The Extremely Trivial Reasons I stay with Windows Phone

Evronian

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Another thing I love about WP is the design, I find Android's UI to be childish at times, and iOS is not too far from that.. WP instead looks neat, elegant, minimal, simple and modern.. The only downside is that sometimes you're not able to read the entire title of something cause it gets cut..

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It really is the little things that count... The happiness level on the messaging icon is something I only discovered recently and it is pretty dang cool.

Happiness level? Not noticed mine changed. I also didn't realise the tile animation altered depending where you hit the tile. Had my 920 years, but still learning new things.

I genuinely love the UI, the tiles rock. And my 920 is so tough, it is practically a weapon. Design on it is gorgeous.

Last edited:

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Come on guys! Lets keep this trivial:amaze: We all know the important reasons WP is great but lets start nit picking. Anyone else love the slightly curved edges of the 928/920 screen? Or the fact that the smiley face on the messenger icon has a nose? :)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The curved glass on my 920 is great! And the camera and volume buttons are a lovely material. And it seems really tough.

I love the way my phone does not have a noise when you turn it on. My HTC Desire had the most annoying habit of of playing a couple of notes at full blast when turning on. Ironically, it is just as the phone screen logo appears saying "HTC, quietly brilliant".

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My old yellow 720 and 1520. And my new orange 830. Lumia started the color revolution amongst the drab blacks, greys and whites.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Come on guys! Lets keep this trivial:amaze: We all know the important reasons WP is great but lets start nit picking. Anyone else love the slightly curved edges of the 928/920 screen? Or the fact that the smiley face on the messenger icon has a nose? :)
lol a huge argument could be made that my #3 and #7 are trivial.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I love the sliders, but I have a confession. It took me a year before I realised that you could tap them, and you didn't actually have to slide them.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Who I am determines what I buy. For others, what you buy determines who you are. I doubt SMOHEATH is that one dimensional. Besides, we are talking about "Trivial" reasons. So, technically, if being different is considered a trivial reason then he is aware that its not a reflection of his entire being.

Whatever I buy determines who I am because who I am determines what I buy. It's just so much trivial! ;)

Keyboard Kultist

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Identity is "extremely trivial?"

I was hatched in the late fifties (whew!), so I've overcome most of the conditioning I soaked up as a young couch potato, and I've learned to consciously avoid as much as I can the "tractor beam" that is modern advertising. Why? Because a fair chunk of their budgets are spent on psychology professionals whose goal in life is to help sucker us into thinking identity can be purchased instead of developed over time. They know how to hit us deep and hard. So now it's the differing utility and functions offered by competing OSs and "devices" that draw me, not the appearance, popularity or lack thereof. There used to be a comic strip called "Calvin & Hobbes," probably before your time Mr. smoheath, that had a hilarious take on this once.
Six year old Calvin was very impressed by an ad on TV, proclaiming that like the "manly man" on the screen, he would someday buy the same product and be the same way: tough and self-reliant! Hobbes, his stuffed tiger come to life, said something like, "Interesting. So you plan to express individuality by brand conformity." It's easy for us to say "they" are doing it, but harder to see in ourselves, ain't it.

And now I'll poke fun at you:
Hipster? You say hipster? Maybe slacker is more like it. No self-respecting hipster of my day would consider a market share around 3% something unique. No way! Why, we'd only settle for less than 1%, and that's why I still drive a Blackberry, by gum!

If you like having a research project for a phone, come join us if you dare. ;-)

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The reason I stay with windows phone is because I'm a Old-nokia/Lumia ******.

I would never use a non-lumia Windows phone .
I would also never use an Android Nokia phone.

Oh! and Shutter button. Only reason I chose an 830 over the 730

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Not really a trivial reason I guess, but I stay for the interface. I don't like the iPhone's UI at all, and Android, while able to have more customization, is confusing as all hell for me. I would get used to it, but I don't really want to. :)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Last week I read an article on another website about platform lock-in and why it's becoming harder to switch because of each platform's unique ecosystem. But I disagree. I don't stick with WP because of platform lock-in. I stick with WP because I'm allowed to. What I mean is, there is growing uniformity between the major platforms (Android, iOS, WP10). Out of the box functionality is so similar that I don't feel particularly gimped by using one OS over another.

There is some truth that there is peripheral lock-in. If I buy an Apple Watch or some sort of Android smarthwatch then I'm more likely to be locked into that ecosystem. Same with any work related apps (fortunately my job doesn't require any apps or peripherals). But Windows Phone 8/10 gets enough support that various options are available to me. I can get a smartwatch if I want or a third party app if an official one isn't available. So there's enough uniformity that I can choose whatever platform I want.

MoeJ

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I stick with Windows Phone because I think this will be possible in the near future (even though Motorola failed at it):
motorola-atrix-xl.jpg

I believe that phones are the future of "everyday computing." More and more people are using only their phones for surfing, email and social media.
The day that I can plug my phone into a doc and have a close to full desktop experience will be the greatest day ever! When that happens, I will only need my high end PC and my phone that can be a docked and be used as a laptop and/or tablet.

I also broke 4 iPhone 4S's in 2 years. No I did not drop them. Mostly receiver speaker blew and one kept locking up.
Also, I'm not too sure about Android.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I think Asus's phone that can slot into a tablet was the best idea so far. Eventually it should slot into the keyboard side and act at a touchpad and data connection. That way the it will add weight to the keyboard portion which will help the balance of the laptop device.

...Damn, I should patent that a soon as possible. That sounds like a great...

Vincentius Dalton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Things I love from Windows Phone:
1. Metro UI. It is so refreshing to see different kind of UI.
2. Physical camera button (old Lumias) and manual control in Lumia Camera. This drives me to learn photography techniques.
3. Haptic feedback when I press back, start, or search.
4. Bold and colorful phone design. And strong phone from Nokia hardware. I can confidently bring my phone anywhere without having to put any screen protector or cases.
5. Live tiles. I love pinning things in my start screen and changing the layout.
6. Panorama and hub apps. I guess they won't stay in Windows 10.
7. It is so smooth in my low-end, 512 MB Lumia even though I install different apps on regular basis.

I guess I can keep going on...

MK Shatnawi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Well were to start..
Ms office, one drive , Skype and soon Cortana are available to iOS and android .. And as far as I can tell work a lot better ( my wife has note3 ).
1-2 new MS branded phones are droping the capacitive buttons and going for on screen buttons, which I hate.
4 home screen design is either love or hate.. For me it does the Jo but can certainly do a lot better.

As for the last part.. Can only tell you that it made me laugh..
So what does your WP tell about you ?
Get over the fanboys staff and get the device that suits you..
Skipping a device just because a lot of ppl own it although is suits your needs the best is plain stupid.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Since it has to be trivial - i'd say Cortana because she is not even for my region and still i love her, although she denied my marriage proposal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786