03-01-2015 07:53 AM
80 123 ...
tools
    I'm sure spoken by a iSheep or Android fanboi but, there are some facts on there...

Windows Phone has no shot at ever being relevant | BGR

A quote...
    We hardly knew ye, Windows Phone. And I mean that literally almost none of us knew Windows Phone: The latest smartphone numbers from IDC are out and they show that Windows Phone has continued to lose market share over the past year even though it never had a strong market share to begin with. Overall, IDC found that Windows Phones total shipments had the smallest year-over-year increase among the leading operating systems growing just 4.2%, well below the overall market. The platforms overall market share declined from an already tiny 3.3% in 2013 to an even more dismal 2.7% in 2014.

Down again, showing big companies pulling their apps and why a lot of other apps we never see, or chances are WILL never see.

Anyone else see this ? WTF ?
    02-25-2015 10:06 AM
    BGR also known as Apple land. Don't worry, WP is increasing in the UK and some important countries. USA may be lost I'm afraid.
    Andrew Gordon and arjunan like this.
    02-25-2015 10:30 AM
    BGR, still cannot be taken seriously.
    02-25-2015 10:34 AM
    I've said it before. Even 2.7% of billions is a hell of a lot of phones.
    ML10, peacock93, jmshub and 1 others like this.
    02-25-2015 10:36 AM
    I've said it before. Even 2.7% of billions is a hell of a lot of phones.
    Sure but, when it comes down to global scale, it really is not that much. With the time Windows Phone has been out, if it was like at 10%, I would say it's gotten good progress but, with 2.7% ?

If we want Smartwatches, Apps, devices made for Windows Phone, then this DOES matter. So Microsoft is whoring out low end models to try to push this number up (this would be their main goal here) and after a year or 2 of doing that, the % has gone down? That tells me MS is doing something wrong here.

Maybe I am looking at it this the wrong way but, anyway about it when WP is this low to begin with and the number just goes down. It's not good for ANY WP owners for the long term.

I'm already getting close the fence with WP, don't get me wrong I love WP but, losing apps that I need and the availability of devices like smarwatches an other tech, this only makes things worse for me.
    02-25-2015 10:48 AM
    BGR also known as Apple land. Don't worry, WP is increasing in the UK and some important countries. USA may be lost I'm afraid.
    The UK will help the US.

Apps have to be present in the UK to support that market which will help with their availability in the US.
    luisfarelo and wpn00b like this.
    02-25-2015 10:53 AM
    Move along please, nothing to see here.
    02-25-2015 10:59 AM
    Yeah, BGR is 90% apple fans, 9% android and 1% everything else...... While Windows Phone has only a tiny portion of the market, remember 2 things:
    1: it's still supported by one of the largest tech companies worldwide, and
    2: still more market share than blackberry :)

The biggest issue, in the US at least, seems to be carrier support, both at store level and corporate levels. store reps rather push a samsung or iphone and corporate does very little to even show they have a windows phone.
    Blu3V3nom07 and arjunan like this.
    02-25-2015 11:10 AM
    Bias, "isheep" or not, the latest marketshare numbers back up the general thrust of the article. After 4+ years WP is declining instead of growing, claiming its a "fan boy" article is delusional and wont change that and the real world effect of continued poor developer support and app availability. And if Microsoft doesn't stop sitting on their hands the platform will be toast.
    02-25-2015 11:16 AM
    I think this is a big deal. I am a long time WP user and I'm set to jump to iPhone. There isn't anything compelling me to stay with the platform anymore.
    02-25-2015 11:17 AM
    Move along please, nothing to see here.
    True, BGR's attempt at spreading misleading information... Again.
    02-25-2015 11:24 AM
    I seem to recall from my history books that there was once a ship that "God himself could not sink this ship". The only thing more laughable about this article is the sure-fire reactions from the gloom and doom society. This guy knows no more about the past, present or future of mobile tech than the man on the moon.
    02-25-2015 11:29 AM
    I saw the article, you can't possibly take that site as serious. I post over there on occasion, the owner is a bitter former blackberry fan who loves his iPhone (he called the original Note a joke and said "phablets" were stupid, yet had written that he has bought and returned the iPhone 6+ 10 times already), and turned off the comments once because he was roasted in an article, and most of the articles are copied and pasted from other websites. The comment section is the only reason that that site is still around, they only post click bait.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    vinscg, rhapdog, arjunan and 4 others like this.
    02-25-2015 11:33 AM
    An article I just ran into regarding competing platforms.. Here is the link.

Windows Phone has no shot at ever being relevant | BGR
    simonas ksivickas likes this.
    02-25-2015 11:49 AM
    02-25-2015 11:52 AM
    I guess it all boils down to, is it relevant to me. And I would have to say yes it is. I can understand it not being relevant to young people, they have to have what all their friends are using, all the cool new app's and the WOW factor of , Hey look I have the new...... But for a good easy to use phone you can't beat a windows phone, and it does keep getting better. They have been saying for years that it was doomed, and yet it is still here. And I understand why Microsoft is building all those Android and Apple compatible App's, How better to get Apple and Android users familiar with Microsoft products, just one step closer to getting them to buy a Surface or Windows phone.
    Jazmac, muvig, wpn00b and 1 others like this.
    02-25-2015 12:19 PM
    One thing clear is that most people don't care about WP, but their services.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    02-25-2015 12:28 PM
    02-25-2015 12:39 PM
    Thanks for that, its a tough call we shall see soon.
    02-25-2015 12:40 PM
    Merged.
    02-25-2015 12:57 PM
    I've had Windows Phones, and before that, handheld devices ever since my Compaq WinCE 5.0 Pocket PC more years ago than I can remember. There've been lots of changes (anyone else remember the Motorola MPx200?) and I've used and enjoyed all of them. So unless the platform truly disappears like my old Palm or Handspring PDAs, I'll be sticking with it.

But, that said, given the numbers and history, BGR's proposition is hard to argue against. Of course they rabidly want to see it happen, and are preemptively cheering it on hoping to get anyone from trying or even looking at a Windows 10 device. Hopefully are also discounting the potential effect of universal programs.

Still, the odds and numbers are with them.
    Last edited by mhc48; 02-25-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    02-25-2015 02:13 PM
    The biggest issue, in the US at least, seems to be carrier support, both at store level and corporate levels. store reps rather push a samsung or iphone and corporate does very little to even show they have a windows phone.
    I think this is the biggest issue that most people on phone websites overlook-- I have 2 very conservative in-laws who like to complain about anything not going well for America. A couple year ago my MIL was on the market for a new Android device, I pointed out that the Moto X was being assembled in Texas, that they had a plant of some ~2000 employees. Long story short she's been carrying a Galaxy something for the past couple of years and I know it's because my father-in-law was advised on "the best" device by the Verizon store employee. Never mind the Moto X is a great phone with a good user experience, I guess salesmen > values. Also a big factor is "what's popular", no idea how Microsoft can battle that one. It's a chicken/egg thing I guess.

Anyone remember the decent store push the 900 got when it came out? They had lots of in-store advertisement at AT&T but the sales people had never used Windows Phone so they had absolutely no ability to sell it. So even though the carrier was on board it was a bust.
    bigbmc26 and wpn00b like this.
    02-25-2015 02:48 PM
    The way MSFT is going now .. Windows phone will be dead within 3 years
    02-25-2015 03:00 PM
    BGR = search "the typical mac user" images, and that's their writers.
    02-25-2015 03:05 PM
    The way MSFT is going now .. Windows phone will be dead within 3 years
    That's being generous!
    02-25-2015 03:10 PM
80 123 ...