I Don't Get It

Status
Not open for further replies.

clitrenta

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
We all know that it is darn near impossible to keep current with smart phones today since they release a new one what seems like every other day. So, I HAVE to ask. WHAT is going on with Windows Phone devices? I want SOOOO bad to pick up a high end flag ship device (phablet preferably) but everything that is out is either low/med end or "old" by technology standards. The 1520 would be perfect but it's been out a long time and I'd rather get it's successor if there is one. The problem is, I'm not seeing/hearing any rumors of something coming out soon that fits the bill. I really prefer the Nokia's but now that MS has it, who knows? I just wish they'd hurry up and figure it out

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You won't see a flagship until W10 is released. If you can't wait that long then get something low end to keep yourself occupied.

It's not that hard to figure out. Also by most people's standards the 1520 is the best smartphone going so take it from there.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 was so far ahead when it was released that it is still quite relevant today. This fall, most likely September, I believe we'll be seeing Windows 10 Flagship phones released. If you can handle waiting, it will be quite worth the wait.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
We all know that it is darn near impossible to keep current with smart phones today since they release a new one what seems like every other day. So, I HAVE to ask. WHAT is going on with Windows Phone devices? I want SOOOO bad to pick up a high end flag ship device (phablet preferably) but everything that is out is either low/med end or "old" by technology standards. The 1520 would be perfect but it's been out a long time and I'd rather get it's successor if there is one. The problem is, I'm not seeing/hearing any rumors of something coming out soon that fits the bill. I really prefer the Nokia's but now that MS has it, who knows? I just wish they'd hurry up and figure it out

Most people who are just like you don't get it either.

I refuse to waste my money on a low end device to tied me over waiting for a flagship phone to be released in the fall... To me that is just dumb. I'm sorry but if Microsoft chooses to continue to disappoint those of us who want high end phones I'll spend my money elsewhere. It won't do any good to complain about it since most folks here have elected to give Microsoft a free pass to do this and not complain about it.

I might try to find a decent used 1520 somewhere off contract though... It would be the only one I would spend money on right now if I was wanting to upgrade from a lower tier device.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Most people who are just like you don't get it either.

I refuse to waste my money on a low end device to tied me over waiting for a flagship phone to be released in the fall... To me that is just dumb. I'm sorry but if Microsoft chooses to continue to disappoint those of us who want high end phones I'll spend my money elsewhere. It won't do any good to complain about it since most folks here have elected to give Microsoft a free pass to do this and not complain about it.

I might try to find a decent used 1520 somewhere off contract though... It would be the only one I would spend money on right now.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

You say all of that but you are posting from an M8. Is that phone not high end enough for you. I'm just curious?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Ms has no phablets, they just have some bigger phones with nothing special what makes it a phablet. The 1520 and the 1320 are the only and probably the last 6" models. The 640 XL is smaller than those two mentioned before.

Btw i am quite content with my 1320, it does everything i want or need.
I don't need a high end phone, i just need a good phone.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You say all of that but you are posting from an M8. Is that phone not high end enough for you. I'm just curious?

No not really, not with all the new technology that is available now.

It's a great phone but it's time for a newer version or different one

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
No, he wants an 8K display AT MINIMUM, and if its not 16-core 10.5 GHz, forget about it.

LOL...

A 2k or 4k screen will suffice depending on the size of the screen as long as it has a minimum of 4 gigs of ddr4 ram and a minimum of 64 gigs of ssd type internal storage with a 810 processor and the latest version of WiFi chips and radios for connectivity which allows for terabytes of external storage... Oh... Also the best available camera module and amplified stereo speakers with full Dolby capabilities... I'm not asking for much.... Lol

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The 640 XL in my opinion is a High End device. At least when it comes to looks. I plan to upgrade my 635 to it soon.
That's the key. It looks like a high end device. It gives people who can't afford a true flagship, or those who are more budget conscious, an opportunity for the larger screen without breaking the bank for that extra 5% processing speed that many of us will never need.

I never wanted the big screen because they were too expensive for my thriftiness. While I may have money to spend on a flagship every time it is released, I have better things to do like save it for my children's education expenses.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
And we know what'll happen when the flagship eventually does get released, it'll be exclusive to one carrier who will do their utmost not to sell it and by the time its released elsewhere better tech will be available. The reality is, with the same old people calling the shots for WP nothing is going to change.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I think you read my mind. It is really frustrating to see OEM's like Samsung & HTC crank out world-class flagship hardware that grown ups want to get their tech enthused hands on! I have been checking out the info from MWC and I can't help but to be sad and increasingly frustrated at Microsoft. When it comes to the platform they consistently arrive a day late and a dollar short to the party.
It amazes me how a company with the deep pockets and resources that the boys in Redmond do have no idea how to crank out hardware that screams: CHOOSE ME. Taking care of the low end market and the enterprise potential is fine but they cannot afford to continue to drag their feet when it comes to the high end market. They need to be more than competent, they need to be COMPELLING. If HTC can continue to right it's ship with cutting edge hardware and beautifully fluid software and if Samsung can finally produce a phone that could go toe to toe with Apple on its own merits then why in the Sam Hill can't Microsoft get it together and produce a phone that people want?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Imran Pervez

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm a 1020 owner and my frustrations are growing by the day...and I love my phone! The WiFi and Bluetooth becomes unresponsive (the toggle remains in the on position but is highlighted grey and the loading dots at the top get stuck in a loop). The only way to fix it...restart.

During text messages after one is sent or received in the same thread...the keyboard becomes unresponsive that I have to wait it out for a minimum of 30 seconds or leave the messaging app and re-open to attempt to reply again.

The camera feels slower than it ever has! It is fully update and not running the DP! Feels as if the updates aren't fully optimized for my phone.

The app situation was never such a big deal for me but I recently switched banks and my new banking app is a web wrapper at best. I almost decided against switching banks because I knew what the other app for my new bank would be like based on the reviews and screenshots. It came down to a choice between staying with my old bank - whose service, apart from the app funnily enough, has been abysmal at best - or moving to a better bank which had a lackluster app (only for windows phone of course). To have made the choice based on the poor app quality would just be stupid imho.

My battery life has went completely down the toilet - have to charge twice a day with minimum usage with mobile data off most of the time.

The resuming screen is murder too! A real pain in the ***!

I practically reset my phone every two months hoping for the best. Windows 10 better solve these issues. The app situation is the last issue for me in terms of the bigger picture even though I had a good moan about it lol.

Anyways, I'm buying a 2nd hand iPhone plus as my new phone and keeping the 1020 as a secondary until Windows 10 comes with a new flagship phone. I just hope iOS doesn't woo me in too much...MS services seem to be better there too :/

But I will totally miss the live tiles. They are by far my fav feature of windows phone.

Last edited:

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Yea I get that Microsoft will wait till windows 10 is ready to release a flagship phone sometime later this year ... I just wonder if that is a good plan ... With my budget I can only afford to new phone every two years or so ... I have a 920 which mostly works , the camera goes black and I have to restart the phone to fix and the battery life has gotten pretty bad ... So here I am ... If I was a person with spare cash I would just buy a phone to hold me over till the Sept or whenever windows 10 is ready . Please don't tell me to buy the 635 , it's not as cheap here in Asia as it is the US. Yea I love having a phone with a good camera on board and so if they released a 2015 flagship phone that would be upgradeable to windows 10 I would buy it and wait happily... It's my thinking .... Do android phone makers wait till the next version of Android is released before selling a new phone .

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yea I get that Microsoft will wait till windows 10 is ready to release a flagship phone sometime later this year ... I just wonder if that is a good plan ... With my budget I can only afford to new phone every two years or so ... I have a 920 which mostly works , the camera goes black and I have to restart the phone to fix and the battery life has gotten pretty bad ... So here I am ... If I was a person with spare cash I would just buy a phone to hold me over till the Sept or whenever windows 10 is ready . Please don't tell me to buy the 635 , it's not as cheap here in Asia as it is the US. Yea I love having a phone with a good camera on board and so if they released a 2015 flagship phone that would be upgradeable to windows 10 I would buy it and wait happily... It's my thinking .... Do android phone makers wait till the next version of Android is released before selling a new phone .

what about Lumia 520 is it that expensive in your country?

No, android has his os pretty much up to date....only tweaking are made...

MS is re-writing a new os from scratch...Yes, that will take time..How much time? They started last year...

So MS has to take his time to make sure no stone would not un-turned to make it right..

What about the 640 coming out??...it is not a so flagship but it will have pretty much the same OS and upgradable to Win10...Would that work?

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it interesting that very valid issues some of us have with phones that can be considered 'legacy' devices when compared with the pace of the other OEM's? I personally really,really,really love everything about WP but I feel like its in the 'wrong hands' lol Can you imagine for a moment if Google or Apple controlled the OS? If their sole intent was to streamline and improve it, iron out the bugs and produce amazing hardware to match and most importantly of all, GET THE DEVELOPERS ON BOARD, would it look like Windows 10? Who knows? What I do know is that Windows 10 must impress & inspire. Anything less and Apple and Google and HTC, and Samsung and LG and a handful of others will continue to leave Microsoft and WP in the dust

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft is really in a bad spot for consumers right now as I think they revealed W10 a bit too early for consumers. They should have revealed it to developers first in a somewhat less buzz event and let them beta test first. Then release a solid flagship this year for those who are out of contract/impatient. With 8.1 & Emerald (or whatever they want to name it)(preferably stability purposes).

Then on IFA, the grand release of W10 and a phablet flagship. Create the biggest buzz whatever and maybe do something like Nokia World or something. I mean that should all fall in place right. Oh and a promised update to the prior flagships by the EOY.

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 is an insider program. This is before developers preview! In insider program, they ask us consumers to give feedback on how to improve the OS by adding new features. After they have a fully satisfied OS, they release developers preview through which developers can test the OS and make apps. After that they will release it for all.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 is an insider program. This is before developers preview! In insider program, they ask us consumers to give feedback on how to improve the OS by adding new features. After they have a fully satisfied OS, they release developers preview through which developers can test the OS and make apps. After that they will release it for all.

I know, my point is they revealed too much about Windows 10 especially letting consumers to play test around with it and give feedback. That's not a bad thing don't get me wrong. But it created that unbelievable hype and that for some even develop that certain desire of wanting it ASAP especially in a flagship. I mean you see it everywhere on the forums.

"Flagship now! Or I jump ship!"

If they lay down a bit I think that would help. The release of the recent android flagships certainly doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo