Microsofts high end high risk strategy

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Been away for a while as nothing new happening on Windows Forum really, I see the same old topics being regurgitated which is to be expected as predicted by many due to the purchase and integration of Nokia and upcoming release of W10. I am one of those who is waiting for a high end flagship and since I own a 920 and 1020, the wait has actually opened my eyes. Tech companies anchor 'the best' to their latest releases, but are they really? With my 1020 I still have a leading camera, it does what I need it to do and I know it will get W10.

Coming back to the main title of the thread, Microsoft have coupled Windows 10 and their next High end device together. We all know software has bugs and new ones will arise after the release. With the media and competitors waiting with baited breath for these bugs so they can use it as a hammer to hit MS with, is it wise to release a high end device at the same time?

If the device is flawed in any way then that will reflect badly not only on MS as a manufacturer, it will also be a nail others can use against Windows 10. The device has to be purrrfect for it to succeed and with the time taken one can only hope.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
In this day and age of fast turn around tech and software, there is no such thing as a perfect device or perfect software. Even iOS and iPhones have issues. You just don't hear about it like you do the screams of MS haters.

What has hurt and will continue to hurt MS is the lack of apps over the OS and any defective devices. So long as they keep missing the 'must haves' people will avoid the ecosystem. You can have the best camera, OS and everything else but means squat if you don't have the apps people want.

I hope their universal apps idea works, for their sake.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Here is what I wonder in regards to the "high end" Microsoft phone...why is it even needed?

Windows Phone OS supposedly runs the best on low-end hardware - especially compared to the latest iOS and Android versions. If you see Windows Phone OS as the mobile version of Chrome OS - does high end hardware really make sense?

No one buys the Chromebook Pixel because dropping $1000 on a high end device that runs an OS that can work just as good on a $150 device does not make sense.

Perhaps paying $600+ for a phone that features an OS that runs perfectly fine on a $150 device is also ridiculous. The so-called "mid-range" devices ARE the Windows high end devices.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Here is what I wonder in regards to the "high end" Microsoft phone...why is it even needed?

Windows Phone OS supposedly runs the best on low-end hardware - especially compared to the latest iOS and Android versions. If you see Windows Phone OS as the mobile version of Chrome OS - does high end hardware really make sense?

No one buys the Chromebook Pixel because dropping $1000 on a high end device that runs an OS that can work just as good on a $150 device does not make sense.

Perhaps paying $600+ for a phone that features an OS that runs perfectly fine on a $150 device is also ridiculous. The so-called "mid-range" devices ARE the Windows high end devices.

You seemed to have forgotten that MS is now starting to differentiate what a flagship device has and what a mid and low end device has in the way of features. I expect this distinction to continue.

You need to look no further than the recent updates to realise there is a rift opening between the different tiers of phones. This is a good move on MS's part as this is one of the sticking points made clear by your post. What's the point of getting a high end phone if it doesn't offer anything different? This was the mistake initially with WP, that is now changing and will probably upset a lot of people.

The low and mid range phones simply won't have all the features. The flagship will be the device that has it all. It will be the premium device. Sure the OS will work well on low and mid range phones but don't expect them to have the best of anything. That will be the flagship.

That's why people buy flagships. Because they want it all. It's a bit of an ego thing but if you have the ability to get the best why not have it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2