An Idea: Microsoft + PayPal?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As we all know Google just bought the intellectual rights to Softcard, which will leave Windows in the dust again. It's clear that Microsoft needs some sort of NFC payment solution. Why not turn to PayPal?

Obviously, PayPal is a world leader in secure payments already. I don't think there is any more convenient way to pay than PayPal. So why not NFC?

I don't think anything would really need to be fundamentally changed a whole lot. People already have their bank accounts and credit cards linked to PayPal. So adding NFC payments and integrating PayPal Here all into one app would create the absolute best and most convenient way to take care of your spending

It sure would be nice to see Microsoft buy PayPal, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Some sort of partnership between the two would be beneficial though as Microsoft needs a solution. Softcard has struggled to get a foot in. Their attempt was kind of actually pathetic. Apple has succeeded in it, though Apple Pay wouldn't be anywhere near the same level as the PayPal I'm describing. Someone needs to step in and do it right.
Sent from Tapatalk on my Lumia Icon

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I just read a while lot about what Microsoft is working on regarding mobile payments. It was very confusing to me, but it seemed to involve PayPal, Windows 10 IoT and even Apple Pay & Google Wallet.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, no offense.
​None taken.
MS are hardly in the same league as PayPal when it comes to offering their products/services to multiple territories. I can't see PayPal wanting to partner up and potentially have to support a whole plethora of territory-specific services.
I like the idea of mobile payments. But I don't want an iPhone. Will be interesting to see if anyone else can/wants a slice of that pie. Visa and MasterCard surely.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
​None taken.
MS are hardly in the same league as PayPal when it comes to offering their products/services to multiple territories. I can't see PayPal wanting to partner up and potentially have to support a whole plethora of territory-specific services.
I like the idea of mobile payments. But I don't want an iPhone. Will be interesting to see if anyone else can/wants a slice of that pie. Visa and MasterCard surely.
I'm a bit confused. PayPal already supports 203 markets and 26 currencies. https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide

What would be the difficulty?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
But MS don't like launching things globally. It would be an uneasy partnership.

Then again, Steam accepts PayPal as a payment option, even though the only currencies supported for Steam payment are: United States Dollars (USD), British Pounds (GBP), Russian Rubles (RUB), Brazilian Reais (BRL) or Euros (EUR).

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It does seem like a logical extension. Paypal is already on WP now, seemingly all it would require is adding the ability to access NFC to the app. Although I doubt something like that would occur until EBay spins PayPal off.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ agree. Buying off PayPal won't happen until eBay gives it up (which it won't in my opinion)...a strategic partnership? Bring it on! Actually Microsoft should work more with credit card companies to make this more generic. Why even keep a third party provider in the interim if payments can be done directly from the cellphone via the wallet?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Why even keep a third party provider in the interim if payments can be done directly from the cellphone via the wallet?
Agreed. My wallet app already has credit cards and other things in it, the NFC settings say tap to pay is turned on, and I have the secure sim that never worked with Softcard. I really don't understand why anything else would be required.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Anything that involves secure SIM will involve carries and that's wat you don't want. Better to just work directly with banks and cut out all middle men.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It does seem like a logical extension. Paypal is already on WP now, seemingly all it would require is adding the ability to access NFC to the app. Although I doubt something like that would occur until EBay spins PayPal off.

For the record, EBay WILL not sell PayPal, that is their primary source of payment and income from the eBay sales. Even of MS was to jump at a crazy number so high that no company could refuse, it would not happen.

A partnership, maybe. As Paypal is too big for Android or apple as well, a partnership would work here. All depending if they get the rights to use Tap to Pay. This would be the big thing here.

Not really that Paypal is bigger than Android, or Microsoft, you would not want to put that many eggs in one basket, nor would a company want to have the rep of killing ebay. That would do more harm than good.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I never suggested EBay would sell or that MS should buy PayPal. Its only being spun off as a separate company. But MS has started a partnership of sorts with PP, making POS store terminals for Surface and possibly Square like add ones to WIndows phone devices. Aiding NFC is a possible route for additional collaboration. I don't think anything like that would happen until the spin off is complete.

Nor is there any reason why PP might not attempt a similar collaboration with Google or even Apple, if one of those (more likely Google) think it would benefit their payment systems at some point down the road.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
EBay may sell enterprise unit ahead of PayPal split | Reuters

EBay plans to split its marketplace division from PayPal in the second half of this year. PayPal will be a standalone publicly traded company, which some analysts say will be worth $40 billion.

I doubt Microsoft wants to pay $40 large for PayPal, however, a significant "investment" could lead to a long term partnership and eventual third party mobile payment operator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb