camera. And for newer phone, it should meet the most important complaints, at least put a front facing camera and bump up the RAM! Come on!
    Don't forget the screen. My friend's 530's screen is awful to look at
    ML10 likes this.
    02-22-2015 06:08 AM
    It does seem like a confusing number of low-end phones. I am actually a big fan of "good enough" phones, but how many different models do we need with only slightly different specs? It would be great too if the numbering scheme actually meant something. For example, what if the 400s meant phones in the 4-5 inch range, the 500s were in the 5-6 inch range, and the 600s were the biggies? Something like that. The current numbering scheme appears to mean nothing.
    Cody Patterson likes this.
    02-22-2015 01:59 PM
    It does seem like a confusing number of low-end phones. I am actually a big fan of "good enough" phones, but how many different models do we need with only slightly different specs? It would be great too if the numbering scheme actually meant something. For example, what if the 400s meant phones in the 4-5 inch range, the 500s were in the 5-6 inch range, and the 600s were the biggies? Something like that. The current numbering scheme appears to mean nothing.
    Isn't that what the scheme does now? The higher you go in the series' numbers, the higher specs you get.
    02-22-2015 02:45 PM
    Let them atleast release a mid range Microsoft phone with decent specs.
    02-22-2015 05:16 PM
    Isn't that what the scheme does now? The higher you go in the series' numbers, the higher specs you get.
    Not really. Compare the specs on the 535 and the 635. Or how about the 638 and the 535? Or the 530 and the 520. Etc.
    02-22-2015 06:50 PM
    I do not see this as a bad thing, the low end lumia's have reasonable hardware up to par with some mid range lumia's from sometime ago. It is certainly easy to buy a reasonable priced windows phone and be impressed first hand that to buy a reasonably priced android that cannot even handle its own software.
    02-22-2015 07:48 PM
    I think that the Windows Phone platform is best suited to low/mid-end devices.

If you have the high-end specs, you're only limiting your phone with apps etc, if you go the WP route over the Android route. Android performs great on high-end/flagship devices, however it sucks badly on lower-end and isn't so great on mid-end devices either.
    LockOnTech likes this.
    02-23-2015 07:27 AM
    They do this simply to gain fast market share
    02-23-2015 07:38 AM
    MS can't target the high-end as that's where the iPhone sits, and you won't get too many of them to switch.

Android got popular quickly by targeting the rest of the market. MS are also looking at the "next billion" phone users; those are from poorer regions of Asia and Africa specifically. Sadly to bring the price down, you need volumes, by flooding the market MS are getting a volume out there, which in turn will reduce the handset cost price, thus making a low-end Windows Phone as cheap as a dumb phone, so you can then get rid of all those standard mobile phones and replace them with a Windows Phone, which MS can try to sell apps (that's why MS are also getting more carrier billing options available).

I do see MS's strategy, however, it only works if you also have more mid-range and a few high-end phones to appease the folks who want to upgrade to the next level.

G.
    02-23-2015 12:23 PM
    I think that the Windows Phone platform is best suited to low/mid-end devices.

If you have the high-end specs, you're only limiting your phone with apps etc, if you go the WP route over the Android route. Android performs great on high-end/flagship devices, however it sucks badly on lower-end and isn't so great on mid-end devices either.
    With higher end specs, if microsoft released major upgrades in operating systems then those devices might be futureproof; you would not have to worry about software limitations due to inadequate hardware performance.

UPDATE: But also at the same time window phone anything, with the inclusion of windows 10 for phone would run okay on lower... Reasonable spec'd devices. No worries there.
    Last edited by LockOnTech; 02-23-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Had to make a small adjustment with explination
    02-23-2015 01:49 PM
    Then why is the flag ship phone not at the top of the number scheme? (Icon/930)
    02-24-2015 05:05 PM
    Cause they sell better
    02-24-2015 05:07 PM
29 12