[Discussion] No flagship Lumia phone coming before Windows 10, Microsoft confirms

Status
Not open for further replies.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Mid April? On pre-order on Amazon in Europe. I think they will have a good battery life too, I think they have 20% more battery than my 920. I also imagine that the Snapdragon 400 is possibly much improved on my 920 processor.

Looking forward to them giving us an idea of when W10 will release. And I am hoping for some decent features, as well as decent phones. I'm positive about W10, and the potential it could bring.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe we should ask, if low end devices are such a good idea why...

Perhaps we should, for now, agree to disagree, since you obviously don't have the ability to see what is planned for the long term, being so blinded by thinking same past mistakes are being made that you cannot see the future vision of Microsoft.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't buy/keep a phone based on what others say. It's what works for me that is the ultimate factor. That being said, I am VERY intrigued by the Phoneblocks/Project Ara devices. Potentially, you upgrade out just what you want/need. No need for a whole new handset. You want better camera, upgrade just that. Want more memory, just add it. Etc.

It all sounds too good to be true, and I'm betting that they will price the components to be more expensive in the long run anyway.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
How is a WP flagship doomed to fail?

The issue is this: Why should Microsoft release a new flagship with the same old operating system, when they can wait, do it with Windows 10 preinstalled which will support more types of hardware and better hardware? Then they can put out a model that can really take advantage of Windows 10 fully to show the world what can be done. If they put out one before Windows 10, it would be a crippled version compared to the Windows 10 model coming out shortly after. Not worth it.

No one is asking for a crippled version of Windows 10 on a flagship phone to be released. Why not release a fully functional Windows 8.2 that many people don't have?
They could have easily done this in preparation for Windows 10. This is the time of the year for new phones to be released not Os's.... To delay releasing a new flagship phone or even leaking about it shows that Microsoft doesn't understand the importance of this to the public.

It's all well and good to release low end devices and even mid tier phones to the rest of the world but if they ever want the USA to embrace the platform this isn't the best way to go about it.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No one is asking for a crippled version of Windows 10 on a flagship phone to be released. Why not release a fully functional Windows 8.2 that many people don't have?
They could have easily done this in preparation for Windows 10. This is the time of the year for new phones to be released not Os's.... To delay releasing a new flagship phone or even leaking about it shows that Microsoft doesn't understand the importance of this to the public.

It's all well and good to release low end devices and even mid tier phones to the rest of the world but if they ever want the USA to embrace the platform this isn't the best way to go about it.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

I disagree. How many companies release tech previews to gauge customer feedback and then cull the results to release as close to a finished product as possible? Rushing a product to market can be disastrous and it is my opinion that Microsoft is doing it right.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk because it amuses me. Gotta problem with that?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. How many companies release tech previews to gauge customer feedback and then cull the results to release as close to a finished product as possible? Rushing a product to market can be disastrous and it is my opinion that Microsoft is doing it right.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk because it amuses me. Gotta problem with that?

There is a hellofadifference between releasing a flagship phone with the latest stable version of the current os as opposed to a alpha build which is what you would get with Windows 10. This would cause nothing but trouble they don't need. Releasing a Windows 10 version now would be a disaster for the general public.

Microsoft needs to release the latest version of Windows 8.2 with full Cortana support for the devices that can run it and have in place a Flagship phone that can utilize Windows 10 to the fullest now...

It's ludicrous to have to take a back seat to every other platform just because of the market share.

If they don't have the balls to compete head to head with them they should get the hell out of the race.

Cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Seriously... They should...

They have the means to do this.. and could easily take on the carriers head to head in sales here in their own Microsoft stores.

They are opening more stores each month.. Time to take the carriers out of the equation for sales. No carrier bloat... bypass them entirely for waiting on a update. They could offer subsidies just as easily and no one would ever have to wait on the carriers to put out a update again.

They could take on Google and Apple head to head and deal directly to the public.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft Windows phone market share has decreased some, but that doesn't mean they aren't selling any. Microsoft is making a profit. Therefore they can continue to sell phones. WP is not dead.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that MS should avoid too much Flagship talk for the next couple of months. Let people keep playing with W10 preview. Within the next 30 days there will be a new build out for that, and it will likely hit more phones. The 640 series hit in April, GDR 2 hits end of March for preview folks. June, momentum builds as we may gave had 3 solid W10 insider builds out. end of June to end of July the device tumours start to trickle out.

I'm interested to know if they have a pre-iPhone or post iPhone release as their target. Presumably before. Hopefully they see sense and only announce the devices when they have a definite short wait for shipping. Apple do that bit very well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There is a hellofadifference between releasing a flagship phone with the latest stable version of the current os as opposed to a alpha build which is what you would get with Windows 10. This would cause nothing but trouble they don't need. Releasing a Windows 10 version now would be a disaster for the general public.

Microsoft needs to release the latest version of Windows 8.2 with full Cortana support for the devices that can run it and have in place a Flagship phone that can utilize Windows 10 to the fullest now...

It's ludicrous to have to take a back seat to every other platform just because of the market share.

If they don't have the balls to compete head to head with them they should get the hell out of the race.

That's the whole point of the Tech Preview, to work out the bugs and not release a dud later on. Microsoft is not the only one seeing this logic, other OEMs are holding back until 10 is ready for a retail release. What do you think would happen to sales of "WP 8.2" devices if 10 were released over the summer? Tumbleweeds, that's what. The iPhone 5S is still available for sale, how do you think they're doing?

Microsoft is not going to cannibalize sales of a recent phone with W10 models for the sake of a few "loyal" customers that are constantly threatening to move on to another platform if they don't get a new flagship phone. I wouldn't want them as customers either.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
That's the whole point of the Tech Preview, to work out the bugs and not release a dud later on. Microsoft is not the only one seeing this logic, other OEMs are holding back until 10 is ready for a retail release. What do you think would happen to sales of "WP 8.2" devices if 10 were released over the summer? Tumbleweeds, that's what. The iPhone 5S is still available for sale, how do you think they're doing?

Microsoft is not going to cannibalize sales of a recent phone with W10 models for the sake of a few "loyal" customers that are constantly threatening to move on to another platform if they don't get a new flagship phone. I wouldn't want them as customers either.
The tech preview is NOT for the general publics consumption. It is Not a substitute for the latest update to Windows 8.2 and waiting for a fall release on a unproven os for the phone is stupid excuse to keep from releasing a flagship phone now.

Wait for the next upgrade wait for this... Wait for that... That is always the same lameass answer that is always given and it's a frigging crock of crap.

It's time they crap or get off the pot.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The tech preview is NOT for the general publics consumption.

I think I've said that twice now. I'll repeat one more time, Microsoft is not going to release any new flagship ahead of the W10 release. That would be a gross dereliction of their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders. Whether you consider it a lameass excuse or not is irrelevant. A new model requires tooling. Tooling requires a monetary commitment. Tooling requires modification of an existing assembly line, which requires time and money. To have to re-tool in a few months for yet another new model is insane if the only reason is to satisfy the same whining disloyal customers I mentioned earlier.

It's time to move on or this thread will meet its demise.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I think I've said that twice now. I'll repeat one more time, Microsoft is not going to release any new flagship ahead of the W10 release. That would be a gross dereliction of their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders. Whether you consider it a lameass excuse or not is irrelevant. A new model requires tooling. Tooling requires a monetary commitment. Tooling requires modification of an existing assembly line, which requires time and money. To have to re-tool in a few months for yet another new model is insane if the only reason is to satisfy the same whining disloyal customers I mentioned earlier.

It's time to move on or this thread will meet its demise.
You have said..... Really.... And since you have said this that this is the final word on the subject?

I don't think so.

A gross dereliction of their responsibilities to the shareholders? What about their gross dereliction to their customers here in the USA?

You think they only have 1 assembly line like a auto maker has that they have to retool to build a phone? That's funny.

Yes I do believe it is a lameass excuse they are using just as they always have used. Microsoft has elected to wait till later and has missed a golden opportunity to not only build interest in it's platform but has given a logical excuse to those who are wanting a high end phone to upgrade to a different camp to get one now.

Yes I firmly believe that this decision is very lame and downright stupid even though you are so eager to give them a free pass to do this.

With attitudes like this it's no wonder why they are not doing well here.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps we should, for now, agree to disagree, since you obviously don't have the ability to see what is planned for the long term, being so blinded by thinking same past mistakes are being made that you cannot see the future vision of Microsoft.

So its on to insults now? Funny how I've disagreed with others but they didn't feel the same need to question my "ability to see what is planned". Thanks, I'll continue discussing with others who can disagree while still maintaining a civil tone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has confirmed there will be no new flagship phones prior to the release of Windows 10. This discussion has reached the point of diminishing returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers