Whats the Microsoft Solution for TAP+PAY?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
FQA/soft card.
What about Softcard for Windows?

The Softcard for Windows Phone app will also be terminated. A specific termination date will be provided soon.

Really ? First BOA and we finally get a Tap+Pay option and they are going to pull it because it's Windows Phone ?

I might to starting to shop for a new phone, will keep my ICON but, will swap back and forth...No marketshare does this...

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The soft card tap and pay works great. but only three places use it , McDonald's , subway, Walgreens which make this card useless.
now it's going to drop windows phone support. what a joke!
I have sign contracts with Verizon and soft card AMX serve, and I don't feel Google has a right to interfere with my contracts.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well Microsoft really doesn't need softcard at all, tap+pay (microsoft's implementation) works fine with secure sims outside the US as that is all that is required. So there is no reason why it wouldn't work in the US for the interim period. The only problem you have really is carrier support and that just lets it down completely in my opinion.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well Microsoft really doesn't need softcard at all, tap+pay (microsoft's implementation) works fine with secure sims outside the US as that is all that is required. So there is no reason why it wouldn't work in the US for the interim period. The only problem you have really is carrier support and that just lets it down completely in my opinion.

Yet how many carriers have those Secure SIMs after all this time? One, yes that's right, one!!!!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I have an EE secure sim and a Denim 930 but there seems to be no way to tell the Windows Phone wallet to use my Visa card details for tap and pay. In fact the wallet seems totally unaware that I have turned NFC & Tap and Pay on. How do I make this work? EE make a special app for Android but I was given to believe such is not required for WP as tap and pay is baked in. MS's implementation seems needlessly complicated though. Why not make it simple? The way MS have set up this supposedly super simple payment method has totally removed the main benefit. Cash is still way simpler to use. This needn't have been an issue.

Please, if someone can give me a step by step guide to getting tap and pay to work on my 930 I will be really grateful. Really, there could be cake.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I have an EE secure sim and a Denim 930 but there seems to be no way to tell the Windows Phone wallet to use my Visa card details for tap and pay. In fact the wallet seems totally unaware that I have turned NFC & Tap and Pay on. How do I make this work? EE make a special app for Android but I was given to believe such is not required for WP as tap and pay is baked in. MS's implementation seems needlessly complicated though. Why not make it simple? The way MS have set up this supposedly super simple payment method has totally removed the main benefit. Cash is still way simpler to use. This needn't have been an issue.

Please, if someone can give me a step by step guide to getting tap and pay to work on my 930 I will be really grateful. Really, there could be cake.

With Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft removed this built-in support, because carriers weren't going along with it. They removed it in favor of an app-based method, as typified by the soon-to-be discontinued Softcard. I'm hoping at this point the carriers will just give up trying to control it and let Microsoft use their own solution, but I doubt that.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried logging into your EE account and adding your visa card as an active payment card, which should then download an encrypted key thus enabling tap to pay. That is my understanding how the system is supposed to work on 8.1.

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Have you tried logging into your EE account and adding your visa card as an active payment card, which should then download an encrypted key thus enabling tap to pay. That is my understanding how the system is supposed to work on 8.1.

It's not. First of all, Orange France was the only carrier (in the world, so far as I know) to ever partner with Microsoft directly for tap-to-pay directly from the Wallet app, and that functionality was only there in Windows Phone 8.0. Secondly, as I already said, Windows Phone 8.1 removed NFC payment functionality from the Wallet app in favor of an app-based experience. So pretty much everyone is now out of luck unless Microsoft has their own brand-new solution to unveil.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's like saying to the world,
"Hey, I've not only got a lot of money to spare because I can afford an iPhone, but I also keep all my money in my iPhone. Steal it if you can!"

Yep, that's the kind of message I like to send.

Though I feel that Microsoft should get a TAP+PAY solution in order to stay relevant in the long run, I feel that it will come in time enough. Personally, I won't be using it.

​Have fun trying to steal it when you need the fingerprint to use Apple Pay.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not. First of all, Orange France was the only carrier (in the world, so far as I know) to ever partner with Microsoft directly for tap-to-pay directly from the Wallet app, and that functionality was only there in Windows Phone 8.0. Secondly, as I already said, Windows Phone 8.1 removed NFC payment functionality from the Wallet app in favor of an app-based experience. So pretty much everyone is now out of luck unless Microsoft has their own brand-new solution to unveil.

If that was the case then Joe Belfiore would have stated that explicitly at the launch, whereas he only stated that only a secure sim was needed whereas in the US both the secure sim and softcard (by their former name) was needed.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
If that was the case then Joe Belfiore would have stated that explicitly at the launch, whereas he only stated that only a secure sim was needed whereas in the US both the secure sim and softcard (by their former name) was needed.

​They did explicitly state at launch that it was entirely dependent on carriers. Anyway, regardless of how they announced it, those are the facts. Feel free to pretend they're not, but that's the truth. Windows Phone 8.0 Wallet NFC payments only ever worked with Orange France, no matter if you have a secure SIM or not. (The secure SIM doesn't do anything without a payment path).

Windows Phone 8.1 doesn't have NFC payment support in the wallet app at all: "Note: NFC functionality has been decoupled so that apps can now support NFC payments inside their own experiences. It will not be covered in this talk." http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-533

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Carriers have no business interfering with how people pay for goods and services, this should have been a joint effort with banks and retailers, not carriers. As apple have just proven. The insanity of cellphone carriers ruling everything in the US has to stop.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Carriers have no business interfering with how people pay for goods and services, this should have been a joint effort with banks and retailers, not carriers. As apple have just proven. The insanity of cellphone carriers ruling everything in the US has to stop.

I agree, but if carriers (in the US) don't agree to subsidize Microsoft's phones, then Windows Phone really is dead. So if the carriers want something, Microsoft unfortunately has to go with it. At less than 3% market share worldwide, you can't single-handedly force an Apple Pay-like solution without carrier cooperation.

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Really ? First BOA and we finally get a Tap+Pay option and they are going to pull it because it's Windows Phone ?

I might to starting to shop for a new phone, will keep my ICON but, will swap back and forth...No marketshare does this...

Well said...its starting to suck on WP and MS seems to have no leadership in planning for these types of issues. What a shame, as the platform is the best, but most may never know how good it is, as we will all probably leave eventually(all 2.7% of us). Tweet ur concerns to @LumiaUS and ask for what MS' solution is

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What is Tap to pay, and how do I use it?

Tap to pay is a feature for Windows Phone that allows you to set up a credit or debit card, then tap your phone to an NFC (near field communication) reader to make wireless transactions. Not all phones support NFC, and even fewer support making NFC transactions. Here's what you'll need to use this feature:
• A phone with a built-in NFC chip – Many Windows Phones have one. To find out if your phone does, go to the App list and tap Settings Settings icon. If you see NFC in the Settings list, then your phone has a chip inside it.
•A mobile operator that supports NFC transactions – At the moment, only a small number of mobile operators offer phones that support this feature. However, we're working hard to get additional mobile operators on board, and we expect the number of Windows Phones that support NFC transactions to grow.
• A payment SIM card in your phone – This is a special, secure SIM card that you can only get from your mobile operator. If your phone supports multiple SIM cards, the payment SIM must be in SIM slot 1
Wallet FAQ for Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Whatever agreement the carriers made with Microsoft to make them abandon the native wallet support better be null and void by this deal. They sold out to a competitor that they knew would screw Microsoft over and if they don't allow a solution then I don't see how that isn't grounds for an antitrust lawsuit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo