Bye Bye, Google

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
​Problem is, you ask those same "most people" if they'd rather pay for whatever Google's calling their email this month, and I'd $10 on the answer being "no". Demonstrably, most folks are happy with the trade-off of services in exchange for their privacy.

Displaying ads when you're in your inbox is one thing, Microsoft do it on outlook.com, but it's another to use the content of your emails to target them.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
While you might not have a problem with Google reading your email to deliver targeted ads to your inbox most people do and, personally, I think that email should be private and not read by a third party.
Exactly. My answer to neo is that you shouldn't be using Internet based email for sensitive communication in the first place no matter who the provider is
​Problem is, you ask those same "most people" if they'd rather pay for whatever Google's calling their email this month, and I'd $10 on the answer being "no". Demonstrably, most folks are happy with the trade-off of services in exchange for their privacy.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. My answer to neo is that you shouldn't be using Internet based email for sensitive communication in the first place no matter who the provider is

I wasn't talking about sensitive communication and anyway Google go through ALL your emails whether they originated from a mobile device, desktop or via a website so it really doesn't matter.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
While you might not have a problem with Google reading your email to deliver targeted ads to your inbox most people do and, personally, I think that email should be private and not read by a third party.

​You do realize Gmail is one of, if not the, most used email providers... right?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
So what? Hitler was most popular person is germany. Being most something doesent mean anything.

A) Did you just compare GMail to Hitler?
B) I was responding to the comment about how most people have a problem with Google reading their emails. Obviously being the most popular provider kind of means a huge chunk of people don't.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't talking about sensitive communication and anyway Google go through ALL your emails whether they originated from a mobile device, desktop or via a website so it really doesn't matter.
I refer back to my last post comments just above the picture

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I use two gmail accounts as spam and pointless crap accounts. My main one is still Outlook. Never used chrome, and I have been using bing since mid-2012. Obviously, I still use YouTube.

Honestly, couldn't be happier without them being part of my life.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
For those who (rightly) say there is no alternative to using YouTube, if you use an app such as MetroTube (on mobile and desktop), then there are no ads like when using the YouTube website. This = no ad money for Google. Every little helps :amaze:

Also, MetroTube is a fantastic app.

myTube is better ^_^

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Being the most popular doesn't automatically excuse Google of reading ALL of a users email, does it?

I think he was countering your claim here:

Gmail being the most used email provider indicates that most people do not care. It's also why security, or lack of it, doesn't seem to matter much to the general public. We don't care.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
For those who (rightly) say there is no alternative to using YouTube, if you use an app such as MetroTube (on mobile and desktop), then there are no ads like when using the YouTube website. This = no ad money for Google. Every little helps :amaze:

Also, MetroTube is a fantastic app.

Also, no money for content creators. To be honest, I wish Google would find a way to block anyone who does this sort of thing,

Not sure what you're trying to say with that comment. Being the most popular doesn't automatically excuse Google of reading ALL of a users email, does it?

You said that most people don't like Google looking at their email. Most people don't care, that's the truth.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think he was countering your claim here:

Gmail being the most used email provider indicates that most people do not care. It's also why security, or lack of it, doesn't seem to matter much to the Google services users. Gmail users don't care.

Corrected that for you. Saying that no one cares about their privacy is just plain wrong.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Saying that no one cares about their privacy is just plain wrong.

Did I, or Michael Alan Goff, say that?

And when I mention security, I was also including Windows users. If users cared about security, we'd use Mac or Linux. But more than 90% of us use Windows. About 20% still use XP! And 85% of smartphone users use Android.

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Being pissed of because of Google's behavior, I've decided to get rid of all that ties me to them .
I've uninstalled Chrome and returned to IE . And now my main EMAIL address is outlook.
With the exception of YouTube ( tubecast to be exact ) I don't use anything of Google's. Hope
More windows phone users will follow.

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Also, no money for content creators. To be honest, I wish Google would find a way to block anyone who does this sort of thing,

You said that most people don't like Google looking at their email. Most people don't care, that's the truth.

Block anyone who does what sort of thing? Use a YouTube app?! Apps can provide a superior experience to a desktop site, one of those positives is the lack of ads.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Actually there's been plenty of stories about execs having devices made by competitors over the years. I have devices from every single current mobile company in my home right now. Why? Because I like to. Why must a Pepsi employee never have a Coke?

Actually I'm glad Eric said he likes bb10 in that article, I personally love their swipe gesture UI and if he does too maybe Google will incorporate more of it in android
That tells me all I need to know about Android when the CEO won't even use it.
Start building that bomb shelter Mr Ventura, they're coming for you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss