Pushing market share for Microsoft Mobile...

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Given that most OEMs have no continuous revenue stream beyond the device sale, and that carriers need to be incentivized to sell Windows phones, I was wondering if a Windows Store "profit sharing" plan might help.

What if MS took 25% of store revenue instead of 30% and they split that 5% between the OEM that made the device the apps were purchased from and the carrier that services that device? Something like 3% to the OEM and 2% to the carrier?

This would give OEMs a continued revenue stream for their Windows Phone devices, incentivizing them to push them over other devices.

It would likewise incentivize carriers to sell Windows devices over other platforms.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to push market share...

Not sound business at all!!!!

Why should MS 'bribe' developers or carriers to push their devices?? It reeks of desperation...
The only people who seem to be really bothered about 'market share', is a section of the WP user base.

I chose WP because it is a better experience than the other platforms. Whether other people use them or not makes no difference to me.
As for apps.... Who cares???

Apps... the greatest marketing con of all time!!!!

Most apps offer very little productivity IMHO. They are like little onboard gadgets. Most app fuctions can be done over the internet. Obviously more data is used. What a lot of people don't realise is that all apps consume data via the web in some form or another.

Anyway, I use WP 'cos it works...

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Given that most OEMs have no continuous revenue stream beyond the device sale, and that carriers need to be incentivized to sell Windows phones, I was wondering if a Windows Store "profit sharing" plan might help.

What if MS took 25% of store revenue instead of 30% and they split that 5% between the OEM that made the device the apps were purchased from and the carrier that services that device? Something like 3% to the OEM and 2% to the carrier?

This would give OEMs a continued revenue stream for their Windows Phone devices, incentivizing them to push them over other devices.

It would likewise incentivize carriers to sell Windows devices over other platforms.

What do you think?

Excellent proposal. But forget carriers and developers. WP doesn't have enough big time dev's in the store. And for sure carriers dont care.

Why not feed the hungry. And give incentives to users?

Example: Recommended a friend and get a free Lumia. Or something simple like share this device with 100 people and get $5 credit from the store.

So on......

Last edited:

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Forgive my ignorance here but can't Microsoft, along with their deep pockets, make apps on the behalf of companies (ex: BofA banking app) that are missing from the windows store? And of course offer tech support for it for some temporary period.

Now this sounds silly and companies can take advantage of MS desperation but I am banking on the superiority of their operating system along with Win10 ecosystem synergy.

Or is this ...a silly option/strategy?

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Forgive my ignorance here but can't Microsoft, along with their deep pockets, make apps on the behalf of companies (ex: BofA banking app) that are missing from the windows store? And of course offer tech support for it for some temporary period.

Now this sounds silly and companies can take advantage of MS desperation but I am banking on the superiority of their operating system along with Win10 ecosystem synergy.

Or is this ...a silly option/strategy?

I think it is the Bank that produce the app to make it works with their secure website....So I would say no>>>>my opinion

Why can't you use the website to do your banking unless you need check deposit?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Like I've said in a few other posts, you all don't get it. WP doesn't offer enough of something new or cool to make anyone on IOS or Android drop their current platform. They have lost the mind share war. The only to gain market share now is by spending an insane amount of cash marketing the hell out the new W10 phones that are released on every carrier at the same time all over the world(to make that happen, they will have to pay the US carriers a lot of cash) with a huge and i mean gigantic market campaign like we have never seen before, I mean all day and night all you see and hear is W10 as a platform and phones for 6+ months continuously just like Samsung did.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
When you are with a company too long and have invested so much money in one ecosystem then it would be a lost to jump ship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss