BGR: Windows Phone has no shot at ever being relevant ! ? ! ?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had Windows Phones, and before that, handheld devices ever since my Compaq WinCE 5.0 Pocket PC more years ago than I can remember. There've been lots of changes (anyone else remember the Motorola MPx200?) and I've used and enjoyed all of them. So unless the platform truly disappears like my old Palm or Handspring PDAs, I'll be sticking with it.

But, that said, given the numbers and history, BGR's proposition is hard to argue against. Of course they rabidly want to see it happen, and are preemptively cheering it on hoping to get anyone from trying or even looking at a Windows 10 device. Hopefully are also discounting the potential effect of universal programs.

Still, the odds and numbers are with them.

Last edited:

cybergrimes

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The biggest issue, in the US at least, seems to be carrier support, both at store level and corporate levels. store reps rather push a samsung or iphone and corporate does very little to even show they have a windows phone.

I think this is the biggest issue that most people on phone websites overlook-- I have 2 very conservative in-laws who like to complain about anything not going well for America. A couple year ago my MIL was on the market for a new Android device, I pointed out that the Moto X was being assembled in Texas, that they had a plant of some ~2000 employees. Long story short she's been carrying a Galaxy something for the past couple of years and I know it's because my father-in-law was advised on "the best" device by the Verizon store employee. Never mind the Moto X is a great phone with a good user experience, I guess salesmen > values. Also a big factor is "what's popular", no idea how Microsoft can battle that one. It's a chicken/egg thing I guess.

Anyone remember the decent store push the 900 got when it came out? They had lots of in-store advertisement at AT&T but the sales people had never used Windows Phone so they had absolutely no ability to sell it. So even though the carrier was on board it was a bust.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
WP losing market share is only half the story. Sales are increasing. In fact, Microsoft sold more Lumias last quarter than they ever have. Unfortunately, smartphone market growth is outpacing Windows Phone market growth.

In other words, the number of WP users is going up but the total number of smartphone users is going up much faster.

Windows Phone is expanding when really Microsoft needs it to explode.

Regardless, whether you consider BGR an Apple/Android safe haven or not, IMO, BGR is just poor journalism. That's why I quit that site years ago.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lets not ignore Nokia/Microsoft hasn't released a flagship in the states since February 2014. Sure, that tier isn't there money maker, but that is painful for a platform starving for growth.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Lets not ignore Nokia/Microsoft hasn't released a flagship in the states since February 2014. Sure, that tier isn't there money maker, but that is painful for a platform starving for growth.

There are many 920/1020 in the USA waiting for something better on the WP platform, since Nokia sold out to Microsoft the flagship WP in the USA came to a screeching halt. I'm waiting but I do not think Microsoft is going to turn out anything that will really impress 920/1020 owners to buy. Then we have the stinking carriers to deal with which is another punch in the gut. Come on Microsoft surprise and dazzle us with something impressive.

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious since phablets/tablets seem to be getting more popular that phones will altogether be pass?? Things move quickly, and Nokia/microsoft have been behind the ball since day one, however Microsoft has incentive to move forward in the consumer mobile market just not sure how with phones.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There are many 920/1020 in the USA waiting for something better on the WP platform, since Nokia sold out to Microsoft the flagship WP in the USA came to a screeching halt. I'm waiting but I do not think Microsoft is going to turn out anything that will really impress 920/1020 owners to buy. Then we have the stinking carriers to deal with which is another punch in the gut. Come on Microsoft surprise and dazzle us with something impressive.
I'm in this boat. Had my 920 since day 1, but I'm not willing to pick up a new Windows Phone until W10 is released and I see a device that truly impresses me. The 830 is a fine phone, but I want specs that rival or beat the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5. Microsoft needs to announce its next flagship soon and it needs to be a home run.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't help but think WP could be in a better place if Microsoft went right from WM6.5 to Windows 10 and not redone the OS/kernel 2 times, in between. How did they not have that foresight...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I honestly believe that us WP owners like WP more than Microsoft. They constantly drop the ball; no flagship phone in a year, one flagship phablet on only one carrier? Only Microsoft does that. They release software for the competition and ignore their own platform. And we keep supporting them....
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The way MSFT is going now .. Windows phone will be dead within 3 years

All depends on Windows 10. It's their last chance in the USA to be relevant, IMO. As much as I love my WP and really don't like Android, with all my necessary MS Office apps now available on other platforms, I may eventually have to look seriously at something other than a WP if MS can't correct things.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
And if Microsoft doesn't stop sitting on their hands the platform will be toast.

Microsoft has been far from sitting on their hands this last year. Windows 10 ring a bell?
And as far as Windows Phone not being relevant, if it wasn't relevant, it would not even be mentioned anywhere. Yet, there are numerous articles by iOS and Android fanboys recently pointing to the inevitable doom of the platform. They are working very hard to deflect and minimize all the intensely positive news in the press about Microsoft and the upcoming Windows 10, which, will also be for phones. That's the part that has them scared. When people are looking forward to a release of an OS that is going on a phone as well as a desktop, it has got to scare the britches off the poor ignorant so-and-so at BGR. If they don't do something to deflect all the popularity building and get the animosity talk going again, then WP will be the single most dangerous thing to happen to both iOS and Android. It's the trash talk and bad feelings toward Microsoft that has kept WP from getting marketshare and getting the apps, and if Satya Nadella succeeds in getting people to love Microsoft again, it will spell the eventual doom of their competitors.

Is it true that WP has lost "market share" while gaining sales? Yes. However, it's the long term that Microsoft has set up for this last year. They stockpiled their cash so that they could ride this out and make Windows 10 the greatest thing ever. They aren't stupid. This has been a plan for the last few years, but one they have had to be patient to implement.

Right now, Microsoft has the top email and calendar apps on both Android and iOS. They are now getting people used to what they could have on a Windows 10 phone. They also have the best productivity apps with MS Office 365, which people will be able to get free on Windows 10 for phones, instead of getting crippled functionality free and having to pay for advanced features. Windows 10 phone users will get it all free.

As Windows 10 becomes dominate in people's workplace, and people get more accustomed to using and even loving Microsoft services, they will naturally start feeling better about Microsoft in general and the phone share will begin an uptick.

This will take time, yes. That's okay. The platform will not die, and it will take off one day as all this comes to fruition. This is why Microsoft stockpiled so much money. So they could afford to give away Windows 10 instead of making people pay upgrades. This will get people to the platform that Microsoft needs them to be on. One day, as Microsoft says, people will no longer ask "What version of Windows do you run?" because that will become irrelevant.

Windows Phone is far from irrelevant. Otherwise, there would be no talk of it out there. When iOS fansite dedicates an article to it, even if just to trash it, it just proves that it is indeed relevant after all. Otherwise, why bother talking about it if it doesn't matter?

teamkillYAY

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
For what its worth, I just switched from a iPhone 5s to a Lumia 635, mainly because I didn't want to pay to buy a new iPhone since I broke my 5s. The Tmobile I went to recommended the windows phone due to price and they said windows phones get better signal then iPhones. It was difficult at first trying to customize everything, but now I like it alot better then my iPhone. I was able to find working apps for 29 of 30.

I will stay with WP and upgrade to a better flagship when I can. I have also exposed a few others to WP that may switch. If it wasn't for a low tier WP for me to try, I would have passed.

I think MS knows what they are doing

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Right now, Microsoft has the top email and calendar apps on both Android and iOS. They are now getting people used to what they could have on a Windows 10 phone.
​The problem is that while MS are buying/rebadging/updating apps on other platforms, they've done nothing for their own platform. Enticing other platform users with nice shiny app experiences that are way ahead of what they've got on their own platform could backfire. Android users are going to be disappointed if they switch to Windows Phone and expect Outlook etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos