Bye Bye, Google

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I am going to experiment this weekend with adding google's various domains for their advertising and tracking services into my DNS blackhole and see if normal web browsing is still usable. I expect a lot of spots on various websites to show a red X or a "page cannot be found" error in a box or something of that nature where advertising and tracking stuff would be. If that's all, I'll do it. If it makes everything slow down because it's waiting and timing out looking for stuff I told DNS not to resolve, I'll have to try something else.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Guys, is it possible to change my MS account mail from Gmail to Outlook? I made a fatal mistake when bought my first WP... Registered with gmail. Now I have a bunch of apps I bought that I wouldn't wanna lose by changing acc to outlook.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Guys, is it possible to change my MS account mail from Gmail to Outlook? I made a fatal mistake when bought my first WP... Registered with gmail. Now I have a bunch of apps I bought that I wouldn't wanna lose by changing acc to outlook.

Can you login to your MS account online and then create an outlook.com alias under settings?

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
What's the hassle in moving to IE? Surely you just start using it. And... that's it....?
My issue with IE is the inevitable, unexplainable event that occurs which causes all ones' tabs to be lost and not recoverable (i.e. opening IE to a single tab and "Reopen last browsing session" being grayed out. :winktongue:)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My issue with IE is the inevitable, unexplainable event that occurs which causes all ones' tabs to be lost and not recoverable (i.e. opening IE to a single tab and "Reopen last browsing session" being grayed out. :winktongue:)

I can honestly say that has never happened to me in years of IE use. Maybe it's one particular website not coded well for IE that causes that or something, or a plug-in? Or do you just have that option turned off in settings? :p

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I really hate Google as they are worse than Apple when it comes to being a good company. The only thing that I use of Google is there website and YouTube that is all.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I signed - but you should update your petition to say Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone, considering its both of which Google has failed to support. Why should consumers suffer because of Google and Microsoft's petty BS war to see who's Dl(k is bigger.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I have also never had this happen. I've been using Internet Explorer since Windows 8.1 came out.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have started using DuckDuckGo (which I believe uses Bing). The more I use it, the more I come to like it and prefer it over google.

Shame Bing Maps are so out of date, though. That's a killer for me.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Give Vimeo some attention when you are looking at videos. Just a thought. I do.

Here is the problem with Vimeo: users must disable privacy protection for searching and then Google Analytics is crawling all over them. I can't find the Wikipedia citation I was looking at when researching who to have host my video post Google. Sorry for no link.

Try out dailymotion also.

I went Dailymotion as I can't find any Google linkage there.

I'm switching from Chrome to Spartan the second it releases. I'm growing more and more distasteful of Google over time. I absolutely love Bing and am very glad I switched, but I've been using Chrome for years and it's just too much hassle to move over to IE or FF. Can't wait for Spartan so I can get away from Google.

I killed Chrome the moment I made this decision. I'm on IE because the newest Opera won't let you choose Bing as a search default. I'm not giving up my Bing Rewards. Firefox is heavily subsidized by Google. Iron would not import my Chrome data!!!

C'mon Spartan. I need ya, baby.

Go to your Microsoft Account on your PC browser. Add an Outlook.com account and make it primary. Wait 24 hours and delete the Gmail. It takes about 48 hours total for all the Microsoft servers to make the change and it then shows everywhere. You do not lose data or App ownership.

Minor glitch. I can't get Skype to stop reporting to Gmail and it won't take my new password. I'll get around to calling Customer Care to hammer this out. Another user reported a problem merging Xbox gamer tags. He stated Customer Care fixed it for him, if I remember correctly.

Guys, you CAN switch the email your Microsoft Account attaches to. It just takes a bit of patience and time. No alias, no Gmail forward to your outlook. Just switch.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When I made the decision to rid myself of Google services, it also took away the opportunity to have a BlackBerry 10 device. Sure, there are some native apps available but the ones I need are ported Android apps. No way, no how. I'm not the type to write "letters to the editor" or start online petitions (those that do, bless your hearts). I take a different approach, I just buzz off without a trace. If they reach out to me, then I'll have the chance to let somebody have it. If they don't reach out for feedback, eff 'em, they never valued my business anyway.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Here is the problem with Vimeo: users must disable privacy protection for searching and then Google Analytics is crawling all over them. I can't find the Wikipedia citation I was looking at when researching who to have host my video post Google. Sorry for no link.

I went Dailymotion as I can't find any Google linkage there.

I killed Chrome the moment I made this decision. I'm on IE because the newest Opera won't let you choose Bing as a search default. I'm not giving up my Bing Rewards. Firefox is heavily subsidized by Google. Iron would not import my Chrome data!!!

C'mon Spartan. I need ya, baby.

Go to your Microsoft Account on your PC browser. Add an Outlook.com account and make it primary. Wait 24 hours and delete the Gmail. It takes about 48 hours total for all the Microsoft servers to make the change and it then shows everywhere. You do not lose data or App ownership.

Minor glitch. I can't get Skype to stop reporting to Gmail and it won't take my new password. I'll get around to calling Customer Care to hammer this out. Another user reported a problem merging Xbox gamer tags. He stated Customer Care fixed it for him, if I remember correctly.

Guys, you CAN switch the email your Microsoft Account attaches to. It just takes a bit of patience and time. No alias, no Gmail forward to your outlook. Just switch.
Isn't Firefox now with yahoo which is with Bing?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't see anything great about google services. some people might just like I see Microsoft services to be great. but I really roll my eyes when I see so much adquisitions and then "no more for Windows phones" at least Waze got an update some of these days, I don't use it myself but if someone uses it it should be good.

The only service I use from time to time it is YouTube. but I don't use it because I want it is becuase many videos from 3d products I like are uploaded there. of course whenever they upload to Vimeo, which is used alot by 3d artista and companies, I run there as fast as I can, it loads faster and to me it looks better while not buffering it like crazy.
But when I can I copy YouTube video address and just paste it into PotPlayer, so I don't touch google ads or anything and I don't have to deal with the way it plays.

But yeah, I stopped using gmail because I got many spam email, like 100 daily. and that was before Windows Phone was released, and everytime I see how things work on their services like google docs and stuff or gdrive... I really don't understand why people would choose them apart from "Microsoft sucks" some people I know uses.

I must admit I use google search sometimes when I am really desperate to find something, and bing doesn't find it or I want more answers to my question. but not often, just couple times a month. while I use Bing for most searches and stuff. and i am not from US so people can't say anything about "It is only good for US". it works great here, and I can change it to US bing whenever i need it. not like I die for 3 clicks I have to make.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm... I guess they did get off the Google teat after all. Firefox ditches Google and makes Yahoo its default search engine - GeekWire

Looks like Microsoft has no appreciable interest in Yahoo. YHOO Major Holders | Yahoo! Inc. Stock - Yahoo! Finance

I might have to take a fresh look at Firefox then. I tried White Hat's Aviator today and found that lacking.

Holy freaking s**t, you wrote all those words, in the earlier comment and I took my time, thinking you had something legitimate to say, and I read that endless comment.

Now you admit to being wrong? I do appreciate the honesty, but ...

Wow, YOU and I, wasted my time.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Holy freaking s**t, you wrote all those words, in the earlier comment and I took my time, thinking you had something legitimate to say, and I read that endless comment.

Now you admit to being wrong? I do appreciate the honesty, but ...

Wow, YOU and I, wasted my time.

Sorry... Last I saw in an interview Firefox was saying how committed they were to Google. Guess that was a negotiating tactic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb