[Discussion] No flagship Lumia phone coming before Windows 10, Microsoft confirms

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I totally disagree with your perspective of not needing a flagship WP right now , but respect your right to it.

I too have had mostly all of the flagship phones on Android and traded my AT&T 1520 for the m8.

In the past with Android, all the way back to Cup Cake I needed to be able to root just for being able to get a better radio reception or GPS signal, and not to mention being able to customize the themes to my personal preference. The m8 and various launchers has cured my needing to do this.

As to needing WP flagship phones like a successor to the 1520 or the 1020 right now they have overlooked the fact that many people are actually wanting to switch platforms and prefer having a phone that has the very best internals available to last them 18-24 months till their next purchase or contract renewal. Not having one available right now is costing them customers with the new Androids soon to be arriving in the stores and with the iPhone 6's available now. A top end flagship phone ensures that the hardware (or actually lack of hardware) won't ever be a issue as what has happened in the past with WP.

While the 1520 is a fantastic phone with all available updates and should be pretty stable for the next year, technology isn't sleeping but is continually marching forward and there are tons of people like myself who wants the very latest in technology for my personal use.

There are plenty of people like yourself who are happy accepting less and some even go as far as saying that the very latest components aren't needed for a WP and what these people are actually doing is giving Microsoft a pass to utilize less than the best or yesterday's technology and are very vocal in spreading this misinformation in which the general public assumes WP is are inferior devices. While you and I both know that this isn't true, it is this and the total lack of new flagships that is the root cause of the problem.

While this is a simplified answer it is in fact the truth. Microsoft has to be seen as a leader in this regard not as stragglers for the platform to be able to generate interest with top of the line phones available everywhere.

The sad part is Microsoft has the money to do this and instead of showing the world they are the best... They are showing the world they are afraid of going head to head with the competition and are failing in their phone division.

I understand that they are trying something new by trying re-education but they are going about it all wrong. The perception of the people won't change when it comes to cheap products vs the very best products... It's the very best what we are drawn to.

Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it

This sums up my thinking as well. Like the OP I was the type to get at least two new phones a year, then I got the Lumia 1020 for the camera and loved the phone. But it's starting to show its age and I've been desperate for a successor. I've had the 1020 for about a year and half now and that's an eternity for me. I was hoping for a big announcement at MWC but yet again just another mid-range/budget phone. I have a Nexus 5 that I won and I use it from time to time. I'm actually starting to like Android and I don't know if I can wait another 9 months for a 1020 successor and that's IF Microsoft is even planning on releasing a true 1020 successor with a crazy camera etc. The Galaxy S6 is starting to look mighty tempting...

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
This sums up my thinking as well. Like the OP I was the type to get at least two new phones a year, then I got the Lumia 1020 for the camera and loved the phone. But it's starting to show its age and I've been desperate for a successor. I've had the 1020 for about a year and half now and that's an eternity for me. I was hoping for a big announcement at MWC but yet again just another mid-range/budget phone. I have a Nexus 5 that I won and I use it from time to time. I'm actually starting to like Android and I don't know if I can wait another 9 months for a 1020 successor and that's IF Microsoft is even planning on releasing a true 1020 successor with a crazy camera etc. The Galaxy S6 is starting to look mighty tempting...

My problem too.

I have been waiting for Microsoft to fix some issues with WP to come back to it, and it seems like they (in all their software right) can't figure it out or just refuse to. They just don't get it. So much potential, so little true leadership..... They think most people will just fall over for these low-end devices and they are wrong.

Samsung isn't messing around and is pulling out the stops on hardware and while the s6 is a top notch phone their cost cutting measures and lack of decent radios in their phones leave me cold. While a 128 gig phone would suffice, there has been enough issues with those chips to keep me away from them and without being able to root it the hopes of being able to change radios, loose touchwiz, and loose the bloat to get the best reception and having it look like I prefer is totally out of the question.

Right now the one Android phone I am most interested in is the new z4 Sony, especially if the 64 gig one is available on AT&T. It has it all but full carrier support is again in question. Eerily similar to WP in this regard.

My phone is payed off in June so I have a few months to see which way the wind is blowing then, but if there isn't any indication of a new flagship Windows phone by then I can't see myself being strung along anymore hoping and waiting for one...

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Well this is interesting. Carriers not only want WPs, they want low end WPs to put more pressure on Android/Apple. It's the UK site so I don't think this applies to the U.S.

Mobile Phone Reviews: Infosonics: Carriers Want Windows Phones

Lower-priced Windows phones are exciting carriers more, as the carriers reduce subsidies across the board, Ram said. That might help explain why Microsoft is churning out so many midrange phones like the new Lumia 640 and 640XL.

"The carriers are under tremendous pricing pressure. The iPhone is costing them a tremendous amount of money, and that's a transfer of money from the operators to Apple," Ram said.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance of American contracts, but did you really mean $400 per month?

Yes. Right now my bill for this month is $405. This is for 5 phones, 3 tablet/LTE devices and some bells and whistles on the account. Now, this is also after my 27% corporate discount. Unlimited Talk/Text (anytime) and 30GB Rollover shared data plan. Oh yeah, and devices on the NEXT plan. All of these little things add up. :(

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I just know one thing, whenever they release the flagships be it 9xx,10xx,15xx or Something surface inspired, phenomenal camera tech combined with windows 10, IT IS GOING TO BE AWESOME !!!!!!

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well this is interesting. Carriers not only want WPs, they want low end WPs to put more pressure on Android/Apple. It's the UK site so I don't think this applies to the U.S.

As much as we hate to think about it, the mobile landscape, whatever form you want to be in, is a business. It's a competition. You have to have a strategy to make headway into the market and build from that foundation.

Look, I ma not one to relish in excitement when mid to low end phones are announced other than knowing that it will help further the adaptation of the platform and give it some exposure.

Now, if you REALLY think about it and hear about how well the low end phones are doing and even get a chance to play with one and you are in the position to afford a flagship, then what are you going to do? Spend more money. It's a cycle, it's not perfect, but it seems to be working.

By leveraging the low end devices in emerging markets, they are getting free publicity and marketing with all of the news articles being put out. Granted, not all good, but it's something.

Word of mouth works, I have run successful businesses just by that method only. Gains are not what Microsoft may like, but a gain is a gain. Holding back on Flagship Phones until we have Windows 10 is a great idea to help them showcase the new OS and how it can actually utilize the power they hare putting behind it.

I remember with Android and coming out with Multi-Core processors and everyone was going crazy about it. Funny thing. The OS, at that point, couldn't even use more than one core for a while, so the hardware was wasted, even though on paper and ads, it looked really good and helped sell. The consumers just don't get it, but they do get more is better.

Ramble Ramble Ramble... no one knows for sure what the plan is, but with Microsoft and their deep pockets, they can weather the storm and look long term and go for the end-game.

I'll go along for the ride. Not because I am a "fan boy" or a "die-hard" Microsoft Geek (the latter being true), but Windows Phone suits my tastes, my usage needs and they look great. All things that are important to me. Microsoft has made my life. My career is based on their technology and my families well-being is ties to them in that way as well. The least I can do is stick by them on something I believe and like. :D

Edit: And I just read this... LOL!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-global-windows-phone-strategy,28697.html

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could agree with those who would have wanted a new flagship before Windows 10. The ones that were released did not set the world on fire in the sales column so why would anybody expect a different result? I think it's a sound business decision to wait until W10 comes out to then drop a sledgehammer on the market.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

So why do they make it so hard to buy one when you go into their stores? This claim has been around for years yet the stories of people being turned away from buying a WP device continue. I bet they are just saying this to get some money from Microsoft as they never follow through and always push ios and android.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I wish I could agree with those who would have wanted a new flagship before Windows 10. The ones that were released did not set the world on fire in the sales column so why would anybody expect a different result? I think it's a sound business decision to wait until W10 comes out to then drop a sledgehammer on the market.

If that's the case and a WP flagship is doomed to fail what good will waiting for Windows 10 do? Not sure what "sledgehammer" is going to drop with 10.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So why do they make it so hard to buy one when you go into their stores? This claim has been around for years yet the stories of people being turned away from buying a WP device continue. I bet they are just saying this to get some money from Microsoft as they never follow through and always push ios and android.

I've never purchased a WP in the UK so I'm not sure what it's like over there.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If that's the case and a WP flagship is doomed to fail what good will waiting for Windows 10 do? Not sure what "sledgehammer" is going to drop with 10.

I never said it was doomed to fail, I just stated that the previous WP8/8.1 models didn't sell very well in comparison to other WP models. That's documented fact. As for the sledgehammer, I believe it's in Microsoft's best interest to hit the market with a game-changing device whether it be hardware or software based. More of the usual is not going to cut it.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The article is about carriers outside the US. Not everyone is in the US. US Carriers are a different animal altogether.

How is a WP flagship doomed to fail?

The issue is this: Why should Microsoft release a new flagship with the same old operating system, when they can wait, do it with Windows 10 preinstalled which will support more types of hardware and better hardware? Then they can put out a model that can really take advantage of Windows 10 fully to show the world what can be done. If they put out one before Windows 10, it would be a crippled version compared to the Windows 10 model coming out shortly after. Not worth it.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've never purchased a WP in the UK so I'm not sure what it's like over there.

When I was searching for a 920, seems like 100 years ago now, some of the staff looked at me like I was trying to buy secondhand food. One guy asked what I wanted, and when I mentioned the 920, he had no idea why. When I mentioned the camera, he told me that all phones "have 8mp now, so they are all the same". He didn't get my business.

I have no doubt that they have improved, but a flagship is the thing that would cause a major shift in there thinking, with a big launch. Create a buzz!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The issue is this: Why should Microsoft release a new flagship with the same old operating system, when they can wait, do it with Windows 10 preinstalled which will support more types of hardware and better hardware? Then they can put out a model that can really take advantage of Windows 10 fully to show the world what can be done. If they put out one before Windows 10, it would be a crippled version compared to the Windows 10 model coming out shortly after. Not worth it.

Somebody that gets it. Thank you.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The article is about carriers outside the US. Not everyone is in the US. US Carriers are a different animal altogether.

The same bias against buying WP devices has been reported on this forum by buyers all over the world, not just the US.

How is a WP flagship doomed to fail? .

This was in reference to the earlier claim that WP devices don't sell in essence saying they are not successful and effectively doomed to fail.

Under normal circumstances with a platform that was doing even reasonably well not releasing a flagship wouldn't be an issue but the a rapidly decreasing market share and only theoretical reasons so far to attract new users to Windows 10 going another 6 months being practically non existent in smartphone buyers minds is not a good strategy. And what is it about Windows 10 that is going to be so amazing that warrants waiting for it, apart from it being the latest version? What if Windows 10 doesn't change anything, will they stop releasing flagships till the next version of the OS?

Maybe we should ask, if low end devices are such a good idea why did WP market share shrink instead of grow compared to the other two leading platforms? Isn't that an indicator that this strategy as well isn't working as everyone would have people believe?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No. Not at all. There are enough flagship devices out there that STILL rate on the High-End even when compared to NEW flagship devices on other platforms to still stay relevant. The new OS will breathe new life into those devices and pave the way to even better ones in the future.

I totally agree with you. I waved my 1520 (respectfully) in Tuula's face this week and challenged her about how she can make a flagship that's better than this.

I was more than happy with what she had to say on the subject. Whatever comes next will be truly innovative, aspirational and have a high longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers