Should Bing.com be replaced with Cortana.com?

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd thought of this a couple weeks ago, and it was briefly brought up on the most recent Windows Weekly where Brad Sams was a guest. What if bing.com simply became Cortana.com?

The reason is simple: while Bing obviously is important behind the scenes, no one outside of us diehards think to go to the website. Since Cortana is more and more becoming the public, front end for Bing - with very positive reception - might it make sense for "her" to have her own website as well? I'm not about to suggest that suddenly everyone will drop Google, but like with so many Microsoft products, people have a negative perception of Bing.

What do you think?

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I really like Bing and I really don't understand why Microsoft doesn't put out sum really good radio and tv adverts to get ppl using it.
Why don't they make one of those really irritating adverts that everyone will hate but everyone will repeat.
For example, have random ppl in all walks of life asking a question such as, who's the manager of Manchester United? And then have a random person shout BING IT!. Then another different personasking where does Sugar come from, and then another different person shouting BING IT!!
etc etc etc etc.
There could be loads of them, it would be the type of advert that ppl would repeat in real everyday life...
Anyway, what do I know...

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
That actually would take the stigma out of it. I use it at work. Someone asked a question in our chat and someone said "Google it". I use Bing and found the answer and posted the results. Another person said "WPN00B found it!" And I said "I Bing'd it"

Got some LOLs but the more people hear it the less it sounds weird. I think "Googling" and "Google it" sound funny now.

Last edited:

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The term google it was used for so long that it would hard to change unless someone start to say bing it instead..and not to confound with bang it>>>>LOL

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I try to avoid saying "google it" and use "search" instead. Then again, that could be because my search engine use goes back to the yahoo / infoseek / ask jeeves days, so my first experiences were teachers telling me to "search for..."

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I try to avoid saying "google it" and use "search" instead. Then again, that could be because my search engine use goes back to the yahoo / infoseek / ask jeeves days, so my first experiences were teachers telling me to "search for..."

I do this as well since I take support calls :)

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
You're right about Bing having a poor image in the eyes of many people. That included me. In fact, everything from MSFT was tainted in my eyes, but I've managed to re-educate myself, and now I find myself impressed with MSFT.

A rebranding could work. Not a bad idea at all.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Like I said earlier, if Microsoft really advertised Bing properly it could really take off. I think they just may do this around the same time Windows 10 gets released... I hope they soon becomes Apples default search engine too...

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say "replace", instead I would "complement" each other. Cortana could be the replacement MSN.com, but instead it would be tailored to you based on Cortana's knowledge of you. So would show your Flight Tracking info or your schedule for the day... So many things could be done.

On the subject of Bing, I was on a business workshop a couple weeks ago, when the 'host' kept mentioning google this, google that... I got annoyed with it, so I kept firing back "I'll bing it", got a few laughs. However the room was 80% iPhones so I said you all use Bing on it, of which most were surprised as they thought it was Google! LOL

G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99