BGR: Windows Phone has no shot at ever being relevant ! ? ! ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure spoken by a iSheep or Android ****** but, there are some facts on there...

Windows Phone has no shot at ever being relevant | BGR

A quote...
We hardly knew ye, Windows Phone. And I mean that literally almost none of us knew Windows Phone: The latest smartphone numbers from IDC are out and they show that Windows Phone has continued to lose market share over the past year even though it never had a strong market share to begin with. Overall, IDC found that Windows Phone?s total shipments ?had the smallest year-over-year increase among the leading operating systems growing just 4.2%, well below the overall market.? The platform?s overall market share declined from an already tiny 3.3% in 2013 to an even more dismal 2.7% in 2014.

Down again, showing big companies pulling their apps and why a lot of other apps we never see, or chances are WILL never see.

Anyone else see this ? WTF ?

luisfarelo

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
BGR also known as Apple land. Don't worry, WP is increasing in the UK and some important countries. USA may be lost I'm afraid.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've said it before. Even 2.7% of billions is a hell of a lot of phones.

Sure but, when it comes down to global scale, it really is not that much. With the time Windows Phone has been out, if it was like at 10%, I would say it's gotten good progress but, with 2.7% ?

If we want Smartwatches, Apps, devices made for Windows Phone, then this DOES matter. So Microsoft is whoring out low end models to try to push this number up (this would be their main goal here) and after a year or 2 of doing that, the % has gone down? That tells me MS is doing something wrong here.

Maybe I am looking at it this the wrong way but, anyway about it when WP is this low to begin with and the number just goes down. It's not good for ANY WP owners for the long term.

I'm already getting close the fence with WP, don't get me wrong I love WP but, losing apps that I need and the availability of devices like smarwatches an other tech, this only makes things worse for me.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
BGR also known as Apple land. Don't worry, WP is increasing in the UK and some important countries. USA may be lost I'm afraid.

The UK will help the US.

Apps have to be present in the UK to support that market which will help with their availability in the US.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, BGR is 90% apple fans, 9% android and 1% everything else...... While Windows Phone has only a tiny portion of the market, remember 2 things:
1: it's still supported by one of the largest tech companies worldwide, and
2: still more market share than blackberry :)

The biggest issue, in the US at least, seems to be carrier support, both at store level and corporate levels. store reps rather push a samsung or iphone and corporate does very little to even show they have a windows phone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Bias, "isheep" or not, the latest marketshare numbers back up the general thrust of the article. After 4+ years WP is declining instead of growing, claiming its a "fan boy" article is delusional and wont change that and the real world effect of continued poor developer support and app availability. And if Microsoft doesn't stop sitting on their hands the platform will be toast.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a big deal. I am a long time WP user and I'm set to jump to iPhone. There isn't anything compelling me to stay with the platform anymore.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I seem to recall from my history books that there was once a ship that "God himself could not sink this ship". The only thing more laughable about this article is the sure-fire reactions from the gloom and doom society. This guy knows no more about the past, present or future of mobile tech than the man on the moon.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I saw the article, you can't possibly take that site as serious. I post over there on occasion, the owner is a bitter former blackberry fan who loves his iPhone (he called the original Note a joke and said "phablets" were stupid, yet had written that he has bought and returned the iPhone 6+ 10 times already), and turned off the comments once because he was roasted in an article, and most of the articles are copied and pasted from other websites. The comment section is the only reason that that site is still around, they only post click bait.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: " Windows phone has no shot at being relevant"

I guess it all boils down to, is it relevant to me. And I would have to say yes it is. I can understand it not being relevant to young people, they have to have what all their friends are using, all the cool new app's and the WOW factor of , Hey look I have the new...... But for a good easy to use phone you can't beat a windows phone, and it does keep getting better. They have been saying for years that it was doomed, and yet it is still here. And I understand why Microsoft is building all those Android and Apple compatible App's, How better to get Apple and Android users familiar with Microsoft products, just one step closer to getting them to buy a Surface or Windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99