Bye Bye, Google

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have devices from every single current mobile company in my home right now.

1. You're not Eric Schmidt.

2. I'm sure CEOs from competing platforms have each other's devices, but they don't show up to a high-level meeting with it as their primary device in full view of everybody. I'm guessing you didn't read the story otherwise you wouldn't make such a post.

3. Imagine Alan Mullaly (Ford CEO) showing up to a Summit driving a Hyundai.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
1. You're not Eric Schmidt.

2. I'm sure CEOs from competing platforms have each other's devices, but they don't show up to a high-level meeting with it as their primary device in full view of everybody. I'm guessing you didn't read the story otherwise you wouldn't make such a post.

3. Imagine Alan Mullaly (Ford CEO) showing up to a Summit driving a Hyundai.

I'm guessing you obviously have never watched interviews with him. He's pretty blunt and known for not caring about everything you just listed. Good try though. I especially loved how you told me I'm not him and then proceeded to tell me how he behaves yourself. Lol.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing you obviously have never watched interviews with him. He's pretty blunt and known for not caring about everything you just listed. Good try though. I especially loved how you told me I'm not him and then proceeded to tell me how he behaves yourself. Lol.

Au contraire, I do follow CEOs and what they represent to their company's direction. But I didn't mention anything about his behavior, I simply stated fact. Mr. Schmidt can pretty much do as he wishes, but his actions leave perception issues with the public. You can read into that anything you like, but wishful thinking doesn't change anything. Please word your posts carefully, they're bordering on disruptive.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used any google products since windows phone 7. I already knew where they were heading, and made my pact with Microsoft at that point. I'm glad they didn't get into videogame industry, let that be part of MS.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used any google products since windows phone 7. I already knew where they were heading, and made my pact with Microsoft at that point. I'm glad they didn't get into videogame industry, let that be part of MS.
I can agree with this. Desktop OSs have been a 2 horse show for decades, Sony and MS have dominated gaming consoles for years. Doesn't look like the 2 horse show is going to be any different for mobile. MS and BB have both been unsuccessful in changing that so far. I don't want Google to get into consoles either, I enjoy what ms and Sony are doing and Google would try to push crappy mobile gaming to the forefront.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To my perception... Google has gone 180* from being open and inclusive to becoming grasping and invasive. From empowering to domineering.

That's why I'm doing my best to not use their products to the best of my ability.

The final straw was when finding articles to read and huge ads block out the content. Upon closing the ad popup there is a Google survey for why I closed the ad... All the choices are about how can they make the ad more appealing. You simply can't. It is an ad. You shoved it in my face. It is unwanted, unexpected and unsolicited. It is blocking my view of the content I want to see. I clicked a link expecting facts or entertainment or fun. I did not click the link in the expectation of enhancing Google's revenue stream. That is not my primary purpose in being online.

They show no sense of restraint and try to imply that the ad is natural. They want my help to make the ad as desirable as the content? You have got to be kidding. How out of touch is that? Please help us subvert your desire to see actual facts. How can we trick you into believing that schemes to feed us money is the entire purpose of the internet?

More and more Google is using the good will and influence built up from their earlier years and philosophies to insinuate themselves into every aspect of the data stream and interject themselves as gatekeepers. They rely heavily on that earlier earned reputation as a square dealer. That reputation is no longer deserved, but many in the public are slow to realize. The Google of yore is gone. The new Google is a slippery octopus wrapping its tentacles around everything it can reach and squeezing. This is a dangerous trend. They've burned up their good will with me and I say quite clearly: enough is enough.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
To my perception... Google has gone 180* from being open and inclusive to becoming grasping and invasive. From empowering to domineering.

That's why I'm doing my best to not use their products to the best of my ability.

The final straw was when finding articles to read and huge ads block out the content. Upon closing the ad popup there is a Google survey for why I closed the ad... All the choices are about how can they make the ad more appealing. You simply can't. It is an ad. You shoved it in my face. It is unwanted, unexpected and unsolicited. It is blocking my view of the content I want to see. I clicked a link expecting facts or entertainment or fun. I did not click the link in the expectation of enhancing Google's revenue stream. That is not my primary purpose in being online.

They show no sense of restraint and try to imply that the ad is natural. They want my help to make the ad as desirable as the content? You have got to be kidding. How out of touch is that? Please help us subvert your desire to see actual facts. How can we trick you into believing that schemes to feed us money is the entire purpose of the internet?

More and more Google is using the good will and influence built up from their earlier years and philosophies to insinuate themselves into every aspect of the data stream and interject themselves as gatekeepers. They rely heavily on that earlier earned reputation as a square dealer. That reputation is no longer deserved, but many in the public are slow to realize. The Google of yore is gone. The new Google is a slippery octopus wrapping its tentacles around everything it can reach and squeezing. This is a dangerous trend. They've burned up their good will with me and I say quite clearly: enough is enough.

In fact, Ads are natural. Ads are the mechanism used by companies to promote their products. Without ads people wouldn't know what their options are. Ads fulfill an importan role in the economy.

The ultimate success for Google would be to know more about you to transform ads into propositions of products or activities that solve your real life problems. Google needs more information and better AI to offer exctatly what you need at the right time, even if you didn't know you needed that.
The replacement of the massive untargeted ads into personalized recomendations that makes you happier would be an amazing benefit for all the people.

Andrea Ghirardini

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Did I, or Michael Alan Goff, say that?

And when I mention security, I was also including Windows users. If users cared about security, we'd use Mac or Linux. But more than 90% of us use Windows. About 20% still use XP! And 85% of smartphone users use Android.

Windows can be hardened like every one other operating system. I switched from Mac to Windows about three years ago, When Windows 8 came out on the market. Every time I bought a new PC I use about three hours to lock everything and to install a good Endpoint (in my case Comdo Internet Suite who is definetly not userfriendly but a true badass for security. I connected my laptop to all the hack camp's networksin Europe (OHM, CCC, ESC and so one) and no successed in break in .

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In fact, Ads are natural. Ads are the mechanism used by companies to promote their products. Without ads people wouldn't know what their options are. Ads fulfill an importan role in the economy.

The ultimate success for Google would be to know more about you to transform ads into propositions of products or activities that solve your real life problems. Google needs more information and better AI to offer exctatly what you need at the right time, even if you didn't know you needed that.
The replacement of the massive untargeted ads into personalized recomendations that makes you happier would be an amazing benefit for all the people.

No it would not make me happy and is not a benefit to people. It is too invasive and they are sifting the data stream for greed and profit.

That will never sit right with me. It does not build Utopia, only Dystopia.

Again, I clicked on something for very specific - NOT SHOPPING - reasons. Making advertising blend better and become more palatable is not my function in life and not my purpose in being online. Yes I consume, absolutely. Do I need to consume more? Most likely I need to consume less. But it is not for me to be passive about some company interposing themselves on my daily activities with unwanted and unwarranted intrusions in order to increase my consumption.

I get that you like Google and don't mind that they pilfer your data and fill your head with mindless consumerism at every opportunity.

Here's the bottom line. I DO mind. I do not want them there. I am specifically NOT inviting them. They have no inherent right to interpose themselves unasked into my data stream. NONE. If I were warned before clicking that I would be presented with an ad that would block me from seeing the content I asked for, I would not click. Where is my choice? Where is my freedom from unwanted intrusion?

They have truly crossed over to cyber-abuse.

Capture.JPG

You say, "the ultimate success for Google would be to know more about [me] to transform ads into propositions of products or activities that solve [my] real life problems." And I most specifically don't want Google to know more about me. I do not want them to offer me anything. It is not a kindness.

If you take a woman flowers and she asks you not to do so, do you have the right to bring her different flowers the next day? Was it the type of flowers? Was it the way the flowers were arranged? Do you get to jump out of alleyways at her and ask if she likes chocolate better than flowers? Can you just open her door and walk in to her home and start showing her items of jewelry, asking her which she likes more, which less?

What part of feeling invaded by Google just so they can make money is beneficial to me? What part of I feel they are invading my data do you not understand? How am I not allowed to opt out of a relationship that I deem abusive? Why would you seek to glamorize and romanticize that abuse?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
people need to realize that google is first and foremost an Ad company and farms you for information. That's the foundation of their empire, so every google product/software is constantly collecting information of you.

Very different from apple and microsoft.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Please

Without ads people wouldn't know what their options are? Are you frigging kidding me? This is what is wrong with the world today.

Do you honestly believe all people are so simple minded that they have to be shown this? Just because you aren't able to make up your own mind on what you are looking for doesn't mean everyone else does

I don't need a search engine to show me my options, I know what I am looking for and no.... ads aren't natural nor are they neutral....... They are designed to entice you to click on them and in doing so you are being led by the nose and lining the pockets of others.......

People are so gullible these days and Google knows this and will take advantage of this every chance they can. I know this because I use their services but only on a limited basis. Even though I use a Android phone I try my best to use other options to find the things I need or want to look at and buy.

I will say this... Google has only gotten as large as they are by people who are gullible.... and yes I know full well that there are millions of gullible people in the world and more are born every day. It's unfortunate that this is a sad reality.............

Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
So Google+ is officially a failure but most of the media isn't even making a big deal out of it like they would have had it been a MS service.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
So Google+ is officially a failure but most of the media isn't even making a big deal out of it like they would have had it been a MS service.

No one really liked it in the first place..... Lol

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Please

Without ads people wouldn't know what their options are? Are you frigging kidding me? This is what is wrong with the world today.

Do you honestly believe all people are so simple minded that they have to be shown this? Just because you aren't able to make up your own mind on what you are looking for doesn't mean everyone else does

I don't need a search engine to show me my options, I know what I am looking for and no.... ads aren't natural nor are they neutral....... They are designed to entice you to click on them and in doing so you are being led by the nose and lining the pockets of others.......

People are so gullible these days and Google knows this and will take advantage of this every chance they can. I know this because I use their services but only on a limited basis. Even though I use a Android phone I try my best to use other options to find the things I need or want to look at and buy.

I will say this... Google has only gotten as large as they are by people who are gullible.... and yes I know full well that there are millions of gullible people in the world and more are born every day. It's unfortunate that this is a sad reality.............

Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it

If a company release a new product, how would you know about it without ads? Ads are information for buying decisions. Without information the market doesn't work well. Google made ads more efficient for both consumers and advertisers, and there is a lot of value in that.

The failure to capture a relevant share of the ad business is one of the reasons why Microsoft has so many problems. Google can provide top quality products for free and use the ad business to finance the development.
Microsoft tried to build an ad network called Atlas but It failed. The asset was sold to Facebook last year that is using it to develop their own ad network.

I prefer Microsoft, but Google is a great company and they provide much benefit to its users. If Microsoft wants to survive they have to develop better products than Google's, so people may decide to pay for them, and that's not easy.

Last edited:

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Google services are light years ahead of Microsoft, and if WP is to succeed I suspect WP will have to learn a few lessons from the Android model. I personally do not mind that Google wants to know everything about me. It's not like the IRS, NSA, and just about every western intelligence agency don't know already. Believe me, if you use anything electronic, have an account, have a job, do anything at all (basically if you are drawing breath and have a pulse) the government already knows pretty much everything about you already.)

What do I get in exchange? I get a personalized experience. Google manages my calendar extremely well, manages my daily routine with automatic traffic reports at the times it knows I usually head for work or go home, alerts me automatically as to accidents and construction on the road no matter whether I'm using a navigation app or not, shows me the most relevant news I care about when it knows I want to see it, and can even customize search results on the internet for me based on what it's learned from me and knows about me. It can also monitor anything I want to basically serve as a free personal assistant to help me manage all other aspects of my life.

But the wonderful thing about Google is that all that intrusion is for the most part optional. Ie. you can opt out of it if you feel like it. Before Google gets anything for the first time, it will tell you whether you want to use a feature, and what parts of your phone they will need access to if you want that feature. It is up to you to opt in, or decline. And if you are on board and later change your mind, you can always change the settings and opt out. In other words, Google is no more intrusive than IOS or WP unless you specifically enable them to be, and they are up front about it (it's not like they are tricking you into getting something you don't want.)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Google services are light years ahead of Microsoft, and if WP is to succeed I suspect WP will have to learn a few lessons from the Android model. I personally do not mind that Google wants to know everything about me. It's not like the IRS, NSA, and just about every western intelligence agency don't know already. Believe me, if you use anything electronic, have an account, have a job, do anything at all (basically if you are drawing breath and have a pulse) the government already knows pretty much everything about you already.)

What do I get in exchange? I get a personalized experience. Google manages my calendar extremely well, manages my daily routine with automatic traffic reports at the times it knows I usually head for work or go home, alerts me automatically as to accidents and construction on the road no matter whether I'm using a navigation app or not, shows me the most relevant news I care about when it knows I want to see it, and can even customize search results on the internet for me based on what it's learned from me and knows about me. It can also monitor anything I want to basically serve as a free personal assistant to help me manage all other aspects of my life.

But the wonderful thing about Google is that all that intrusion is for the most part optional. Ie. you can opt out of it if you feel like it. Before Google gets anything for the first time, it will tell you whether you want to use a feature, and what parts of your phone they will need access to if you want that feature. It is up to you to opt in, or decline. And if you are on board and later change your mind, you can always change the settings and opt out. In other words, Google is no more intrusive than IOS or WP unless you specifically enable them to be, and they are up front about it (it's not like they are tricking you into getting something you don't want.)

That's great to know! So how did I end up with a Google+ account when I never wanted one nor set one up?

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
That's great to know! So how did I end up with a Google+ account when I never wanted one nor set one up?

Yes, that was wrong, but they corrected it.
Although, It would have been better for all if G+ had succeeded. Google's services would be better with social information, even ads would be more relevant and less anoying. In the current situation Google doesn't have social data, and Facebook doesn't have search data, neither can reach its full potential.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site

I feel bad for those user who were forced to sign up for google plus just so you can comment on youtube; that was some time ago, maybe the policy changed I am not aware of? Also signing up for google plus to rate applications on the google play store along with taking the axe to google reader left users with a bitter taste in their mouths.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that was wrong, but they corrected it.
Although, It would have been better for all if G+ had succeeded. Google's services would be better with social information, even ads would be more relevant and less anoying. In the current situation Google doesn't have social data, and Facebook doesn't have search data, neither can reach its full potential.

They may have corrected that but it doesn't excuse them from doing it in the first place and how would it have been better for all if G+ succeeded. I get the distinct impression that you're a big Google fan, personally I'm not as they happen to be one of, if not the most invasive company on the face of the planet. We aren't users of Google's services, we are their "product" and we become that through them using our data. The fact that they scan ALL email that their "products" send and receive to provide ads to your inbox is a perfect example!!!!

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
If a company release a new product, how would you know about it without ads? Ads are information for buying decisions. Without information the market doesn't work well. Google made ads more efficient for both consumers and advertisers, and there is a lot of value in that.

The failure to capture a relevant share of the ad business is one of the reasons why Microsoft has so many problems. Google can provide top quality products for free and use the ad business to finance the development.
Microsoft tried to build an ad network called Atlas but It failed. The asset was sold to Facebook last year that is using it to develop their own ad network.

I prefer Microsoft, but Google is a great company and they provide much benefit to its users. If Microsoft wants to survive they have to develop better products than Google's, so people may decide to pay for them, and that's not easy.

Apparently you don't read tech sites, read a newspaper or magazines or even watch TV...

As a consumer I am bombarded with information on what is available to purchase without ever having to use any adds on my phone.

Google has not made things really better for the consumer but has made it better for themselves with the pretext of making things better for you.

The thing is you are allowing yourself to be led by your nose to things that they want you to see and make money by doing so.

There is a significant difference in how you do things and how I do things. If I go somewhere I know where I am going prior to leaving, if I need to purchase something I know what I need to purchase. If I am hungry I decide what it is I am hungry for before I go get it.

See the difference between myself and others is I am not a impulse shopper or buyer. Google encourages impulse shopping just like the old TV shows like Home Shopping Network and they are making a fortune off the backs of unsuspecting consumers who can't make up their minds on what to buy what to eat where to go prior to going. Most of these people don't want to invest a little time in researching what they want and to plan for their purchases or other needs

I don't need adds on my phone nor do I want to be redirected when I search for something and I resent when it is hoisted upon me without my consent. It's unfortunate that by signing up for a Google account that it is a blanket consent and all I can say is Thank God for ad blockers

If you understood this you might not think the way you do and start doing things differently

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo