Whats the Microsoft Solution for TAP+PAY?

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Apple - created the Apple Pay with a very good marketing.
Google - Google Wallet not good marketing at the launch but today the acquires SoftCard.
Microsoft - The announced it a long time ago but we never seen it working. SoftCard made app not available everywhere and now with Google purchase we will have less support.
Samsung - Bought the best of all 3. LoopPay this system can work in the current hardware available @ the stores.

Anybody have an idea if Microsoft is going to counter attack with something?

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry to much about it, with this kind of fragmentation there will be little support from companies, until they get a standard we won't see much adoption, I thought softcard or looppay could do it but apple just added further fragmentation to the market. Also more lowend phones start coming with NFC.

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
IDK but it sucks because I use softpay quite often and the simple fact is we may not lose soft pay but we sure wont get any updates just like Waze...well its a bummer. MS has to do something. They are ALWAYS late to the party but they always join it sooner or later.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Bummed about Softcard going to Google, which means no Windows Phone support. Not a deal breaker, since using a standard credit card is generally convenient. But it is a headline grabber, so yes, Microsoft needs its own compatible tap+pay brand keep pace (obviously needs to be compatible with whatever system eventually wins).

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I wished Microsoft had purchased LoopPay. All old existing reader hardware would work with it. :(

In my opinion, LoopPay has a very limited shelf life. Magnetic readers are going to start to be phased out in the US over the next few years in favor of Chip+PIN / EMV.

Liability will be shifting to the retailers starting in October, which means that it'll be highly incentivized to get rid of the less-secure magnetic reader standard.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
At this point, they have nothing. They relied on third party and they shouldn't have. They should have just made their own Google Wallet, but they didn't.

Unfortunately, the carriers wouldn't let them. It's a lot easier to push back carriers when you're Apple or Google (though it should be noted that even Google had some difficulty there). When you've got 3% market share and you need carriers to let your devices onto their networks (and maybe more importantly, subsidize your devices), you don't have much clout.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the carriers wouldn't let them.
yep, they already had a Wallet solution when WP 8 was introduced, but decoupled the Wallet and NFC in 8.1 because the carriers demanded it for ISIS/Softcard, who wanted an app solution they could control. Now here we are.

I guess I can stop yelling at T-Mobile now for dragging their feet to release the Softcard app for WP. :cry:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Google has misstepped and failed to some extent with every new venture they have attempted recently. This is just a desperate attempt to rectify a failed investment in Google Wallet. With the vision and management Google has shown over the last couple of years, this will not make it either. The carriers were selling off SoftCard because they couldn't make it work, because retailers and banks found it too cumbersome and refused to support it. Do you really think Google buying up a bad idea that was doomed from the start is going to hurt Microsoft? It is best if Microsoft is working secretly on something that will work and just not share what they are doing until it is ready. Something compatible with the CHIP+PIN/EMV would be best. The reason I say work on it secretly is to prevent someone else from stealing it and using it against them.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Google has misstepped and failed to some extent with every new venture they have attempted recently. This is just a desperate attempt to rectify a failed investment in Google Wallet. With the vision and management Google has shown over the last couple of years, this will not make it either. The carriers were selling off SoftCard because they couldn't make it work, because retailers and banks found it too cumbersome and refused to support it. Do you really think Google buying up a bad idea that was doomed from the start is going to hurt Microsoft? It is best if Microsoft is working secretly on something that will work and just not share what they are doing until it is ready. Something compatible with the CHIP+PIN/EMV would be best. The reason I say work on it secretly is to prevent someone else from stealing it and using it against them.

They are taking too long to release it. I'm felling jealous about Apple Pay . I fell like I wanna a iPhone when I see some of my friends using it.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
They are taking too long to release it. I'm felling jealous about Apple Pay . I fell like I wanna a iPhone when I see some of my friends using it.

Yeah, it's like saying to the world,
"Hey, I've not only got a lot of money to spare because I can afford an iPhone, but I also keep all my money in my iPhone. Steal it if you can!"

Yep, that's the kind of message I like to send.

Though I feel that Microsoft should get a TAP+PAY solution in order to stay relevant in the long run, I feel that it will come in time enough. Personally, I won't be using it.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
FQA/soft card.
What about Softcard for Windows?

The Softcard for Windows Phone app will also be terminated. A specific termination date will be provided soon.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All the people who say "just use cash" are being silly if they're serious. That's like people saying "just use the browser" and ignoring the app situation. Don't downgrade this.

Microsoft needs to create their own I believe, and there's still time. Softcard is terrible. There's virtually no support. Can't speak for the rest, but I imagine it's the same since it's not widely adopted yet. Apple Pay is the only one that has a lot of banks and credit cards on board. There's time, but they need to act fast while we are in the early stages.

Instead of people dismissing it, maybe we should embrace the future. NFC payments is the clear future for a lot of reasons. Right now, Microsoft is left out. They legitimately need a solution. While there's still time, they need to get started and try to catch up to Apple Pay. Don't be the one who's way too late to the game once NFC payments is popularized and well underway.
Sent from Tapatalk on my Lumia Icon

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is no tap and pay solution for windows phone, and I doubt there ever will be. look at the stats. THE PREDOMINANT WINDOWS PHONES(5 series, 6 series) HAVE NO NFC READER. These phones have the markets share of windows phone. furthermore, msft doesn't seem concerned about pushing phones that have this capability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99