I'm glad Windows Phones like the 640 XL exists

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I got my Lumia 1520 through AT&T Next, which at the time it wasn't a huge price difference between Next and straight unlocked. Despite all the claims that, "it's totally not a contract, bro!" you're still on the hook since you have to sign an "installment agreement." And if you cancel early then you still have to pay the remainder of the device. So yeah, totally a contract.

I just recently packed my 1520, my girl's 925 and jumped ship to Cricket for cheaper prices and more data. For those that don't know, Cricket is a subsidy of AT&T that sells non-contract phones. Unfortunately, they only offer low-end WP handsets. I think the "best" Windows Phone they ever offered was the 1320.

Well, as someone that doesn't plan on signing a contract again, ever, I have to be more financially conscious about my phone choices. Flagship phones are awesome but I'm hesitant to drop 600-700 dollars on another flagship. That's just out of basic principle since, to me, it's still "a phone."

That is what makes the low-mid range devices so interesting. Value for the price. I read the previews for the M9 and Galaxy S6/Edge. Honestly, not impressed. They're (likely) great phones but it's the same thing every year. Here's a new processor, better camera (maybe), and other things you won't even notice in day-to-day use. In truth, at least with Windows Phone, I can get much of the same usability, fluidity and stability from a $300 Windows Phone. I don't have to spend $700-$800 for a new Galaxy.

What makes the 640 XL great is that it offers a large screen, decent specs, upgraded Zeiss camera and the exterior looks excellent, IMO. Instead of dropping $600 for one phone (or $1200 since I have two phones to worry about), I can drop $200-$300 for each phone and get a very good device. I feel less gimped by going the mid-range route. I hope Microsoft continues to improve their low-mid range offerings. A flagship is fine, nothing against them (considering I own one, lol) but it's good knowing I don't have to buy a flagship to get a good phone.

Granted, by the time I get rid of my 1520, they'll probably be a 650 XL on the market. :grin:

Last edited:

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree with your basic premise, but for me I like to buy "good enough" phones at an even lower price point. I bought my current 635 on the Black Friday deal for $39.95. If you can be patient there are always deals to be had after a phone has been out awhile. You can save tons of money by never buying the latest and greatest, but instead get last year's great phone. The thing is today you can find a cheap phone that can do 95% of what most of us need and/or want in a phone. You pay a lot for that last 5%.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad that Microsoft seems to be aiming these new models at business and moving the Lumia camera forward in both lower priced offerings.
When I heard 5 inch screen and 8mp Lumia camera 5 at $178.00 USD (L640) I was reaching for my wallet.

I say Microsoft may have finally landed in the place where they can do a bit better with the platform.
This I consider a win for users like me and Microsoft Mobile.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I know it does. Everything will have to pass by the cloud....What about when you are out of the cloud?....And it is not all apps that can go on the SD Card

Sorry, but I don't see the point you're trying to make. Microsoft already stated that the 640 can be upgraded to Windows 10, so the OS will fit nicely on the internal storage. Everything else can be installed on the memory card. That's every app you download from the Windows store, every video, song, or picture. Nothing passes through the cloud. Streaming through the cloud is your choice but it's not mandatory. :smile:

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I got my Lumia 1520 through AT&T Next, which at the time it wasn't a huge price difference between Next and straight unlocked. Despite all the claims that, "it's totally not a contract, bro!" you're still on the hook since you have to sign an "installment agreement." And if you cancel early then you still have to pay the remainder of the device. So yeah, totally a contract.

I just recently packed my 1520, my girl's 925 and jumped ship to Cricket for cheaper prices and more data. For those that don't know, Cricket is a subsidy of AT&T that sells non-contract phones. Unfortunately, the only offer low-end WP handsets. I think the "best" Windows Phone they ever offered was the 1320.

Well, as someone that doesn't plan on signing a contract again, ever, I have to be more financially conscious about my phone choices. Flagship phones are awesome but I'm hesitant to drop 600-700 dollars on another flagship. That's just out of basic principle since, to me, it's still "a phone."

That is what makes the low-mid range devices so interesting. Value for the price. I read the previews for the M9 and Galaxy S6/Edge. Honestly, not impressed. They're (likely) great phones but it's the same thing every year. Here's a new processor, better camera (maybe), and other things you won't even notice in day-to-day use. In truth, at least with Windows Phone, I can get much of the same usability, fluidity and stability from a $300 Windows Phone. I don't have to spend $700-$800 for a new Galaxy.

What makes the 640 XL great is that it offers a large screen, decent specs, upgraded Zeiss camera and the exterior looks excellent, IMO. Instead of dropping $600 for one phone (or $1200 since I have two phones to worry about), I can drop $200-$300 for each phone and get a very good device. I feel less gimped by going the mid-range route. I hope Microsoft continues to improve their low-mid range offerings. A flagship is fine, nothing against them (considering I own one, lol) but it's good knowing I don't have to buy a flagship to get a good phone.

Granted, by the time I get rid of my 1520, they'll probably be a 650 XL on the market. :grin:

This is why I purchased a 635 for $40. For all of the fanfare of the iPhone 4, I have something that is just as good. Personally I think the low end makes the market more competitive overall. Nothing against the flagship, but its nice to have options.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Some apps don't like to run from slower SD storage and you can definitely tell, but 8gig is fine. Remember, 8gig was considered fine for the 820. You only got more in a Lumia by going for the 32gig 920. And back then NO apps went to SD. The 930 still has only 32gig so 8gig is very reasonable for phones beneath the 830, which has the 16gig the 820 ought to have had (but with an APU downgrade that counters the storage boost, so we never did get a proper 820 sequel).

It is true to say that Win8.1 is only just useable on a 32gig tablet though and though possible on 16gig I wouldn't try it. And Win8.1 can't transfer apps to SD at all. Since there will be no more WP os releases the standard W10 will be on phones, tablets and desktops and will just change UI layout as appropriate, I've seen no confirmation that move app to SD will be added to the main OS. That option may die with WP. I can't see W10 being a practical option for phones with <32gig even though there will be a way to cram it on so MS can claim compatibility.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's like sweet music :grin:

Hands on: Lumia 640 ought to be enough for anybody | Ars Technica

The Lumia 640 should sell at under $200, and the 640 XL in its (most expensive) dual-SIM LTE variant should be about $245. For that money, they look good, feel good, and work well, and it makes us wonder about how much a $600-$700 flagship would really offer. Is a $600-$700 flagship going to be better? Sure, in every way; more resolution, more memory, faster processor, more storage, maybe thinner or lighter or both.

But is it going to be five hundred dollars better? I don't think so. And with a $70 one year Office 365 subscription thrown in to the 640 and 640 XL, the value for many will be even better.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
But is it going to be five hundred dollars better? I don't think so. And with a $70 one year Office 365 subscription thrown in to the 640 and 640 XL, the value for many will be even better.

I agree Cori!
Good points I was wondering the same thing.
If this phone is a stellar hit with services and available freq bands it just may be the poor-mans dream come true.

Then again there's that weary crew waiting for a top drawer device.
We can all sympathize there I'm sure.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I feel like I'd miss on the 640 or 640 XL is Hey Cortana. I'm REALLY digging it on my Icon, and I'm not sure I could go back, especially once I've gotten used to it on my Windows 10 tablets and computer.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
It's like sweet music :grin:

The Lumia 640 should sell at under $200, and the 640 XL in its (most expensive) dual-SIM LTE variant should be about $245. For that money, they look good, feel good, and work well, and it makes us wonder about how much a $600-$700 flagship would really offer. Is a $600-$700 flagship going to be better? Sure, in every way; more resolution, more memory, faster processor, more storage, maybe thinner or lighter or both.

Some people was saying that Apple was doomed because cheap phones are good enough for everybody and there is no reason to spend +$600 in a phone. Well, Apple showed the last quarter that a big part of the smartphone users do value quality and design. In fact, the iPhone's average selling price increased.

Microsoft would love to be in Apple's position, selling millions of top of the line products, for a lot of money and receiving the recognition of the public. This apology of the low end is in some way pathetic, not only in this thread, I saw Nadella doing the same in an interview.

I have to report that Android does exists and is hitting the same price levels with similar or better hardware. The Lumia 640 is not enough, we need more than that.

MK Shatnawi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
All flagships will cost about 600-700 at release. You need to have patient to get a good deal, got my 1520 for 350euros no-contract a month ago.. If you like getting the device on release there is a price to pay..

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
that's good but damn 8 GB of internal storage>>>>wonder if one will have enough space?..

Takes microSDs up to 128GBs. :wink:

I have 8GB in my 635. Plenty of space. I have the OS, 1.2GB of apps on the internal phone storage, and 4.5GB apps on SD card. I still have over 2.5GB free on the phone storage. I also have over 5GB of downloaded maps, which are stored on the SD card. You can get maps on the SD card by using Lumia Storage Check, which allows you to configure maps to be stored either in phone memory or on SD card.

Really no need for more internal storage if you get a good, high speed SD card like I did. 110MB/s read speed and 45MB/s write speed on a 64GB card isn't too bad for a $22 card. (Going out of business sale.)

This apology of the low end is in some way pathetic, not only in this thread, I saw Nadella doing the same in an interview.

I have to report that Android does exists and is hitting the same price levels with similar or better hardware. The Lumia 640 is not enough, we need more than that.

No one is apologizing for the low end. Get over it. We are simply touting the benefits without apology. You want to know why Apple uses such high end hardware? It takes it to keep it running smooth. Lagdroid must have higher end hardware to be tolerable. This is why they make the sales. However, when you can get the same performance on a lower end processor, then you've got a good OS.

Also, no one is saying that the 640 is enough for everyone. It's not. However, it is more than enough for a majority of people. The other 5% will have to wait for the new flagships with Windows 10, or, you can go jump ship. The 640 and 640 XL are beautiful examples of what a budget phone can do. Not everyone can afford to get a flagship all the time, nor should they have to.

Saying "This apology of the low end is in some way pathetic" is an insult to people of lower means everywhere. Please be more considerate of the majority of the population on this planet and stop acting like you're the only one that matters.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Saying "This apology of the low end is in some way pathetic" is an insult to people of lower means everywhere. Please be more considerate of the majority of the population on this planet and stop acting like you're the only one that matters.

^^This^^ Plus it is not just people of "lower means," but the vast majority of people who prefer to spend their money on things more important to them than their smartphones. I work at a hi-tech company. A lot of people have high-end phones, and some of us have low-end phones. During the day I never see anyone do anything on their phones except text, IM, email, or make calls. Maybe occasionally someone checks the weather or news. I am the same. When I go home I could do more on my phone, but when I need serious computing power I use a real computer with a large screen that can blow away any smartphone in the world in terms of performance, and the computer is years old and out of date. The point being that 95% of us don't need the maybe 5% gain found by spending $5-$600 for a phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs