Bye Bye, Google

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Google isn't very smart. Between them and Apple they have 96% of the world mobile market. Windows phone has 3+%. What harm would it be for Google to put all of its products on Windows phone? Microsoft on the other hand is pretty smart by making their products available to Google and iOS.

​I don't see Microsoft making a big dent in the mobile market but it sure would be nice if they could do something to at least get into double digits. They really need to get programmers on board first. Then people will follow

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Firefox but have Bing as my default search engine, not Yahoo or Google.
View attachment 98510

It was more a point of not supporting that revenue stream from Google to Firefox, rather than not being able to change default search engine. But it is a moot point now as they have ended their dependence on Google.

Opera 27 on the other hand... I jumped through several hoops and could not get Bing to default search status. They really crippled it good.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Google isn't very smart. Between them and Apple they have 96% of the world mobile market. Windows phone has 3+%. What harm would it be for Google to put all of its products on Windows phone? Microsoft on the other hand is pretty smart by making their products available to Google and iOS.

​I don't see Microsoft making a big dent in the mobile market but it sure would be nice if they could do something to at least get into double digits. They really need to get programmers on board first. Then people will follow

In some countries WP is already in double digits for market share, it's mostly America that seems to be dragging market share down to that 3+% worldwide. That's mainly due to the Goog-pple duopoly that exists in America.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
It isn't hard. Bing rewards helps. Plus I feel that Android is just a device they give away for free so they can make money on the back end. I realize that everyone is doing that, but I feel as though Google does not have an actual product or service to sell me.

It started with Photos. I didn't like the fact it was tied into Google +. Plus Google kept losing my videos. I never had that problem with OneDrive.

It ends with the bloat on Android that I have to root to uninstall. I didn't want AOSP. I didn't want a Nexus. Give me an LG or Samsung for $50 without the spam. It wouldn't be a lot to ask for, but the Android business model requires so many subsidies for poor people to get a phone it is disturbing. Why should I pay a few hundred for the privilege of a clean install?

S T1

Banned
Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
LOVE Bing, and Bing Rewards. I had over 14,000 points at one time, but I redeem them for very cool FREE stuff they offer. Now I have 7,000. In addition, every time I do a search, its about 99% accurate on Bing, compare to only 75% on Google. I just don't understand why ppl like Google so much. It does not matter what I search, BING WINS EVERY TIME. I even do a LONG SEARCH, and I still get way better results with BING. I don't get it.

S T1

Banned
Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree. Android is free, so Google can monitor everything ppl do on it including listening to ppl's conversations(not sure if you knew that), so they gather anything you are interested in, so they can sell you ads, and sell those infos to 3rd parties for $$$$$. NOTHING google offers is free. We pay for it one way or another.

Bing rewards ROCKS. Also, Bing is 99% accurate compare to 79% on Google, every time I do a search. for Exp: If you search """apple is the mark of the beast" on both google and Bing, you will get better results. that's just a simple expl. I do all kind of automotive, electronics, News, other countries News,....... and Bing still wins BIG, and every time, and I LOVE my Bing Rewards. I had 14,000 points, now 7,000 as I redeemed for cool free stuff.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been a Google member since July 2010, and following the latest news that Google are stopping Softcard for Windows Phone, I have terminated my Google account, uninstalled Google Chrome and stopped using all Google's services (with the exception of YouTube).

I'll be using Bing services from now on (Cortana!) and using Mozilla Firefox, and just because I can, sign this petition I made :)

https://www.change.org/p/google-stop-discriminating-windows-phone-users-2

A better solution would've been to stop using WP instead.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

If you don't mind Google tracking everything you do and then selling that information to everyone under the sun, and you don't mind using a vastly inferior phone operating system, then you are certainly correct.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Why would that be a better solution, how about giving some reasons why someone who has terminated their Google account and are not using Google services except YouTube would be better off not using WP?

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
If you don't mind Google tracking everything you do and then selling that information to everyone under the sun, and you don't mind using a vastly inferior phone operating system, then you are certainly correct.
Not at all. I'd much rather get served ads about stuff for my truck, my quad, my home reno stuff, which helps me find a lot of parts and products i need. I enjoy having the interests I search for and places I go ending up reflected in my Google Now and Maps. I also order a lot of stuff online with gmail and get shipping updates about my orders.

However...

I'm not one of those people who think Eric Schmidt and the NSA are in a dimly lit room together somewhere in their underwear spanking themselves over the fog lights I just ordered for my truck though... 😏

849f0876c3202af737f29363afaf6bf254e0b936b5a677c45609c452914e35da.jpg

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Not at all. I'd much rather get served ads about stuff for my truck, my quad, my home reno stuff, which helps me find a lot of parts and products i need. I enjoy having the interests I search for and places I go ending up reflected in my Google Now and Maps. I also order a lot of stuff online with gmail and get shipping updates about my orders.

However...

I'm not one of those people who think Eric Schmidt and the NSA are in a dimly lit room together somewhere in their underwear spanking themselves over the fog lights I just ordered for my truck though... ��

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/84/849f0876c3202af737f29363afaf6bf254e0b936b5a677c45609c452914e35da.jpg

While you might not have a problem with Google reading your email to deliver targeted ads to your inbox most people do and, personally, I think that email should be private and not read by a third party.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
While you might not have a problem with Google reading your email to deliver targeted ads to your inbox most people do .
​Problem is, you ask those same "most people" if they'd rather pay for whatever Google's calling their email this month, and I'd $10 on the answer being "no". Demonstrably, most folks are happy with the trade-off of services in exchange for their privacy.

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
For those who (rightly) say there is no alternative to using YouTube, if you use an app such as MetroTube (on mobile and desktop), then there are no ads like when using the YouTube website. This = no ad money for Google. Every little helps :amaze:

Also, MetroTube is a fantastic app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss