Bye Bye, Google

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been Google free for awhile now and haven't looked back since.

Shame can't cut out Youtube since Windows Central, Microsoft, Phone reviews, hands-on videos on various tech etc are always posted on youtube and not on other services like Vimeo or Daily Motion. I get my music fix from MixRadio, apart from that I hardly use Youtube at all.

(as I read this back, I sound like an addict speaking in a self help group LOL! )

I get by using the windows phone alternatives. It's still using YouTube but I don't feel as bad using it as I do the actual YouTube site

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been a Google member since July 2010, and following the latest news that Google are stopping Softcard for Windows Phone, I have terminated my Google account, uninstalled Google Chrome and stopped using all Google's services (with the exception of YouTube).

I'll be using Bing services from now on (Cortana!) and using Mozilla Firefox, and just because I can, sign this petition I made :)

https://www.change.org/p/google-stop-discriminating-windows-phone-users-2

You beat me up I am writing my Google good bye letter as well.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I quit using Google services when I left Android years ago. The best insult I can give to Google is that I've not missed them in the least and leaving their services has had zero impact on my life. They are truly inconsequential.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm switching from Chrome to Spartan the second it releases. I'm growing more and more distasteful of Google over time. I absolutely love Bing and am very glad I switched, but I've been using Chrome for years and it's just too much hassle to move over to IE or FF. Can't wait for Spartan so I can get away from Google.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What's the hassle in moving to IE? Surely you just start using it. And... that's it....?

For my Google, hitting the "delete my account and all 10+ years data associated with it" was one of the most satisfying button presses ever.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching from Chrome to Spartan the second it releases. I'm growing more and more distasteful of Google over time. I absolutely love Bing and am very glad I switched, but I've been using Chrome for years and it's just too much hassle to move over to IE or FF. Can't wait for Spartan so I can get away from Google.

Open IE, go to File, Import/Export, import all bookmarks from other browsers, organize them however you like, then you're done! Yes you'll have to re-login to all your sites, but only once.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have switched to using Bing as my search engine - but it fails on not being able to search by date. It does find what I need.
Gmail - I have had an account since Google started - it's too the point I can't give it up easily. I did create an outlook.com address.
Google maps - I use Bing and Here+ they work great!
Google Drive - I am moving to OneDrive, but have a lot because of gmail integration
Youtube - there is no alternative.

Interestingly - because Google does not make apps/services for Windows - I use the Windows equivalent more and more....

I say - leave Google services off WP. Something new will show up, probably better.

Mr. V

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have switched to using Bing as my search engine - but it fails on not being able to search by date. It does find what I need.
Gmail - I have had an account since Google started - it's too the point I can't give it up easily. I did create an outlook.com address.
Google maps - I use Bing and Here+ they work great!
Google Drive - I am moving to OneDrive, but have a lot because of gmail integration
Youtube - there is no alternative.

Interestingly - because Google does not make apps/services for Windows - I use the Windows equivalent more and more....

I say - leave Google services off WP. Something new will show up, probably better.

Mr. V

I can search Bing by date range, could this be a regional thing? Also you could always just forward your gmail to an outlook e-mail, many do that including me.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows Central should start using Vimeo instead of Youtube. Videos are much much easier to upload on Vimeo when compared to Youtube. Of course, it will reach lesser audience but since the videos are embedded in the articles, I think it should be able to reach the right audience at least.

Change starts from within :)

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I've never using Google Chrome, and never like it, lol!
And never own any Android phone either. And after using WP since 2 years ago, I always using bing for search.
I use google just for Youtube & Blogger (and sometime Translate). If Microsoft offer free blogging service I'll switch too, but I not sure for Youtube.

Google has a new kind of racist.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I've never using Google Chrome, and never like it, lol!
And never own any Android phone either. And after using WP since 2 years ago, I always using bing for search.
I use google just for Youtube & Blogger (and sometime Translate). If Microsoft offer free blogging service I'll switch too, but I not sure for Youtube.

Google has a new kind of racist.

Bing translate is actually very good, worth a try anyway.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
What can I say, I never liked google services. Simple as that.
But don't get me wrong I am not a ****** of any kind, I just dislike Google's services!

When android 1.0 officially released ,I really liked the promise of the OS and everything about its openness and
freedom, but at the time, the hardware wasn't able to perform smoothly so I waited for more devices to roll with this OS.

So my first true smartphone was an xperia X10 mini ,one of the most bizarre little pieces of tech of the recent smartphone era!
With Android 1.6, a truly original launcher, and very speedy overall, the experience with that phone was AMAZING..
Anyway after more Android devices passing from my hands ,the appearance of Google's bloat was becoming more and more ''in your face''.
I never used Google+ ,Google now, drive and many many other services ,so why do I have to have them
in my phone eating up resources without ever using them!?
At that point I was tired of having to root every device to get rid of the google stuff.

The only Google services I currently use are :
- Google search (for the times duckduckgo and bing are letting me down) :p
- Gmail account which I created due to android (anything not important goes there)
- Youtube , yep, there was a time when Google had no relation with this service.!
That's all the Google thing for me folks!

From there I have :
HERE maps,drive,transport for maps and GPS,
Opera on PC , IE on Lumia,
Duckduckgo on PC, Bing on Lumia and
Microsoft translator for the times I'm cluelles with some words!

I'm not making compromises because I want alternatives for the Google services,
I just never used them because these are my preferred ones,
so I guess I won't say ''bye bye, Google'' :p

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
One of the big problems I had with Google was that you never knew what they were going to shut down next. Reader was the one I most noticed. But there's a good list here: Blog Posts on June 27, 2013 | Wordstream
I'm a big fan of change, but when they routinely shutter services with no better alternative available I find that just plain rude.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It seems Google has long since abandoned their "Don't Be Evil" policy.

Google technically has me on payroll... and I still have ill feelings towards them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs